The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

9 man game on regulation field NFHS

9 man football field marked on a regular field, meaning it's 80 yards long so the back of the endzones will actually be the goal lines for a 11 man game.

Question: What do we do for field goals? Do we just move everything up 10 yards since the goal posts can't be moved? If it's 4th and 8 on the 12 yard line do we just move it up to the normal 12 yard line and play from there?

I have looked through my books and can't find anything.

Thanks.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 09:02am
Official & ***** Member

Hmmmm. Never thought of that, but it seems like a reasonable solution.

Around here, 8-man teams play on a regulation, 100 yard field, so this isn't an issue.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 09:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

We have one local 8-man school that plays on a field originally set up for 11-man.

They have relined the filed to be the proper 8-man length and width. If a team headed to one end zone wishes to kick, we move to the other end of the field. No other reasonable choice, really, since the posts are 20 yards deeper than they would normally be.

Of course, I've worked 4 games there the past 2 years and never did have a team kick.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

We play 9-man on a 100-yard field that is narrower than a regulation field. We have a 9-man state game Saturday played on a regulation field at a high school in the Twin Cities. We are wondering how they will redo the field to make it regulation.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
We play 9-man on a 100-yard field that is narrower than a regulation field. We have a 9-man state game Saturday played on a regulation field at a high school in the Twin Cities. We are wondering how they will redo the field to make it regulation.
Don't you think they will just paint/mark new sidelines and hash marks?
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Could be--but the game is on artificial turf and I don't know how permanent the existing lines are.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

2 of the schools we work every year share a turf field, one plays 11 man and the other 8 man on the 80 yard narrower field.

The goal lines are orange (11-man school's color) and the 10s are black (8 man school's color) The 11 man hashes are marked as yard lines, but the 8 man hash's are also marked intersecting each 5. The only real marking problem we have, is when we play the 8-man games, the "goal-line" ends 4 inches from each sideline.

After a score at either end zone, they have a crew of kids who move the pylons and we play the try from the normal 3 yard line whether there is a kick or not. Not a big problem, because if the kick is blocked, its dead.

This year we had a field goal attempt, so we moved up 10 yards. Including moving the chains to the new correct yard line. The kick was blocked, recovered and returned. As I was running back, I was processing in my mind, where is the goal line now? The kid slipped around midfield and fell so my "problem" was solved. When we respotted the ball 10 yards closer to the correct goal line, but announcer interpreted a penalty agaisnt the offense, the coach was screaming, until I reminded him, we had the 10 yard distance to make up.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 12:25pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Could be--but the game is on artificial turf and I don't know how permanent the existing lines are.
They'll paint temporary OOB lines on the field.... At least, that's how they do it for the semifinals and finals in the dome (and how they did it in Duluth when I was up there a few years ago for a quarterfinal game).
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you work 9 man games regularly? I have a class A quarterfinal game this year for the first time and I was very happy to see that I wasn't assigned a 9-man game as my crew has never worked that before.

Good luck in your game this weekend. The weather looks like it should be pretty decent for November in MN.