The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Scrimmage kick/goal line (https://forum.officiating.com/football/83162-scrimmage-kick-goal-line.html)

glt1958 Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:15pm

Scrimmage kick/goal line

Federation...player trying to kill punt before it goes into end zone. I know the ball cannot be batted out of the EZ once it has broken the plane but can a player be in the EZ and stop the ball from entering? Isn't it the ball and not the player in Fed?

Rich Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by glt1958 (Post 798957)
Federation...player trying to kill punt before it goes into end zone. I know the ball cannot be batted out of the EZ once it has broken the plane but can a player be in the EZ and stop the ball from entering? Isn't it the ball and not the player in Fed?

Yes, it's the ball that's important.

voiceoflg Thu Nov 17, 2011 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 798958)
Yes, it's the ball that's important.

What about on a punt? Can the player's feet touch the end zone and bat the ball out before the ball touches the ground in the end zone after crossing the goal line?

Rich Thu Nov 17, 2011 01:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by voiceoflg (Post 798963)
What about on a punt? Can the player's feet touch the end zone and bat the ball out before the ball touches the ground in the end zone after crossing the goal line?

No. In NFHS football, the goal line is a plane -- if the ball crosses the plane on a punt, it's a touchback. K can be in the end zone in order to keep the ball from crossing the plane, though.

The rules are completely different than the NFL, where the ball must touch in the end zone and K cannot touch down in the end zone at all (otherwise, it's a touchback).

BktBallRef Thu Nov 17, 2011 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by voiceoflg (Post 798963)

That's the same question the OP asked. :rolleyes:

voiceoflg Thu Nov 17, 2011 04:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 798967)
That's the same question the OP asked.

Oops...lack of sleep. My apologies.

BktBallRef Thu Nov 17, 2011 09:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by voiceoflg (Post 798989)
Oops...lack of sleep. My apologies.

LOL! I know the feeling. :)

Suudy Fri Nov 18, 2011 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 798967)
That's the same question the OP asked. :rolleyes:

It's a bit different:
The bolded part wasn't in the original question. But there could be a case for KCI if the ball is touched by K while still in flight, depending upon where R is in relation to the ball.

Robert Goodman Fri Nov 18, 2011 05:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suudy (Post 799154)
It's a bit different:
The bolded part wasn't in the original question. But there could be a case for KCI if the ball is touched by K while still in flight, depending upon where R is in relation to the ball.

I don't see how, if the ball has already left the field of play in the air.

Suudy Fri Nov 18, 2011 05:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 799171)
I don't see how, if the ball has already left the field of play in the air.

Doh! I focused on the "in the air", and overlooked the "in the endzone." My apologies.