The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Worked with Methuselah (https://forum.officiating.com/football/92769-worked-methuselah.html)

maven Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:00am

Worked with Methuselah

So I had a frosh game last night, and Methuselah demanded to be the R (and wore his white hat, too, which we don't do around here in sub-varsity games). Fine, I'll work wherever. I ended up as U, which I will do only when the players' average weight is less than 175!.

Guy moved pretty well for being 900 years old. He did want to make a sideline INT a spot foul after a long run, but we fixed that.

Me: "Methuselah! METHUSELAH! That's succeeding spot enforcement for a non-player foul!"

Him: "Oh that's right, it's a dead-ball foul." — That, I didn't fix. ;)

Rich Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 860201)
So I had a frosh game last night, and Methuselah demanded to be the R (and wore his white hat, too, which we don't do around here in sub-varsity games). Fine, I'll work wherever. I ended up as U, which I will do only when the players' average weight is less than 175!.

Guy moved pretty well for being 900 years old. He did want to make a sideline INT a spot foul after a long run, but we fixed that.

Me: "Methuselah! METHUSELAH! That's succeeding spot enforcement for a non-player foul!"

Him: "Oh that's right, it's a dead-ball foul." — That, I didn't fix. ;)

Only a pedant would fix that. Actually, only a pedant would say, "That's succeeding spot enforcement for a non-player foul!", so never mind. :D

grunewar Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:12pm

Quote:

Guy moved pretty well for being 900 years old.

If I've told you once, I've told you 173 times not to exaggerate! ;)

maven Fri Oct 26, 2012 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 860217)
Only a pedant would fix that. Actually, only a pedant would say, "That's succeeding spot enforcement for a non-player foul!", so never mind. :D

My self-image as a pedant is not in jeopardy, so I will just remark that I had to say something to him to explain why I was not going 20 yards upfield to enforce the penalty from the spot of the wing's flag. He kept pointing over there, you see...

Rich Fri Oct 26, 2012 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 860241)
My self-image as a pedant is not in jeopardy, so I will just remark that I had to say something to him to explain why I was not going 20 yards upfield to enforce the penalty from the spot of the wing's flag. He kept pointing over there, you see...

Just tell him it's an LED foul. He'll wonder what a television has to do with a football game. :D

CT1 Fri Oct 26, 2012 02:54pm

Quote:

Guy moved pretty well for being 900 years old.

You young turds crack me up sometimes. :p

BktBallRef Fri Oct 26, 2012 04:01pm

Quote:

(and wore his white hat, too, which we don't do around here in sub-varsity games).

Never understood that philosophy.

Adam Fri Oct 26, 2012 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 860281)
Never understood that philosophy.

Which philosophy?

APG Fri Oct 26, 2012 07:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 860285)
Which philosophy?

Not wearing the white hat if you're the referee in sub-varsity games. Quite frankly, I don't understand it either.

Forksref Fri Oct 26, 2012 09:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 860297)
Not wearing the white hat if you're the referee in sub-varsity games. Quite frankly, I don't understand it either.

Don't understand it so we don't do it.

In SD recently a white hat passed away (off the field BTW) and the crew got special permission to have the replacement and the rest of the crew wear black hats in the remaining games as a tribute. Kinda nice.

Welpe Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 860217)
Only a pedant would fix that.

Who do you think you're talking to? :D

Oh wait, we don't know who this maven character is. ;)