The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

These referees will show us A) DIII officials are not ready for prime-time; and B) NFL referees are better than the general public thinks.

I just hope that the debacle that will unfold tomorrow and over the next few weeks will not be laid at the feet of the female official alone. She's going to blow one - but so will everyone else being moved up WAY above their current talent level, and likely multiple times.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 08:34am
Chain of Fools

But you are not taking "their job". They are locked out. Management can replace them and have opted to do so. The bargaining process willm be used insure they return to "their job".

The replacement official loses "their job" when it is over. Whether they are hired back in the future or are dumped back in to the job market is not under their control or the unions.

It is easy to say "I'll never do that" until actually faced with the decision. Be it based on low ethics or high desire to achieve, each individual makes their own choice at the crucial time
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 09:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
But you are not taking "their job". They are locked out. Management can replace them and have opted to do so. The bargaining process willm be used insure they return to "their job".

The replacement official loses "their job" when it is over. Whether they are hired back in the future or are dumped back in to the job market is not under their control or the unions.

It is easy to say "I'll never do that" until actually faced with the decision. Be it based on low ethics or high desire to achieve, each individual makes their own choice at the crucial time
You can say it anyway you want, but it is their job you are taking. If it was not their job then the NFL would have fired all the guys they locked out. They have not done that and when this situation is resolved most of those will be back. I know if I was asked to be a replacement I would not do this at all. I have goals to work college and even higher if that ever would be an opportunity and that would be completely dashed if I made this decision. It is one thing to work in the NFL, but I would rather get there the best way everyone else could. I know the Referee personally that was being talked about in an article and I would not trade places with him at all. Even things he has accomplished he is being used to prove a point and what did he really get out of this experience? It is one thing to work a game, it is another when the national media is saying you do not know what you are doing and saying your background is not accurate. I could have seen that coming on some level. Sorry, I would not have wanted to be apart of that if I had the opportunity.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 09:33am
Chain of Fools

Does a substitute teacher take the job of a teacher out sick, in a conference, on strike? Of course not. The replacement refs are no more taking the regular officials job than that. When the bargaining process is completed, all will return to normal.

Unless of course the NFL says "to hell with it" and dumps them all and starts over. Possible, but hard to believe. Welcome to unionization vs. the free market.

The NFLRA should not over believe their inability to be replaced. They're good, great even, but they are also expendable just like the players that get cut.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does a substitute teacher take the job of a teacher out sick, in a conference, on strike? Of course not. The replacement refs are no more taking the regular officials job than that.
they may not be "taking their jobs" but by taking these games it potentially weakens the bargaing power of the nflra....if no one had taken these jobs then it probably would have been settled by now...if were settled by now the regular guys would be working...so yes they DID take their jobs...
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

While there is a small difference between a strike and a lockout here, the idea that you're not taking "their job" is false. By working for someone who is locking out people that you supposedly align with and aspire to be, you facilitate that company being able to continue operations while they prevent your ally from working. If NO ONE would work, the company could not continue to make money while preventing the locked out individuals from working.

I think it says volumes regarding the solidarity of GOOD officials that the NFL was unable to persuade ANY D1 officials to work during this lockout. The fact that they had to go all the way to D3 / High School officials means MOST profession-respecting officials are not scabbing.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does a substitute teacher take the job of a teacher out sick, in a conference
Of course not - teachers are allowed time off for sick, conference, whatever, and that's what substitutes are in existence for in the first place...
Quote:
on strike?
COMPLETELY different, see my other post.
Quote:
When the bargaining process is completed, all will return to normal.
Here is exactly what you're missing... the fact that some will "substitute" weakens the bargaining position of the locked out individuals.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 11:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Does a substitute teacher take the job of a teacher out sick, in a conference, on strike? Of course not. The replacement refs are no more taking the regular officials job than that. When the bargaining process is completed, all will return to normal.

Unless of course the NFL says "to hell with it" and dumps them all and starts over. Possible, but hard to believe. Welcome to unionization vs. the free market.

The NFLRA should not over believe their inability to be replaced. They're good, great even, but they are also expendable just like the players that get cut.
They are expendable to a certain extent. Most rookie official are going to work with guys that are also rookies. Most NFL rookie officials are going to be on crews with several multiple year officials with 10 or more years of NFL experience. The NFL official I know said he when he came in the league everyone had 10 or 15 years on the crew they put him on and he was the only rookie. Well we have referees that have never done that position. Not that the referee is the only one that should know the rules, but there was a 7 minute discussion about a penalty enforcement which was basic if you know NFL rules in the game on Sunday and that would not have likely happen with an experienced crew. So the NFL is going to take a PR hit if these kinds of basic things happen.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
While there is a small difference between a strike and a lockout here, the idea that you're not taking "their job" is false. By working for someone who is locking out people that you supposedly align with and aspire to be, you facilitate that company being able to continue operations while they prevent your ally from working. If NO ONE would work, the company could not continue to make money while preventing the locked out individuals from working.

I think it says volumes regarding the solidarity of GOOD officials that the NFL was unable to persuade ANY D1 officials to work during this lockout. The fact that they had to go all the way to D3 / High School officials means MOST profession-respecting officials are not scabbing.
The jobs don't belong to the referees. They belong to the NFL. The referee's own their labor. What we have is a disagreement over the value of that labor.

The NFLRA think their labor is significantly better than the alternative and so they've set a high price. The NFL doesn't agree and is willing to try the alternative. The new referees will turn out to be better, as good, or worse than the old referees. (I think we'll all agree on worse.) When that happens, the NFL will decide if they can live with the new referees' performance (The fans won't let them.)

Ultimately, the new referees are doing the old referees a favor as the NFLRA is going to be in the position of power when it becomes clear just how much better they are the the new guys.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 12:57pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
solidarity of GOOD officials that the NFL was unable to persuade ANY D1 officials
Solidarity or arm-twisting?
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews View Post
they may not be "taking their jobs" but by taking these games it potentially weakens the bargaing power of the nflra....if no one had taken these jobs then it probably would have been settled by now...if were settled by now the regular guys would be working...so yes they DID take their jobs...
Ah, but perhaps the replacements are in cahoots with the NFLRA! Perhaps they're being paid to do a crappy job in order to STRENGTHEN the position of the NFLRA! HA HA!
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Solidarity or arm-twisting?
I think it's called extortion.

"Nice career you have here. It would be a shame if something were to happen to it."
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 01:48pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post

I think it says volumes regarding the solidarity of GOOD officials that the NFL was unable to persuade ANY D1 officials to work during this lockout
This is probably true, but the NFL was not accepting applicants from major DI conferences either.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 02:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I think it's called extortion.

"Nice career you have here. It would be a shame if something were to happen to it."
It is not even close to extortion. We all have choices and if you make the wrong one it could affect your career.

Just like I am seeing a story about a former Miami (that "U") player that was dismissed from the team and is filing an injunction to get back onto the team this season. That could affect his career too. It is not extortion to tell him this and that maybe a lawsuit is not in his best interest if he wants to get drafted or drafted high in the NFL.

Well if you want to work at the NFL level you have to leave something behind to make that move. No one is obligated to give you a job you resign from during or before the season.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Extortion is exactly what it is.

Everyone here knows that the NFLRA will make sure that no one who works the NFL in their place will ever work it again. That threat/reality is extorting referees from taking the job.

I agree that getting dropped by the conference you leave isn't extortion, but a consequence of your choice.