The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   NFHS - Pass interference (https://forum.officiating.com/football/857-nfhs-pass-interference.html)

mikesears Fri Sep 15, 2000 07:45am

To all of you veteren referees.

Tonight, I am doing my first Varsity Football Game and will be working Back Judge. I need some advice on things to watch for regarding pass interference. I know the rulebook about PI but want to ask a couple of questions and seek additional advice.

Question 1: Is there any provision to not call PI when both D and O players have equal opportunity to get to the ball and they bump in an attempt to get the ball?

Question 2: Chucking a receiver at the line is illegal, correct? (They only allow that in Pro ball?)

Please provide any additional advice that you may have for a new Back Judge.

Thanks!

Schmidt MJ Sat Sep 16, 2000 05:07pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikesears:
[B]To all of you veteren referees.

Tonight, I am doing my first Varsity Football Game and will be working Back Judge. I need some advice on things to watch for regarding pass interference. I know the rulebook about PI but want to ask a couple of questions and seek additional advice.

Mike,

Question #1:
Incidental contact that occurs while both players are making a simultaneous bonafide attempt to get to the ball is ignored. Now, where do you draw the line between what is to much incidental contact. Keep in mind that no player may go thru an opponent to get to the ball. That means that if one player is in better position to get to the ball, an opponent may not "bump" him out of the way even if that opponent is making a bonafide attempt to get to the ball. You might also ask yourself if both players were going for the ball or was one player going for the tackle. This is one situation where there is no substitute for experience. The more games you work, the more you'll see and learn.
As for question #2, you are correct.

BktBallRef Sat Sep 16, 2000 08:11pm

Originally posted by mikesears:

Question 2: Chucking a receiver at the line is illegal, correct? (They only allow that in Pro ball?)

Originally posted by Schmidt MJ:

As for question #2, you are correct.

What is the penalty for chucking a receiver at the line?

mikesears Mon Sep 18, 2000 12:13am

I don't know if "missed" is a good choice of words.

The headlinesmen and I were out for practically every pass and neither he nor I called anything we saw PI. However, when I start playing things over again in my mind, I wonder if I wasn't being strict enough in my interpretation of the rules. Some self-doubt is beginning to creap in. I will probably get a copy of the game film and watch.

mikesears Mon Sep 18, 2000 10:24am

I would call that "Defensive Holding". In the NFL, this is a 5 yard penalty and automatic first down.

However, we are talking High School and I don't have my rulebook so I am guessing that it is 10 yard penalty for holding. Is this an automatic first down?

**Watching NFL football really hurts me when I officiate HS football and I may give it up**

mikesears Mon Sep 18, 2000 10:36am

Also thought I would post a follow-up to my game.

The visiting team threw AT LEAST 50 passes during the game (and lost). I think they ran the ball 5 times. Unless you want to count the 14 some sacks.

Every other pass play, the losing team's entire side was screaming for PI! I honestly think I only missed three PI calls (two Defensive and one Offensive)

The linesman and I agreed on every call during the game but, as Back Judge, I took so much heat that you could stick a fork in me because I was well-done!

The only redeeming thing that happened during the game was that the AD for losing team finally told the fans and the coaches to shut their mouths. "We are not a school that does this!" is a nearly direct quote!

Anyway, my first Varsity game, Back Judge, and a team that throws on every down really was an interesting combination!

BktBallRef Mon Sep 18, 2000 11:11am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Geneva">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikesears:
I would call that "Defensive Holding". In the NFL, this is a 5 yard penalty and automatic first down.

However, we are talking High School and I don't have my rulebook so I am guessing that it is 10 yard penalty for holding. Is this an automatic first down?

**Watching NFL football really hurts me when I officiate HS football and I may give it up**

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,
It's not a foul. There is not a chucking rule in the NF. There is not a rule that forbids the defense from hitting or blocking a receiver at the line. But once it is clear that the receiver is not blocking, the defender must stop blocking him. I don't have my rule book so I can't quote the rule, but that is the spirit of it.

Only missed three PIs? Oooooh! Better get with an experienced BJ and have some discussion. And stop watching the NFL if it's confusing your game. The rules are entirely different when it comes to fouls and penalties.

Good luck!

Tony

Larry Gonski Fri Sep 22, 2000 12:26am

You guys are correct on chucking. Once a receiver is not blocking, the defender must let him go. (Only 10 yd. hold pen. at the spot).