The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Pass hits Goal Post (https://forum.officiating.com/football/92765-pass-hits-goal-post.html)

Redneck Ref Fri Oct 26, 2012 07:38am

Pass hits Goal Post
 
A on B's 5 yard line. As pass is tipped by B then hits the goal post which bounces back to player A who catches the ball in the end zone. What do you have, touchdown or incomplete?

bigjohn Fri Oct 26, 2012 07:38am

Inc Goalpost is out of bounds.

http://forum.officiating.com/footbal...ut-bounds.html

JugglingReferee Fri Oct 26, 2012 08:22am

Canadian Ruling
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck Ref (Post 860154)
A on B's 5 yard line. As pass is tipped by B then hits the goal post which bounces back to player A who catches the ball in the end zone. What do you have, touchdown or incomplete?

CANADIAN RULING:

Incomplete as soon as the ball hits the goal post. No need to wait before blowing it dead.

Redneck Ref Sat Oct 27, 2012 02:19am

If goal posts are out of bounds then why when a try for point or field goal attempt hits the goal post and goes through it counts as a score?

HLin NC Sat Oct 27, 2012 06:27am

Have you ever actually looked at a set of goalposts?

A kick touching the crossbar or upright and continuing through the goal is an exception listed in 4-2-2d.

johnnyg08 Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck Ref (Post 860327)
If goal posts are out of bounds then why when a try for point or field goal attempt hits the goal post and goes through it counts as a score?

You're comparing a kicking rule to a throwing rule. Can't do that. Well you can, but there aren't any similarities.

maven Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 860351)
You're comparing a kicking rule to a throwing rule. Can't do that. Well you can, but there aren't any similarities.

Sure you can. When a live ball touches something OOB, the ball is dead by rule, whether it's a pass, a kick, or any other loose ball. The question is perfectly reasonable.

Only an explicit exception allows a kick to score by passing through the goal. HLinNC has quoted it.

Texas Aggie Sat Oct 27, 2012 04:00pm

This isn't that difficult. The NCAA rules, and I would suspect Fed is similar, declares that a kick striking a goal post, but going through the uprights, is an exception to the rule that would make it OOB on other plays, such as one involving a pass that hits it.

I haven't had a pass hit the post, but I've had a kid run with the ball after a kick hit it. We shut it down pretty quickly and only needed a very quick explanation.

bkdow Tue Oct 30, 2012 09:56am

We have fields here where the goal post padding is protruding into the field. If a player or ball contacts that padding, they are out of bounds. Otherwise, we are justing trying to split hairs to prove the absurd.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1