The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   NFL Uprights (https://forum.officiating.com/football/92660-nfl-uprights.html)

tmagan Sun Oct 14, 2012 07:43pm

NFL Uprights

Often, we will see a field goal go over an upright, which is a legal goal in the NFL, but often with controversy, because it is hard to prove, or disprove. The logical thing, to me, would be to raise the uprights. The only drawback I can imagine are safety issues, exposing the uprights to more wind. Could there be any other drawbacks, because if a Super Bowl is decided over a ball going over an upright, there would be hell to pay the next day.

Robert Goodman Sun Oct 14, 2012 07:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmagan (Post 858297)
Often, we will see a field goal go over an upright, which is a legal goal in the NFL, but often with controversy, because it is hard to prove, or disprove. The logical thing, to me, would be to raise the uprights. The only drawback I can imagine are safety issues, exposing the uprights to more wind. Could there be any other drawbacks, because if a Super Bowl is decided over a ball going over an upright, there would be hell to pay the next day.

Their height, or minimum height, has already been raised 2 times, or 3 if you want to consider pre-NFL history. It's always the same issue.

tmagan Sun Oct 14, 2012 08:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 858301)
Their height, or minimum height, has already been raised 2 times, or 3 if you want to consider pre-NFL history. It's always the same issue.

Kicker's legs are stronger now, I think this is a disaster waiting to happen. It did happen in the 1986 AFC Championship game in Cleveland in OT, if that happened today, it would be a weeks worth of controversy.

JRutledge Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:11pm

It is only controversial to those that do not know the rules and complain about things they have no idea about. What else is new?

Peace

Adam Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrutledge (Post 858318)
it is only controversial to those that do not know the rules and complain about things they have no idea about. What else is new?

Peace

+1

APG Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:58am

I can't remember anything recently happening save for the end of one of the games with the replacement officials...but that controversy was more the fact that it was a replacement official making the call...and a correct one at that. Could they raise the uprights? I suppose they could, but that would only to be solve an "issue" that hardly comes up (at least in the sense where people who actually know the rules have a hard time saying conclusively or not).

Welpe Mon Oct 15, 2012 07:20am

I think it really is a non-issue. Any portion of the ball over the upright? No good. I am not an engineer and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night but I would think raising the upright height even further without widening them would lead to structural stability issues, especially when wind comes into play.

grunewar Mon Oct 15, 2012 07:31am

Lasers on the goal posts. So, when the ball goes over them, on replay you'll see exactly if it's in, out, or over.......or, whatever. :p

Welpe Mon Oct 15, 2012 07:49am

Plasma cutters. If any portion of the ball is missing, you know it was no good. :D

waltjp Mon Oct 15, 2012 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 858335)
Plasma cutters. If any portion of the ball is missing, you know it was no good. :D

Yikes! I guess that means no more Goodyear blimp at football games!

MD Longhorn Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:20am

Honestly, I don't think some sort of visible light extending upward is all that bad an idea.

You want to get super hi-tech? Get rid of the uprights completely. Just a bottom bar that projects a red field straight up, equipped with the technology used by police radar... if the field is interrupted, it's good.

Adam Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 858369)
Honestly, I don't think some sort of visible light extending upward is all that bad an idea.

You want to get super hi-tech? Get rid of the uprights completely. Just a bottom bar that projects a red field straight up, equipped with the technology used by police radar... if the field is interrupted, it's good.

But then who would Bill Belichick grab when the game was over?

HLin NC Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:17am

Cheap technology alternative- fiberglass rod extensions like the bicycle flags were on in the 10 speed heyday.

APG Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 858369)

In all seriousness, I do think that some sort of laser technology will be employed in the future...perhaps have them situated on top of the uprights. I still think we're a while away from that though.

voiceoflg Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 858388)
In all seriousness, I do think that some sort of laser technology will be employed in the future...perhaps have them situated on top of the uprights. I still think we're a while away from that though.

Then how would you determine if the ball would have bounced through or not if the ball contacts the laser beam?

:confused:

MD Longhorn Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by voiceoflg (Post 858393)
Then how would you determine if the ball would have bounced through or not if the ball contacts the laser beam?

Why would you have to determine that???

jchamp Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 858384)
Cheap technology alternative- fiberglass rod extensions like the bicycle flags were on in the 10 speed heyday.

This is similar to what I was thinking. Put a little screw-in slot in the top of each goal post, then screw in a 30-foot tall aluminum rod, or just have a 30-foot telescoping antenna, like a much longer version of what I used to have on my old portable TV. If the ball touches it at all, no good. Best part is, you could even check it on re-play--you wouldn't need to move the officials to under the goal posts, since the ball will be dead if it goes that far, anyways. The score is checked by an official who views it in a booth, like in ice hockey.

HLin NC Mon Oct 15, 2012 01:28pm

Quote:

Put a little screw-in slot in the top of each goal post
Hey, I was just thinking, volleyball already does it. Quick- to the patent office!!!

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/micr...e-product3.jpg

JugglingReferee Mon Oct 15, 2012 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 858333)
Lasers on the goal posts. So, when the ball goes over them, on replay you'll see exactly if it's in, out, or over.......or, whatever. :p

Hmmm..... Gives me an idea.

BktBallRef Mon Oct 15, 2012 08:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by voiceoflg (Post 858393)

There is no upright where the laser would be. Therefore, it makes no difference if it "would have bounced through or not." This is for above the upright. The laser is only to determine whether the ball is INSIDE the upright or not.

You can't extend an upright to the moon.

Robert Goodman Tue Oct 16, 2012 01:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 858330)
I am not an engineer and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night but I would think raising the upright height even further without widening them would lead to structural stability issues, especially when wind comes into play.

I saw that in 1983 at the USARFU national championships in Hartford, where the desires for precision and safety had combined to produce very tall plastic uprights that bent quite a bit in the wind.

bkdow Tue Oct 16, 2012 02:44pm

at some point, we'll just have the whole thing officiated by video and replay. We could sell it for the aspect of safety for the refs and the accuracy of the game...:eek:

Part of the aspect of sports is the human side to officials and players. When that disappears, the fan base dimishes.

Just leave it and don't sweat the stuff that happens one time in a million ;)

jchamp Tue Oct 16, 2012 05:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 858424)
Hey, I was just thinking, volleyball already does it. Quick- to the patent office!!!

Sad thing is, you could probably get the district court of East Texas to uphold your complaint against a company if you patented it and they went and made it.

BktBallRef Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkdow (Post 858655)
at some point, we'll just have the whole thing officiated by video and replay. We could sell it for the aspect of safety for the refs and the accuracy of the game...:eek:

Part of the aspect of sports is the human side to officials and players. When that disappears, the fan base dimishes.

Just leave it and don't sweat the stuff that happens one time in a million ;)

You think the human element was a necessity when Jeff Nelson blew the world's most obvious out on the tag at second base in the Giants-Cards Game 2?