The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   NFL's First Female Official - Chargers vs Pack, 9 Aug (https://forum.officiating.com/football/92194-nfls-first-female-official-chargers-vs-pack-9-aug.html)

APG Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:40pm

NFL referees lockout: Roger Goodell not backing down - latimes.com

Quote:

That said, there could be a lot more mistakes as the speed on the field increases and the pressure mounts. The NFL is asking that the replacement officials show up to game sites 3 1/2 hours before kickoff -- an hour earlier than officials typically arrive -- so they can receive extra training from supervisors on such rudimentary aspects such as where to stand and how to conduct the coin toss. Some officials are wearing ear pieces that connect them to an eye in the sky -- another official watching from the press box -- to assist them in making calls.

grunewar Fri Aug 24, 2012 05:15pm

Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk......

Titans defensive coordinator calls refs 'Three Stooges'

grunewar Wed Aug 29, 2012 02:17pm

Nuf Sed

NFL to use replacement officials for Week 1 ? USATODAY.com

tmagan Wed Aug 29, 2012 07:04pm

Ray Anderson said the following: 'We believe that officials should be evaluated and performance issues addressed in the same way as players, coaches, club management and league staff.'

Funny, because how come I do not hear Commissioner Goodell evaluating owners like, say, Mike Brown, who is 91 games under .500 as an owner. I am sure, now that Goodell has this evaluation 'kick', he will now hold owners responsible for their teams losing ways. Yeah, fat chance.

And Commissioner Goodell then wonders why everyone thinks his credibility is as low as David Stern's.

JRutledge Wed Sep 05, 2012 05:14pm

I am not a big fan of this situation or the fact that officials are crossing some kind of line, but the media has to do a better job talking about this situation. It is clear they cannot do a little more research to verify some of what they are talking about. They act like a guy that once did HS does not do any other level of football. Granted it is not the NFL level and that will be a problem, but do not totally undervalue the experience of those working these games. This is why the media just annoys me.

Peace

Multiple Sports Wed Sep 05, 2012 06:23pm

Big East and anyone else ?????

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forksref (Post 852277)
The real blacklisting is coming from the D-1 conferences. They have said that any of their officials who go to the NFL now are fired from their conference. I wholeheartedly agree with this. The conferences don't need to be trying to replace officials at this stage of the season. Any official who goes to the NFL now should know that they didn't earn their spot there and that they will never get back there once this is over. And watching them, I can see they are way over their head.

Couldn't agree more with your quote...........

I know that Terry McCaulay assigns the BE, but I am not up to date on other DI assigners. Are there any other active NFL officals who are currently D! supervisors ?????

JRutledge Wed Sep 05, 2012 07:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 853305)
Couldn't agree more with your quote...........

I know that Terry McCaulay assigns the BE, but I am not up to date on other DI assigners. Are there any other active NFL officals who are currently D! supervisors ?????

It is not the active ones they have to worry about alone. Many supervisors have kids working in the NFL or were former NFL officials themselves.

All I was said is it was made clear that those working for those guys might not have a place to come back to. After all, they are giving up their spot and just like anything else, no one is required to bring you back if this gets settled.

Peace

Texas Aggie Wed Sep 05, 2012 08:10pm

The speed of the game issues are overstated. The media hears that, thinks, "yeah, the NFL is faster than college and HS" and automatically believe the officials with only college experience can not adjust. Where do they think first year officials in the NFL come from?

The problem, as I've said before, is you have 7 rookies out there rather than 1 or none, as it usually is.

JRutledge Wed Sep 05, 2012 08:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 853310)
The speed of the game issues are overstated. The media hears that, thinks, "yeah, the NFL is faster than college and HS" and automatically believe the officials with only college experience can not adjust. Where do they think first year officials in the NFL come from?

The problem, as I've said before, is you have 7 rookies out there rather than 1 or none, as it usually is.

Totally agree, especially with the last part.

Peace

grunewar Wed Sep 05, 2012 09:06pm

Referee in NFL opener is on leave from middle school job

Forksref Thu Sep 06, 2012 06:27am

Trust me, NFL officials arrive more than 2 1/2 hrs before the game.

And trust me, you will see better officiating on Saturdays than Sundays until this debacle is over.

Multiple Sports Thu Sep 06, 2012 03:00pm

+1

APG Sun Sep 09, 2012 07:04pm

End of Seattle vs. Arizona game is the exact type of situation the NFL officials are hoping will happen more often.

mperlst216 Sun Sep 09, 2012 09:45pm

There will be quite a blooper reel from today's games.

Welpe Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 853855)
End of Seattle vs. Arizona game is the exact type of situation the NFL officials are hoping will happen more often.

The timeout debacle? That was ugly.

I watched the 49er / Packer game and the officials were rough but not terrible. They did miss a crucial block in the back during a Packer's TD and there were a lot of flags but most seemed legit.

The reviews after scoring plays are a little ridiculous.