The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Came across this question on another forum. Please offer some replies so that I may forward them to the poster.

"Is it legal for a defender or defenders to prevent the realese of the TE by double teaming him?

Could someone give me the correct rule as it applies to bump and run coverage? I was under the impression that you can't keep hitting a reciever on the LOS unless he is blocking the defender. I believe the rule makes it clear that if the reciever tries to release out on pass and is clearly not blocking or attempting to block a defender any contact would be considered pass interference."

I've replied but I need some reinforcements.
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Blocking is not the sole province of the offense...

Blocking, as defined in both Federation and NCAA rules apply to players of both the offense and defense. As long as the defender(s) uses a legal blocking technique (NF 2-3, NCAA 9-3), such a block is legal provided it's not pass interference or a personal foul. There is no requirement that the offense must initiate a block. The defense may initiate a block if he desires. The restriction about the receiver no longer being in a position to block the defender applies to a situation where the defender uses his hands in a manner not consistent with the requirements of NF 2-3. For example, he can't push the receiver in the back, nor can he pull him out of the way unless he's attempting to ward off the receiver's block or get to a loose ball. Once the receiver is even with the defender or past him and is no longer in a position to block the defender, this type of contact would constitute illegal use of the hands, or an illegal block in the back. But as long as the defender can use a legal blocking technique (inside the frame of the body from the front below the shoulders), that contact is legal whether initiated by the the receiver or the defender. And a double team block by the defense is perfectly legal. If not, you wouldn't see the defense double teaming wide receivers on punt plays to keep them from effectively covering the kick.
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

...if the reciever tries to release out on pass and is clearly not blocking or attempting to block a defender any contact would be considered pass interference."

To expand on Bob M.'s point, you can't have defensive pass interference until the ball is in the air. If they are chucking the end while the ball is in the air, then we have PI. But if he's just getting held up legally at the line (not being held), nice job by the defense.