The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 25, 2011, 12:11pm
Archaic Power Monger

There is a Federation fundamental that no penalty is greater than 15 yards so I believe it is their intent that the penalities are 15+15 instead of one 30 yarder.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2011, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

X. PENALTY MEASUREMENT
1. The distance penalty for any foul may be declined.
2. Penalties are either 5, 10 or 15 yards.
3. Any live-ball foul is penalized according to the all-but-one enforcement principle except:
a. Fouls which occur simultaneously with the snap.
b. A foul by the opponents of the scoring team during a successful try, field goal or touchdown
when the score is accepted.
c. A nonplayer or unsportsmanlike foul.
d. Roughing the passer when the dead ball spot is beyond the neutral zone and there has been
no change of team possession.
4. Penalty enforcement for any dead ball, nonplayer or unsportsmanlike foul is from the succeeding
spot unless the foul occurs on a scoring play and the scoring team chooses enforcement on the
kickoff per 8-2-2, 8-2-3, 8-2-4 or 8-2-5
5. The penalty for any one of the five illegal passes is a loss of 5 yards and the down is counted except
for a forward pass following change of team possession.
6. The penalty for offensive pass interference includes the loss of down.
7. No penalty directly results in a safety, but if a distance penalty is enforced from behind the offender’s
goal line toward his end line, it is a safety.
8. The penalty for a live-ball foul by the defensive team is administered from the basic spot, except
when that spot is in the end zone.
9. The loss of down aspect of a penalty has no significance following a change of possession or if the
line to gain is reached after enforcement.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2011, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
Second 15 is USC!

PENALTY: Illegal forward pass (Arts. 2a,b,c) – (S35); intentional grounding
(Arts. 2d,e) –(S36) – 5 yards plus loss of down – (S9). Pass interference (Art.
10) – (S33) – 15 yards and automatic first down if by B, 15 yards plus loss of
down if by A – (S9). If the pass interference by either player is intentional, his
team shall be penalized an additional 15 yards (S27). Ineligible downfield
(Art. 12) – (S37) – 5 yards. Illegal touching (Art. 13) – (S16) – 5 yards plus loss
of down.
So then they didn't get rid of all the contact USCs -- or they did, and later brought one in.

Another interesting aspect is that this is an exception to 9-9-1. In other codes an intentional pass interference that saves an obvious touchdown could be penalized equitably by the award of the score, but in Fed this special 15+15 penalty (however it's administered) is clearly "specific rule coverage" which supersedes the equitable penalty.

Last edited by Robert Goodman; Tue Oct 25, 2011 at 06:10pm.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2011, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
So then they didn't get rid of all the contact USCs -- or they did, and later brought one in.

Another interesting aspect is that this is an exception to 9-9-1. In other codes an intentional pass interference that saves an obvious touchdown could be penalized equitably by the award of the score, but in Fed this special 15+15 penalty (however it's administered) is clearly "specific rule coverage" which supersedes the equitable penalty.
In theory, I suppose you can award a score under NFL rules for an palpably unfair act, but realistically, that rule is mainly used for interference by non-players.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

In a high school game in VA... After a TD play there were two sepereate dead ball unsportsmanlike penalties and the referees kick the ball off from the opponets 30 yard line. Never seen a kickoff from the opponets 30 before that night.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

if they didn't try an onside kick they are stupid.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Try the 10

High school game with 4 penalties assessed on the kickoff. They kicked from the R 10 yard line. They kicked it OOB at the 4 hoping that R would accept the 5 yard penalty and force them to rekick so they could try an onside kick. The only other option they have at that point (no 25 yards from where the ball was kicked) was to accept the play - which they did.