The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 06, 2000, 05:16pm
tpaul

I was wondering as an official, what is the most important points to Rate/Judge an official on?
Old Fri Jul 07, 2000, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigBillBagley
quote:
Originally posted by tpaul:
I was wondering as an official, what is the most important points to Rate/Judge an official on?

Teamwork! Rules knowledge, mechanics, sound judgement are essential, but the individual's ability to work as a crew member in all facets of the game is paramount. Working together is the key, because the crew is going to sink or swim on the give and take of each member. Help out when needed and "Get the call right!" It's not who's right, but what's right.
Old Sat Jul 08, 2000, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Remember to hustle and be in position to sell your call. Does anyone have an association out there that uses retired officials to evaluate officials? We do and it seems to do well.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2000, 05:57pm
tpaul

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Gonski:
Remember to hustle and be in position to sell your call. Does anyone have an association out there that uses retired officials to evaluate officials? We do and it seems to do well.

Thanks guys for your replies...
We do. the more experienced officials evaluate other crews. But it's only about two years old...
Still needs improvements...
I'm looking to make a check list, so I can make a form to be filled out to make it alittle easier...What do you think?

Old Thu Jul 13, 2000, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

quote:
tpaul....As soon I find mine, I will pass it on. It consists of ratings from pre-game to mechanics.

Larry,
I would also be interested in obtaining a copy of your checklist for evaluating or rating officials. We don't have a formal rating system around here right now, just coaches and league commissioners who have their own points of view. But I would still be interested in something like this for a self-improvement tool and to help with training new officials. If you could e-mail it to me that would be great. If not, just post it on this board. Thanks!

Martin

Old Thu Jul 13, 2000, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

tpaul....As soon I find mine, I will pass it on. It consists of ratings from pre-game to mechanics.
Old Mon Jul 17, 2000, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Testing

------------------

Old Mon Jul 17, 2000, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

testing
Old Tue Jul 18, 2000, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Our observers consists of three retired refs that get a half game fee and looks at an official three times a season. The items includes a pregame meeting one hour before kick-off, uniform, physical condition of the official, knowledge of the rules, mechanics, signals, positioning, conduct with other officials, conduct with coaches, conduct with observer, field control, and hustle. The point system is from 0-5. No gets a 0 or a 5. The observer meets at half time and after the game with the crew and they go over several plays with each official. The final write-ups are mailed. This creates a pool for play-offs and all-star games like Cal\Texas and Cal\Florida.
Old Mon Jul 24, 2000, 04:11pm
tpaul

Thumbs up

quote:

Larry that's what I was looking for!!! Thanks
Old Mon Aug 14, 2000, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

You asked what is the most important thing to evaluate so I will say this. It is following
the mechanics manual. So many officials make changes to suit themselves. It is hard to
work as a team when not everyone is on the same page. You can evaluate the calls in any
game and find fault or mistakes in mechanics. The key is who is following the book, and
who is going off on their own. This is especially important in situations were you are not
with you regular crew i.e.; JV or rec. games.
Now don't get me wrong rules knowledge is very important as is team work and hustle.
But most import is consistency. If everyone does it the same it will be consistent.