The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

I am in the market for a new pair of shoes. Have been using Spotbilt OS99 for the past few years. Looking for a pair of comfortable shoes. I do a lot of youth games on weekends and by the last game on Sundays my feet are sore. I wear orthodics and that doesn't help. I think the big problem is the unevenness of the park district surfaces. I run 2-1/2 miles every morning with a New Balance running shoe and have no problems, it is just after a bunch of youth games on the weekend. Any recommendations?

Carol Stream, Illinois
NFHS
ASA
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 5 sport ref
I am in the market for a new pair of shoes. Have been using Spotbilt OS99 for the past few years. Looking for a pair of comfortable shoes. I do a lot of youth games on weekends and by the last game on Sundays my feet are sore. I wear orthodics and that doesn't help. I think the big problem is the unevenness of the park district surfaces. I run 2-1/2 miles every morning with a New Balance running shoe and have no problems, it is just after a bunch of youth games on the weekend. Any recommendations?
I agree with you. I think the fields are part of the reason football officials experience foot problems. Although I've tried different shoes, football always gives me more problems than basketball. Consider how many times I run up and down the floor a night. Yet I have no foot pain during basketball.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up New balance works well....

I would suggest trying New Balance brand shoes... I have wide feet (its from going barefoot a lot here in Hawaii; we call them "luau feet" because our feet tend to get wide over here)... This season I'm trying their new mid-cut 250 model... Seems comfortable with lots of cushion and support... Go to http://www.honigs.com to check it out...
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

I had a pair of Converse (the new style kind) and loved them. The I broke an eyelit and their replacement pair was never as good. I used Spotbilt last year for the first time and they were extremely OK.

Why can't shoe manufacturers make an official's shoe with the same support and lightweight quality that they make their running shoes? Just take your mid-level Asics running shoe and paint it all black - what's so hard?
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: For years, I wore the trusty SpotBilt OS95. One problem I always had was their failure to provide adequate ankle support. Now they've come out with a new model -- the OS99. From the pictures, they appear to be cut a little higher than the 95, but I've not seen them "in person." Anyone have any experience with them? Recently, I got a pair of Nike Air Diamond trainers and wore them for a scrimmage. Felt pretty good. They have a sole that's good for grass, and all kinds of artificial surface including the new Field Turf.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I wore the Spotbilts and wasn't a fan... they just seemed kind of cheap, and gave me ankle blisters.

Now I'm using a pair of the Converse turf shoes, and I like them much better. Keeping up with speedy WRs is no problem.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jfurdell
Keeping up with speedy WRs is no problem.
REPLY: Keeping up with speedy WRs is still a problem for me....but it has nothing to do with the shoes!!
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

I've been wearing New Balance for the last few years. For most dry fields and turf fields the 609 provides enough traction. They are just a cross trainer but I haven't slipped yet on the wings. They've just come out with a new grass shoe #250. They are built for running and are as comfortable as anything. I was wearing them as casual shoes and decided to try them on the field. Have'nt taken them off yet, except for the worst rain days. Then I go to the cleats.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Me and Imelda Marcos...

I noticed I've become somewhat of a shoe horse....

I'm a big fan of the Spot Bilt brand... Love those cleats... I have 2 pairs of their Stud style... The old pair I use for Pop Warner and rainy days. Great traction... The newer pair is for dry field day-time games when we wear shorts. I love the traction and the grip on the field plus they are light on my feet... The only complaints I have is that my socks get dirty around the ankles... And they don't have the best ankle support...

Last year I tried the Riddell Raider... very comfortable and light, decent but not the best traction... I use them for step aerobics now, and retired them from football...Work great... the only thing I don't like is that there are only 4 eyelets on each side and they don't seem to lace up really tight and secure enough for football use but work just fine for cross-training...

So now I'm trying the New Balance 250 for varsity... I love the high cut style... I don't think I'll be getting any dirt stains on my white socks anymore... Good support and a nice wide base... They come in wide and regular widths which the Spot Bilts don't have... Good traction, appear that they can be useful on field-turf, astroturf as well as grass... Plus they are well constructed like New Balances always are... Metal eyelets and the nice high quality laces...

As for shoe care I started using the Shoe Magik brand combination kit... Comes with a shoe cleaning solution that preps the shoes, cleans and softens... Then the wax polish finishes them off... Boy these products really recondition old tired leather... And get-off all the old built-up polish... I would recommend it very much over the store bought Kiwi brand...

Plus having 3 pairs of shoes in our uniform inventory is a great way to extend the life of each pair... I don't think I'll have to buy another pair for at least 2 or 3 more seasons... Plus the New Balances can also be retired for casual and cross-training use...

Wonder if Imelda ever had a pair of New Balances in her closet?
Old Thu Jul 10, 2003, 04:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I have the spot studs strickly for football and I agree great traction, but always gets the socks dirty, poor ankle support and feet end up whipped after a full day of youth league.

I went to the riddle for baseball for my base shoes. Not bad on traction but would not use on mud. Good comfort and am considering splitting time between them and the spots on youth days and using the spots for varsity grass and the riddles for the next turf fields.

Shoes are tough for me mainly due to bone spurs in the backs of my heels where the achillies attaches. To get both great cushioning and tracks is hard to come by.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.