The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

NFL - Don't Watch It

If you a truly fed up with the league trying to put an inferior (and at times unwatchable) product on the screen... stop watching it. It's our only recourse. Until ratings fall, the owners will not care - it's that simple.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Theoretically correct. But, it probably won't happen. It's too much fun watching this train wreck.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 08:40am
Archaic Power Monger

There are too many that will regardless. It's akin to shoveling sand into the tide.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 08:59am
Chain of Fools

Only thing to break this impasse is the players decline to play and we all know that isn't going to happen.

I'm torn on the whole issue. How many of us, whatever level we call games, want to be critiqued by fans, by announcers, by those not in the business?
How would we respond if someone said "you guys suck, I'm not coming out this Friday/Saturday until our conference gets better refs" ? We'd probably laugh them out of the room.

I do know this. The current officials have all called, for the most part, at a higher level than I'll ever see. I don't have much room or experience to question them.

I understand the business issues at hand. I understand the NFL officials don't want to lose at the bargaining table. It is obvious that the flow of the pro games are inhibited at this point. I don't think it is bad enough to make me want to stop watching.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
I do know this. The current officials have all called, for the most part, at a higher level than I'll ever see. I don't have much room or experience to question them.

I understand the business issues at hand. I understand the NFL officials don't want to lose at the bargaining table. It is obvious that the flow of the pro games are inhibited at this point. I don't think it is bad enough to make me want to stop watching.
Sure - they are better than almost all of us here, and they are doing their best.

Point is, though, that despite the blatantly obvious difference in quality here, the NFL and the owners insist that it's "ok". We, as fans, have made it apparent that no matter what the owners do to us, as fans, we will take it. We will pay full price for 2 pre-season games. We will pay 40 grand for the RIGHT to buy tickets from them. So they know that WE will do nothing, even though the product is severely inferior.

And yes, it seems like if just a few of us don't watch, it is a eye-dropper in the ocean... but the more that don't watch, the better the chances of others joining in and not watching.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 09:42am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I'm going to be interested to see what happens when this finally does get settled. What will the end result be to the game? What about other sports - any affect? Smiles? Laughs? Hugs all around? Thanks you's? No announcer talk? No newspaper articles? No condemnation? Treat officials better overall? etc. etc.

This book is still in an early to mid-chapter........
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I'm going to be interested to see what happens when this finally does get settled. What will the end result be to the game? What about other sports - any affect? Smiles? Laughs? Hugs all around? Thanks you's? No announcer talk? No newspaper articles? No condemnation? Treat officials better overall? etc. etc.

There's no chance of officials being treated even as well as they were let alone better. The standard of treatment, having been lowered, will not come back up.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

I do know that we got scheduled to do a game that was consistently above our abilities, the school would probably fire the association scheduling the referees and hire a different association.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 01:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
There's no chance of officials being treated even as well as they were let alone better. The standard of treatment, having been lowered, will not come back up.
I am not sure it was ever any better?

Peace
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I can tell you exactly what will happen.

By the second week, the honeymoon will be over and the coaches, players, fans and media will be pissing and moaning just like they always have. For those purposes, it makes no difference who's wearing stripes.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 05:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

First all this is fake outrage. The media is stoking the fires to sell their programing.

I just heard a commentator talk about what the SJ and the BJ should have done and their only experience was only to be an former player.

It is just sad that people even are upset over this situation honestly. And everyone is being played by the media for their stupidity.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
First all this is fake outrage. The media is stoking the fires to sell their programing.

It is just sad that people even are upset over this situation honestly. And everyone is being played by the media for their stupidity.
I came here to say ^THIS^.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 05:45pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I just heard a commentator talk about what the SJ and the BJ should have done and their only experience was only to be an former player.
Lots of stories on the National News tonight....one stated an official was from the lingerie football league - but was dismissed for incompetence. They didn't give his name........
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 05:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Lots of stories on the National News tonight....one stated an official was from the lingerie football league - but was dismissed for incompetence. They didn't give his name........
Pretty sure 95% of men would be incompetent if we tried officiating women running and jumping in lingerie.

"What? Oh, yeah, you're on the line."
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 06:06pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
"What? Oh, yeah, you're on the line."
You may have crossed it!