The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
First off, an authorized conference during a timeout can't be held in that location (in front of an opponent's bench) so if you wish to find a rule, there's one. That's enforced as UNS, BTW.

Secondly, the officials have wide latitude for calling UNS in just about any situation where it's warranted. Doesn't sound like the visit was to discuss where the coaches were going for afternoon tea.

Thirdly, the swipe against baseball umpires is unnecessary. I'm a baseball umpire and a football official. My role is no different on either field.
This is correct. The rules governing this situation are in 2-6-2. This coach is allowed on the field during a timeout. We see unauthorized conferences all the time, either a sideline conference that wanders outside the numbers or a between the nine conference where more than one coach comes out. We correct these situations with a warning, and if they comply and correct the error immediately, no flag is thrown. This situation is the same. He should be warned that he may not be past the hash mark on the opponents side of the field, and if he doesn't comply, he should be flagged for USC. The fact that no one stopped or warned him makes it a stretch for me to flag him in this situation.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoaster View Post
He should be warned that he may not be past the hash mark on the opponents side of the field, and if he doesn't comply, he should be flagged for USC.
What if he goes around the field?
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
2-32-10 defines a coach to be in the category of "nonplayers".

9-8-3 states that a nonplayer shall not be outside his team box (except for three in the restricted area).

The team box does not extend "around" the field. Therefore, he has gone outside his team box. If someone isn't uncomfortable banging him for that, you've also got 9-9-5, with the "travesty of the game" clause.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp View Post

9-8-3 states that a nonplayer shall not be outside his team box (except for three in the restricted area).

The team box does not extend "around" the field. Therefore, he has gone outside his team box. If someone isn't uncomfortable banging him for that, you've also got 9-9-5, with the "travesty of the game" clause.
^What he said^
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Sometimes I can't believe what I read here. The coaches aren't allowed out of their team area. The exception to that is whn they have a timeout at which point they are allowed to address their team between the hashes. This is the exception. Since this coach is not operating within this exception, we are well within the rules to flag him.

That being said, he had to walk past 5 officials on the way to the other sideline. Although a foul certainly could be called in this scenario, the crew should try to get him back first.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp View Post

"Travesty of the game" would be an outright ridiculous call. You're taking the football game as subsuming the whole world, instead of being just one part of a person's life. Obviously nonplayers can leave their team box to use the bathroom, go talk to a friend, etc. If two coaches want to have a meeting, that's a level of conduct outside of and superseding the game, not part of the game and its administration. It does not interfere with the game, and the game should not interfere with it.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is correct. The rules governing this situation are in 2-6-2. This coach is allowed on the field during a timeout. We see unauthorized conferences all the time, either a sideline conference that wanders outside the numbers or a between the nine conference where more than one coach comes out. We correct these situations with a warning, and if they comply and correct the error immediately, no flag is thrown. This situation is the same. He should be warned that he may not be past the hash mark on the opponents side of the field, and if he doesn't comply, he should be flagged for USC. The fact that no one stopped or warned him makes it a stretch for me to flag him in this situation.
I don't think that this is the point. The rule says that the coach is allowed between the hashes to "address his team" this is an exception to the prohibition of him being on the field. If it is a TO, and he is not addressing his team, he is outside the exception.

I'm sure some of you have had the situation where the coach calls a time out (not a ref/coach conference) and makes a beeline to the referee to complain. In that circumstance I tell him he can have a conference w me or his team, not both. He usually looks at me with a bewildered look, swears under his breath and storms off.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
I don't think that this is the point. The rule says that the coach is allowed between the hashes to "address his team" this is an exception to the prohibition of him being on the field. If it is a TO, and he is not addressing his team, he is outside the exception.

I'm sure some of you have had the situation where the coach calls a time out (not a ref/coach conference) and makes a beeline to the referee to complain. In that circumstance I tell him he can have a conference w me or his team, not both. He usually looks at me with a bewildered look, swears under his breath and storms off.
I'm not sure what point you think I was trying to make, but I think we probably agree more than you would guess. I'm merely saying that during timeouts, coaches and conferences frequently go outside the exception, and we correct it without flags. In this instance, the crew could have corrected this before the coach ever got close to the other sideline. Since the coach was not stopped or warned, they missed an opportunity to correct this situation without even considering a flag. Any flag for USC after the fact is partly on the crew, IMO.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not sure what point you think I was trying to make, but I think we probably agree more than you would guess. I'm merely saying that during timeouts, coaches and conferences frequently go outside the exception, and we correct it without flags. In this instance, the crew could have corrected this before the coach ever got close to the other sideline. Since the coach was not stopped or warned, they missed an opportunity to correct this situation without even considering a flag. Any flag for USC after the fact is partly on the crew, IMO.
You are right, we are mostly in agreement. My only point of disagreement was that the coach is not addressing his team. Thus, it wouldn t matter if he was screaming at the other coach from the middle of the field. If he's not addressing his team, he has no reason to be out there.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Travesty of the game" would be an outright ridiculous call. You're taking the football game as subsuming the whole world, instead of being just one part of a person's life. Obviously nonplayers can leave their team box to use the bathroom, go talk to a friend, etc. If two coaches want to have a meeting, that's a level of conduct outside of and superseding the game, not part of the game and its administration. It does not interfere with the game, and the game should not interfere with it.
If the coaches have agreed to have a game, gotten it sanctioned by whatever authority, hired officials, invited fans (and maybe charged admission) and trained their players, then for the period of time that the game occurs, that game and its rules are their life. It is so because they have agreed to make it so.

The rules demand that unless there is a good reason for one coach to NEED to talk to another, AND the WH allows the conversation, he's not going to cross the field without penalty.

We're not gonna hold up action because two guys who should be working want to have tea and crumpets at mid-field.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2012, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
The athletic director and principal be damned I guess.
They'd have to put a stop on my check since I normally receive a check or cash before the game starts.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2012, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
You are right, we are mostly in agreement. My only point of disagreement was that the coach is not addressing his team. Thus, it wouldn t matter if he was screaming at the other coach from the middle of the field. If he's not addressing his team, he has no reason to be out there.
I agree with this as well. If he were to start yelling at the other sideline, I'd still warn him to stop or leave the field. If he didn't comply, I'd flag him.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2012, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

What if the peanut vendor is on the other side of the field, and the coach wants peanuts?
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What if the peanut vendor is on the other side of the field, and the coach wants peanuts?
He needs to send the trainer, photographer, statistician, or one of the dozen other people who want to be in the restricted zone, but can't be.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

SECTION 8 NONCONTACT UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT BY NONPLAYERS
ART. 1 . . . No coach, substitute, athletic trainer or other team attendant shall
act in an unsportsmanlike manner once the game officials assume authority for
the contest. Examples are, but not limited to: