The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That seems like a lot for 5 man mechanics and for a level where most kicks do not even get close to the goal line.

Peace
Most kicks may not get close to the goal line in your area but they certainly do in mine. 57% of all the kickoffs in my games this past year in Jacksonvile, Fl resulted in touchbacks. With the increasing leg strength of the HS kickers, I wouild like to see the touchback rule changed to be the same as the NCAA. With so many kicks going into the end zone, think R should have the ability to return the kick out of the end zone if he chooses.

Know this will never happen though with all of the recent discussion regarding elevated injury risk associated with KO returns.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 08:01pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
57% of all the kickoffs in my games
Who charts this stuff? Who really cares enough to check it?

In hotbeds of HS football and/or soccer, there might be the odd kicker that can boot it into the end zone but in most locales, the odds would be no where close to 60%.

The passing game has increased signicantly but NC isn't close to adding 6 or 7 man crews to officiate it.

Conjecture is fun to a point but I think I'll just wait to see the new mechanics manual and how my state/area responds.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 10:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRef13672 View Post
Most kicks may not get close to the goal line in your area but they certainly do in mine. 57% of all the kickoffs in my games this past year in Jacksonvile, Fl resulted in touchbacks. With the increasing leg strength of the HS kickers, I wouild like to see the touchback rule changed to be the same as the NCAA. With so many kicks going into the end zone, think R should have the ability to return the kick out of the end zone if he chooses.

Know this will never happen though with all of the recent discussion regarding elevated injury risk associated with KO returns.
That seems really high and like asked by someone else, who the heck charts that stuff? I live in an area where soccer players sometimes go to football and that would not even be close to the percentage.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That seems really high and like asked by someone else, who the heck charts that stuff? I live in an area where soccer players sometimes go to football and that would not even be close to the percentage.

Peace
Agreed I think we had 2 games last year in Chicagoland where we had a kicker who could reach the endzone, and then even in those games his % was less that 60%! Not something that is very common at all here.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That seems like a lot for 5 man mechanics and for a level where most kicks do not even get close to the goal line.

Peace
My high school's freshman kickers can often clear the end zone on kickoffs...Ironically, our varsity kicker one season could barely manage 40 yards...but we had a rule disallowing freshman playing varsity football.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2012, 12:06pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
My high school's freshman kickers can often clear the end zone

And I once caught a fish THHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSS big