Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
Oh, it happened!
Hmmm... 25 yards out of bounds, plus 25 more between the middle of the field and the sideline... plus some sort of angle to make this a forward pass... let's give the benefit of the doubt and say he's moved halfway to the sideline, and the pass is at a 45 degree angle. That's 53+ yards in the air. This kid throw that far?

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Maty Mauk can throw the ball 70yards on a rope. He has signed with Missouri and has thrown a ton of big plays!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVke--5_YUw

Maty Mauk - Kenton - Stats and Info
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 08:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

OK, did this kid throw all the passes in question?

Peace
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

No.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 12:06am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
No.
Then why did you post this kid? Most kids at HS do not have that kind of arm, even the ones that get to the State Finals.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

He was one of them and there were others that threw the ball away more than once, WAY over someones head OOB and no call. They (The Rs in All games that it happened in) would just look at and point at the "intended" receiver like that is the only criteria.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He was one of them and there were others that threw the ball away more than once, WAY over someones head OOB and no call. They (The Rs in All games that it happened in) would just look at and point at the "intended" receiver like that is the only criteria.
We have gone from 25 yards OOB to "way over someone's head OOB".

Who decides if "way OOB" is illegal?

Never has been you, never will be you. Deal with it.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 08:36am
Official & ***** Member

BigJohn:

When considering IG, we often give any benefit of doubt to the QB. Often I can look at a QB's face & tell whether he meant to ground or not. That's something you can't tell from the sideline or the stands -- you just have to be there.

Consider a play with a single receiver on the sideline, and little or no pressure on the QB. If he's covered, the QB may intentionally overthrow him to avoid a possible INT. Did he mean to do it -- quite likely. Does it rise to the level of a foul? -- no.

That's why the rulesmakers put the "referee's judgment" clause into the Case Book.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Then why did you post this kid? Most kids at HS do not have that kind of arm, even the ones that get to the State Finals.

Peace
The QB's today are better than ever. I find it rare that one cannot throw beyond the players on the sideline.
I started working 4-man crews for varsity then all went to 5-man here because of the expanded passing game. It was not the short passes that casue this change.
A good R should be able to tell by a QB's performance and poise the intent. A ball that hits the track beyond the bench area by a QB that fires strikes most of the time would be to me a pretty good indication of grounding if the QB is pressured into throwing to avoid an imminent loss.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

I am pretty sure that is why the R always makes such a big deal about pointing out the "intended receiver." Like, "I saw him try to throw the ball to that kid, he just couldn't."

I saw more than one time whn a QB zinged a ball at a receivers feet so he wouldn't take a sack or get picked and many times when the ball was PURPOSELY thrown over the head and OOB, but if I say 25 yards that makes me a liar and out of my head overreactor. BS! It is not called as the rule and the case book play states and we all know it!

Maybe if we had a tackle box, it would get called more when the QB stands in the pocket and does it!
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 10:21am
TODO: creative title here

So... why haven't you posted any video of these so-called "intentional grounding" plays? I suspect that it's because you KNOW that they're not actually IG according to the spirit and intent of the rules, which means that you're just trolling.

Feel free to prove me wrong by posting some video clips, otherwise GTFO.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

The videos are not out there to be posted but are for sale by the OHSAA for $30 per game. They are on STO and I have them DVRd. I am sure video proof would not do much good as it never does on these forums.

e. A pass intentionally thrown incomplete to save loss of yardage or to conserve
time.
EXCEPTION: It is legal to conserve time by intentionally throwing the ball forward to
the ground immediately after receiving a direct hand-to-hand snap.

d. A pass intentionally thrown into an area not occupied by an eligible offensive
receiver.

Two different things altogether!

Last edited by bigjohn; Fri Dec 09, 2011 at 10:43am.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

QB rolls out to his own bench, gets out of the mythical tackle box, just before he is sacked he throws a pass 10 yeards over the head of (or directly at the ground in front of) A88 who is covered. The OC yells out "good job #14, that is how you avoid a sack!"

LJ hears all of this and see it as well, should he throw a flag?
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

bigjohn, I would suggest the real problem here is that you are speaking to an audience that is absolutely, and correctly, convinced you simply have no idea of what you are complaining about.

Your overtly myopic view of matters is a classic example of why countless decisions have been made to deliberately EXCLUDE coaches input from the decision making process related to judgment calls.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 11:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ia-Ref View Post
The QB's today are better than ever. I find it rare that one cannot throw beyond the players on the sideline.
I started working 4-man crews for varsity then all went to 5-man here because of the expanded passing game. It was not the short passes that casue this change.
A good R should be able to tell by a QB's performance and poise the intent. A ball that hits the track beyond the bench area by a QB that fires strikes most of the time would be to me a pretty good indication of grounding if the QB is pressured into throwing to avoid an imminent loss.
There are QBs that throw more, but I would not say that all are much better. There are a lot of teams running the spread for example and do not have a QB that can throw the ball that well. And HS QBs still have a very basic and generic passing attack to deal with. Most are not throwing 20 and 30 yard passes. Most HS passing attacks are under 10 yards. Actually most teams that run the spread I see are more about running the football. Also in our crew mechanic the R does not make this call on their own. They get help from other officials as to who was in position and then the R has the final say. The R can tell if they were being hit or just dumping the ball, but does not follow the ball. Heck you can be called for IG even if you throw it at someone under the right circumstances.

Peace