The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Onside Kick Caught at the R15 (https://forum.officiating.com/football/92503-onside-kick-caught-r15.html)

Adam Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:10pm

Onside Kick Caught at the R15

JV game last night. V scores with about two minutes left to get within 14 points. They go for the onside kick.

K1 kicks a low line drive that bounces off R1 and towards the advancing K line. I'm on the R line, thinking K may get this one. It was a fleeting thought.

K2, in full stride, accidentally kicks the ball 40 yards down field to an awaiting R2 who catches it at the R15 and returns it about 15 yards.

I'm on the K sideline, and the coaches are just laughing at this point.

verticalStripes Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:40pm

Sounds like a good one. Sooo, for the sake of discussion, what did you have?

BigBaldGuy Tue Sep 25, 2012 01:04pm

Never see that again.

Last night I had a defender actually catch (before it hit the punter's foot) the ball after the punter dropped it and returned it for a TD...never in 21 years.

maven Tue Sep 25, 2012 07:04pm

Adam, you realize that your thread title is misleading, right? The kick was not caught at the R15 (or indeed anywhere else). ;)

JV football, like peewees, is good training, especially for recognizing fouls and whistle discipline.

Adam Tue Sep 25, 2012 08:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by verticalStripes (Post 855993)
Sounds like a good one. Sooo, for the sake of discussion, what did you have?

Wide eyes. That's it.

Adam Tue Sep 25, 2012 08:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 856084)
Adam, you realize that your thread title is misleading, right? The kick was not caught at the R15 (or indeed anywhere else). ;)

JV football, like peewees, is good training, especially for recognizing fouls and whistle discipline.

It's my first year in football, so you're going to have to help me on this one, maven. Why not?

I'm looking at 2-24, and I'm not seeing anything.

maven Tue Sep 25, 2012 08:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 856088)
It's my first year in football, so you're going to have to help me on this one, maven. Why not?

I'm looking at 2-24, and I'm not seeing anything.

2-24: Oh, it's a kick all right.

Well, I made one small assumption, that the ball touched the ground somewhere along the line before it got to the R15. Was that wrong? Was it airborne the entire way?

Then check 2-4. ;)

Adam Tue Sep 25, 2012 09:15pm

Okay, 2-4-1, "live ball in flight"

I honestly don't recall whether it hit the ground at any point before it hit K2's foot, I think it did, but let's assume for this discussion that it did.

Now, 2-36, "Recovery." I see.

If, however, it didn't, it would have been a catch.

One more question. What significance is there for the difference on this particular play?

Welpe Tue Sep 25, 2012 09:25pm

Mr Annoying Rule 2 guy strikes again. :D

maven Tue Sep 25, 2012 09:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 856092)
One more question. What significance is there for the difference on this particular play?

There was a play?

Seriously, though, the interesting question was whether the kick was illegal.

Adam Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 856093)
Mr Annoying Rule 2 guy strikes again. :D

Hah!

Adam Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 856094)
There was a play?

Seriously, though, the interesting question was whether the kick was illegal.

1. Shut up.

2. Yes, it was. All four of us agreed it was accidental. There's no way it wasn't, as K was trying to get the ball back. Unless there's some other reason it would have been illegal.

jchamp Wed Sep 26, 2012 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 856098)
1. Shut up.

2. Yes, it was. All four of us agreed it was accidental. There's no way it wasn't, as K was trying to get the ball back. Unless there's some other reason it would have been illegal.

So wouldn't that make the accidental "kick" a muff? Which would explain why you guys just played on, instead of flagging for illegal kicking?

A kick, by definition, must be intentional. A muff is just when you touch the ball while attempting to get possession, but don't possess it.