The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Free Kick Out of Bounds (https://forum.officiating.com/football/92668-free-kick-out-bounds.html)

Scuba_ref Mon Oct 15, 2012 05:58pm

Free Kick Out of Bounds

K muffs the kick out of bounds or the kick accidently contacts K and then bounces out of bounds - kick out of bounds infraction?

R muffs kick then K muffs kick and then ball goes out of bounds - kick out of bounds infraction?

In both cases the kick has not ended. I can't find anything other than the situation where R muffs the kick out of bounds which is not a foul.

Am I right or missing something here?

Thanks

CT1 Mon Oct 15, 2012 06:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_ref (Post 858479)
(Play 1) K muffs the kick out of bounds or the kick accidently contacts K and then bounces out of bounds - kick out of bounds infraction?

(Play 2) R muffs kick then K muffs kick and then ball goes out of bounds - kick out of bounds infraction?

In both cases the kick has not ended. I can't find anything other than the situation where R muffs the kick out of bounds which is not a foul.

Am I right or missing something here?

Thanks

The foul is for a free kick going OOB untouched by R.

So, you're right in Play 1, wrong in Play 2.

Scuba_ref Mon Oct 15, 2012 06:24pm

Thank you.

I also just found 6.1.8 SITUATION B which has R muff the kick and then K touch the kick before it rolls out of bounds. Ball to team R at the out of bounds spot.

maven Mon Oct 15, 2012 08:39pm

6-1-8: "A free kick shall not be kicked out of bounds between the goal lines
untouched inbounds by R."

Robert Goodman Tue Oct 16, 2012 01:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_ref (Post 858479)
K muffs the kick out of bounds or the kick accidently contacts K and then bounces out of bounds - kick out of bounds infraction?

NFL yes, NCAA & Fed no.
Quote:

R muffs kick then K muffs kick and then ball goes out of bounds - kick out of bounds infraction?
NFL yes, NCAA & Fed no.

Welpe Tue Oct 16, 2012 07:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 858544)
NFL yes, NCAA & Fed no.

Incorrect on the first.

MD Longhorn Tue Oct 16, 2012 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert goodman (Post 858544)
nfl, ncaa & fed yes.

nfl yes, ncaa & fed no.

fify

Robert Goodman Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 858554)
Quote:

NFL yes, NCAA & Fed no.
Incorrect on the first.

No, I'm right on the 1st. It's not a foul in NFL if team R is last to touch it before it goes out of bounds, otherwise it's a foul. The situation described was one where team R was not last to touch it. But now that I look at it, I was incorrect on the last (NCAA & Fed), which should've been "yes"; when I first read it, I hadn't noticed that R apparently hadn't touched the ball at all.

MD Longhorn Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 858615)
No, I'm right on the 1st. It's not a foul in NFL if team R is last to touch it before it goes out of bounds, otherwise it's a foul. The situation described was one where team R was not last to touch it. But now that I look at it, I was incorrect on the last (NCAA & Fed), which should've been "yes"; when I first read it, I hadn't noticed that R apparently hadn't touched the ball at all.

Trolling? Or reading problem...

"NFL yes, NCAA & Fed no" is the wrong answer for the first situation. It is YES for all three. This is what Welpe (and I) told you. Converting the 2 situations into 4 by splitting up the words doesn't make you right - it makes you a troll. You decide.

Robert Goodman Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 858629)
Trolling? Or reading problem...

"NFL yes, NCAA & Fed no" is the wrong answer for the first situation. It is YES for all three. This is what Welpe (and I) told you. Converting the 2 situations into 4 by splitting up the words doesn't make you right - it makes you a troll. You decide.

Sorry, not trying to troll. I see what you meant now. When you quoted just one situation and I answered for different rule sets, I assumed that by "first" you meant my answer, "NFL yes".

Part of the problem here is that there's no nesting of quotes in the automatic quoting feature.

Welpe Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 858635)
Sorry, not trying to troll. I see what you meant now. When you quoted just one situation and I answered for different rule sets, I assumed that by "first" you meant my answer, "NFL yes".

I was unclear. I meant you were incorrect on the first scenario.

Texas Aggie Tue Oct 16, 2012 04:36pm

Quote:

it makes you a troll
Please stop with the troll BS. He isn't a troll.

If you think someone is really a troll, THEN DON'T RESPOND. That will eliminate the issue.