The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Fair Catch Question (https://forum.officiating.com/football/92414-fair-catch-question.html)

Spence Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:54pm

Fair Catch Question

A1 and A2 are back to receive a punt. A1 signals a fair catch but the ball bounces over his head where A2 picks it up and advances the ball.

Penalty? Legal?

JRutledge Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:03am

Well the play is dead when A gets possession of the ball. Now it is only a penalty if the advancing you suggest means the player just takes off running far away from the possession. That is a delay of game penalty, but I think should only be called if it is really bad. If he just simply takes a couple of steps and stops once he realizes the play is dead, then I will do whatever I can to not be so technical. A2 might not realize that his teammate gave a FC signal. I equate this to not handing the ball to the official after the play is over or not setting the ball down in the spot you were tackled or the ball was dead. It has to be really bad IMO.

Peace

WestCoaster Mon Sep 17, 2012 01:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 854640)
Well the play is dead when A gets possession of the ball. Now it is only a penalty if the advancing you suggest means the player just takes off running far away from the possession. That is a delay of game penalty, but I think should only be called if it is really bad. If he just simply takes a couple of steps and stops once he realizes the play is dead, then I will do whatever I can to not be so technical. A2 might not realize that his teammate gave a FC signal. I equate this to not handing the ball to the official after the play is over or not setting the ball down in the spot you were tackled or the ball was dead. It has to be really bad IMO.

Peace

^Agree^

Forksref Mon Sep 17, 2012 07:09am

I always tell our guys as part of our pre-game that once a fair catch signal is given, either valid or invalid, there will be NO return of any kind, either by R or K should there be a muff.

bkdow Tue Sep 18, 2012 09:43pm

Was it muffed or did it just hit the ground? If it hit the ground, can the R player advance?

Rich Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkdow (Post 855160)
Was it muffed or did it just hit the ground? If it hit the ground, can the R player advance?

Neither.

bkdow Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:23pm

How can it be neither. Did the ball end up on the ground?

Rich Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkdow (Post 855171)
How can it be neither. Did the ball end up on the ground?

Doesn't matter. It can't be advanced in either situation.

Once R signals for a fair catch at any time during the down, neither team will ever be able to advance the kick, regardless of whether it hit the ground before or after the signal.

maven Wed Sep 19, 2012 06:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 855172)
Once R signals for a fair catch at any time during the down, neither team will ever be able to advance the kick, regardless of whether it hit the ground before or after the signal.

Exactly, and the word that many novice officials miss is "the kick." Until it's possessed, it's a kick, and neither team may advance it. Once possessed by either team, it's dead by rule, so still no advance possible.

ChickenOfNC Wed Sep 19, 2012 07:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 855172)
Doesn't matter. It can't be advanced in either situation.

Kick bounds behind the NZ where a K player picks up and advances.

Rich Wed Sep 19, 2012 07:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenOfNC (Post 855191)
Kick bounds behind the NZ where a K player picks up and advances.

The exception that proves the rule.

Welpe Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 855194)
The exception that proves the rule.

You are absolutely correct in NCAA. :D