The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Dpi?? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/92422-dpi.html)

Adam Sun Sep 16, 2012 06:33pm

Dpi??

Anyone else see the phantom DPI call at the start of the fourth quarter of the Steelers/Jets today? I've avoided any comments on the replacement officials' games, but am I missing something on that one?

BktBallRef Sun Sep 16, 2012 06:44pm

Are you talking about the PI call on the Steelers #24 Taylor against Holmes on the second play of the 4th quarter?

APG Sun Sep 16, 2012 06:50pm

No idea what the official saw there...Ike Taylor didn't even touch the receiver while the ball was in the air. In fact he barely contacted him at all during the entire play.

maven Sun Sep 16, 2012 07:09pm

Not interference at any level.

A play or two later the white hat called a snap infraction "snap encroachment." What a clown circus.

Adam Sun Sep 16, 2012 07:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 854692)
Are you talking about the PI call on the Steelers #24 Taylor against Holmes on the second play of the 4th quarter?

That's the one.

BktBallRef Sun Sep 16, 2012 08:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 854692)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 854695)
That's the one.

No, I didn't see it. :D

APG Mon Sep 17, 2012 05:55pm

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AQPjK2rkjus" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Welpe Mon Sep 17, 2012 05:57pm

Oh...my...

JRutledge Mon Sep 17, 2012 06:02pm

W...in that.....World?

Peace

Adam Mon Sep 17, 2012 06:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 854916)
Oh...my...

A completely new standard for phantom fouls.

Watching it live, I thought they were going to get him for leading with the helmet when I saw there was a flag (not that he did, but that seemed the only possibility). I thought the conference with the WH took a bit long, too.

Then the announcement was made....

tjones1 Mon Sep 17, 2012 06:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 854691)
Anyone else see the phantom DPI call at the start of the fourth quarter of the Steelers/Jets today? I've avoided any comments on the replacement officials' games, but am I missing something on that one?

Your post really confused me... please change back to your old name! :p

Forksref Mon Sep 17, 2012 08:56pm

These games with these officials are painful to watch. Too much on which to elaborate just....ouch!

Adam Mon Sep 17, 2012 09:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 854924)
Your post really confused me... please change back to your old name! :p

:D Sorry.

CT1 Tue Sep 18, 2012 05:56am

Wow.

The only possible foul #24 could have commited would be a hold during the route after the ball was in the air, but there's no evidence of that in the clip. And even if that were true, it didn't alter the receiver's route or keep him from getting to the ball.

Double wow.

waltjp Tue Sep 18, 2012 06:37am

There was a DPI call in Monday night's game that was just as bad. Hard to know what these guys think they're seeing.

maven Tue Sep 18, 2012 08:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp (Post 854961)
There was a DPI call in Monday night's game that was just as bad. Hard to know what these guys think they're seeing.

Agree. I suspect that they're not adjusted to the speed of the game and resort to guessing when a pass is incomplete.

Rich Tue Sep 18, 2012 09:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 854970)
Agree. I suspect that they're not adjusted to the speed of the game and resort to guessing when a pass is incomplete.

I think it has more to do with not properly watching their keys or holding them long enough.

MD Longhorn Tue Sep 18, 2012 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 854979)
I think it has more to do with not properly watching their keys or holding them long enough.

I think you're both right. I've seen blatant examples of both. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a play end, and then look for the official, and waiting 3-5 seconds before he even gets into camera view, much less marks his spot.

Last night was a mess. Flabbergasted that the NFL continues this way.

jchamp Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 854982)
Last night was a mess. Flabbergasted that the NFL continues this way.

The NFL will continue until enough of the stakeholders flinch.
As best as the general public is aware, the stakeholders are:

1) Officials -- getting paid to perform a service.
2) Team Owners -- paying officials out of their earnings in return for the service.
3) Players -- stats and other performance metrics potentially harmed by quality of officials' work.
4) League Administrators -- Quality of their product (and hence, earnings) directly impacted by quality of official's work.
5) TV contractors -- Product quality (and therefore, potential revenue) based on willingness of fans to see a poorer product of the NFL.
6) Fans -- consumers of the ultimate product, and providers of the revenue.
7) "Vegas" -- Revenue generated from willingness of fans to bet on games, but can only apply indirect pressure to the wound.

You could probably consider merchandisers a stakeholder as well, but I consider them lumped with the teams or the league.

Each of these has their own way of demonstrating that they are tired of it, but every one of them ultimately comes down to how much money they provide.

Fans are still attending games, Vegas is still getting bets, and TV advertisers are still buying commercials. Unless one of these sources of revenue declines enough to hurt, AND it can be attributed to quality of the replacement officials, there will be no change.

At the moment, people are content to whine and complain about the quality of officials. I wouldn't bet on a serious psychological change before Thanksgiving... maybe not until playoffs.

Rich Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:22am

Steve Young got it right last night:

Steve Young On The NFL And Replacement Refs: 'The Bottom Line Is They Don't Care' - From Our Editors - SBNation.com

MD Longhorn Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:42am

Our only option is to stop watching... how many people can you get to not watch?

PSU213 Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:59am

As for the players' stake in this...it's not only about performance metrics, it's about safety. For example, not tossing a player who threw a punch in the 1st quarter scuffle in the MNF game. There was also a similar incident in the Philadelphia/Baltimore game Sunday (i.e. potential punches thrown, no player ejected, later scuffles).

maven Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 854991)

I can't believe he used 'inelastic desire' on national TV. Who the hell does he think he is, Ben Bernanke? ;)

But yeah, the substance of his remarks (and his usage of 'inelastic desire') were on the money, so to speak.

Rich Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 855014)
I can't believe he used 'inelastic desire' on national TV. Who the hell does he think he is, Ben Bernanke? ;)

But yeah, the substance of his remarks (and his usage of 'inelastic desire') were on the money, so to speak.

Inelastic demand. And he did use it correctly. Young is an attorney, BTW. He went to law school during the winter semesters between football seasons while he was backing up Joe Montana.

maven Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 855020)
Inelastic demand. And he did use it correctly. Young is an attorney, BTW. He went to law school during the winter semesters between football seasons while he was backing up Joe Montana.

First, I said he was "on the money," which means he used it correctly. I can't quite tell from your post whether you intended to correct me.

Second, Young's business finance undergraduate major is more likely than his law degree to be the source of his understanding of inelasticity.

And third, we're both wrong: properly used, 'inelastic demand' refers to stable demand in the face of price changes, not product quality changes.

Perhaps he's invented a new kind of inelasticity. :)

MD Longhorn Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 855026)
And third, we're both wrong: properly used, 'inelastic demand' refers to stable demand in the face of price changes, not product quality changes.

Correct ... but what about inelastic desire? :)

CT1 Tue Sep 18, 2012 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 855032)
Correct ... but what about inelastic desire? :)

Aren't you supposed to call your physician after four hours?

APG Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp (Post 854961)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VvEModFkTZI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

maven Wed Sep 19, 2012 06:24am

You can see from B32's reaction that he was genuinely surprised by the flag — compared to the "shocked! shocked!" reaction that guilty parties often display.

Adam Wed Sep 19, 2012 07:31am

IMO, the announcers are quite generous here.

maven Wed Sep 19, 2012 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 855189)
IMO, the announcers are quite generous here.

For me, this is the worst part of having replacement officials. The safety angle is not the greatest risk, and game management, while a nuisance, is mere delay.

Players want to adjust to how the game is going to be called: linemen adjust to how you're calling holding, DB's to how you're calling DPI, etc.

But there's no adjusting to bad calls.