The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Oregon 2-pt play? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/83018-oregon-2-pt-play.html)

Smoothieking Sat Nov 12, 2011 08:47pm

Oregon 2-pt play?

In the Stanford game, the Oregon long snapper snapped the ball sideways in the swinging gate formation, and then went out for a pass, caught the ball and scored. How can the snapper be an eligible receiver?

TXMike Sat Nov 12, 2011 09:02pm

He was wearing an eligible number and was on the end of the line so under NCAA rules, he was eligible

JugglingReferee Sat Nov 12, 2011 09:10pm

The person that snaps the ball does not need to be an ineligible pass receiver.

It's just that it usually is.

BktBallRef Sat Nov 12, 2011 09:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXMike (Post 798259)
He was wearing an eligible number and was on the end of the line so under NCAA rules, he was eligible

As he would have been under NFHS rules as well.

JugglingReferee Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:55pm

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 798264)
As he would have been under NFHS rules as well.

CANADIAN RULING:

Legal. :D

chymechowder Sun Nov 13, 2011 04:40am

he wasn't standing with his shoulders perpendicular to the neutral zone, though, was he? (like the Maine / James Madison game)

TXMike Sun Nov 13, 2011 07:07am

No he was lined up legally

Robert Goodman Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoothieking (Post 798257)
In the Stanford game, the Oregon long snapper snapped the ball sideways in the swinging gate formation, and then went out for a pass, caught the ball and scored. How can the snapper be an eligible receiver?

What you're really asking is, how can an end be the snapper? And the answer is that the rest of the OL doesn't have to be on both sides of the ball.

Smoothieking Sun Nov 13, 2011 03:09pm

Thanks for the replies. I was looking for clarification that the player snapping the ball could indeed be an eligible receiver.

mbyron Sun Nov 13, 2011 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoothieking (Post 798307)
Thanks for the replies. I was looking for clarification that the player snapping the ball could indeed be an eligible receiver.

NCAA and NFHS have the same restrictions on eligibility. The player must be BOTH (1) a back or end, AND (2) wearing an eligible number (1-49, 80-99).

These are the ONLY conditions on eligibility. So if the snapper meets them, he's eligible.

Robert Goodman Sun Nov 13, 2011 06:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 798313)
NCAA and NFHS have the same restrictions on eligibility. The player must be BOTH (1) a back or end, AND (2) wearing an eligible number (1-49, 80-99).

Except that in NCAA, condition 1 is to be a back, an end, or a player in position to receive a hand-to-hand snap from between the snapper’s legs. That last position in Fed is defined as a back, but NCAA has not chosen to make that consolidation. NFL still hasn't extended eligibility to receive a forward pass to a player in that position.

Steven Tyler Tue Nov 15, 2011 02:58pm

I didn't see the play as I left the room after Oregon scored, but don't the coaches usually check with the refs before the game to discuss the legality of trick plays.

stratref Wed Nov 16, 2011 05:47am

I think I know where some of this confusion comes from. It is the difference between eligible receiver and being able to legally receive a forward hand-off.
Please forgive me if I am slightly misquoting the rule, I have finished my football season and am already studying my baseball rules. But the rules for receiving a forward pass and a forward hand-off (without turning around and being at least a yard behind the line of scrimmage) are identical except that the snapper and those adjacent to the snapper on the line of scrimmage must do the "turn around thing".

Jasper

HLin NC Wed Nov 16, 2011 07:59am

No, some people just think the snapper is ineligible. I don't think they are confusing it with the "fumblerooski" or forward handoff.

Robert Goodman Wed Nov 16, 2011 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stratref (Post 798783)
I think I know where some of this confusion comes from. It is the difference between eligible receiver and being able to legally receive a forward hand-off.

Please forgive me if I am slightly misquoting the rule, I have finished my football season and am already studying my baseball rules. But the rules for receiving a forward pass and a forward hand-off (without turning around and being at least a yard behind the line of scrimmage) are identical except that the snapper and those adjacent to the snapper on the line of scrimmage must do the "turn around thing".

A provision on that subject distinguishing players in just those positions exists in some code (forgot whether Canadian or NFL), but not Fed or NCAA.