The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   NFL referee talks to fantasy player (https://forum.officiating.com/football/92447-nfl-referee-talks-fantasy-player.html)

JugglingReferee Tue Sep 18, 2012 04:24pm

NFL referee talks to fantasy player

So another hiccup in the effectiveness of the replacement officials.

Apparently a replacement official told a player that he was needed to do well for the referee's fantasy team.

letemplay Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:42am

Black jacket

Who is official off-field in NFL games with headset and black jacket? Is he a league regular or another fill in trying to help with communication from booth? I heard replay guys are NOT replacements, and I see these guys trying to help stripes on field get things right.

Rich Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 855215)
Who is official off-field in NFL games with headset and black jacket? Is he a league regular or another fill in trying to help with communication from booth? I heard replay guys are NOT replacements, and I see these guys trying to help stripes on field get things right.

He's the alternate.

Adam Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:11am

Nice. Isn't some of this stuff (along with the Saints fan) common sense enough that Division 3 officials would understand? I can't work football games at my daughter's middle school, yet these guys think this crap is appropriate?

I must be slow.

MD Longhorn Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 855222)
Nice. Isn't some of this stuff (along with the Saints fan) common sense enough that Division 3 officials would understand? I can't work football games at my daughter's middle school, yet these guys think this crap is appropriate?

I must be slow.

You'd think that even a D3 or HS official would understand professionalism. I'm sure this guy just thought he was trying to be funny, but what this shows me is an official who is a bit starstruck by the guys around him and unable to know how to interact with these players.

letemplay Wed Sep 19, 2012 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 855216)
He's the alternate.

How low are you on the totem pole when you are the "replacement alternate"?:D

grunewar Wed Sep 19, 2012 02:31pm

It's all relative.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 855253)
How low are you on the totem pole when you are the "replacement alternate"? :D

Still several levels above me.......

Just saying. :rolleyes:

HLin NC Wed Sep 19, 2012 02:42pm

Quote:

How low are you on the totem pole when you are the "replacement alternate"?
High enough to draw a check.

letemplay Wed Sep 19, 2012 04:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 855256)
High enough to draw a check.

Whaddya think their game fee is?

JRutledge Wed Sep 19, 2012 04:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 855232)
You'd think that even a D3 or HS official would understand professionalism. I'm sure this guy just thought he was trying to be funny, but what this shows me is an official who is a bit starstruck by the guys around him and unable to know how to interact with these players.

We must keep in mind that not everyone has the same standards to work D3 across the country and even if they do, you have guys that probably have a hard time understaning the high school game first, like in my area. I am not totally surprised by this, but just a little surprised that the guy thought that kind of comment would not get out. Anything you say to a player will get back to someone. We had a guy in our area make a racial slur to a kid and it went all over the place and even national. When you did not have to get to the place the same road that others do, this kind of things is actually to be expected. A D1 official who would likely be a rookie in the NFL would know you cannot do these kinds of things and it not hurt your situation.

Peace

Rich Wed Sep 19, 2012 04:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 855260)
Whaddya think their game fee is?

$3K. White hat gets $3500.

Adam Wed Sep 19, 2012 04:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 855261)
We must keep in mind that not everyone has the same standards to work D3 across the country and even if they do, you have guys that probably have a hard time understaning the high school game first, like in my area. I am not totally surprised by this, but just a little surprised that the guy thought that kind of comment would not get out. Anything you say to a player will get back to someone. We had a guy in our area make a racial slur to a kid and it went all over the place and even national. When you did not have to get to the place the same road that others do, this kind of things is actually to be expected. A D1 official who would likely be a rookie in the NFL would know you cannot do these kinds of things and it not hurt your situation.

Peace

I'm honestly surprised, but I probably shouldn't be. As mike said, he was probably star struck and trying to make light conversation.

Still stupid (even if it was only momentary).

JRutledge Wed Sep 19, 2012 04:49pm

You have to be careful what you say to a D1 Prospect, let alone to an NFL player. You would think that this was kind of obvious to everyone, but I guess not.

Peace

Adam Wed Sep 19, 2012 04:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 855265)
$3K. White hat gets $3500.

$3K for the alternate?

Nice.

Rich Wed Sep 19, 2012 05:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 855270)
$3K for the alternate?

Nice.

I wouldn't doubt it, although I don't have that information handy. I was under the impression that they were given a minimum package just to participate in all this.