The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Loss of Down? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/82695-loss-down.html)

stiffler3492 Sat Oct 22, 2011 02:06am

Loss of Down?

Watching my local high school's game tonight. Quarterback throws a fade to his receiver in the end zone. Official calls OPI on the play.

The officials penalized 15 yards AND loss of down. Never seen that before. Is that the correct rule?

tomes1978 Sat Oct 22, 2011 06:37am

yes

mbyron Sat Oct 22, 2011 09:11am

We had OPI during a try last night. The other coach wanted to know if he could take the penalty on the kickoff. :rolleyes:

stiffler3492 Sat Oct 22, 2011 09:52am

Is it because the foul occurred in the end zone, or does every OPI penalty carry a loss of down?

BktBallRef Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 795307)
Is it because the foul occurred in the end zone, or does every OPI penalty carry a loss of down?

Under NFHS rules, OPI includes loss of down.

As an official, why would you assume the officials were wrong? Wouldn't it make sense that you just didn't know the rule? :)

stiffler3492 Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 795310)
Under NFHS rules, OPI includes loss of down.

As an official, why would you assume the officials were wrong? Wouldn't it make sense that you just didn't know the rule? :)

I just don't know that I've ever seen an OPI penalty at the high school level before. I only have a basic knowledge of football rules. I've heard it's the most complex rule set in sports!

BktBallRef Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 795311)
I just don't know that I've ever seen an OPI penalty at the high school level before. I only have a basic knowledge of football rules. I've heard it's the most complex rule set in sports!

My point is don't assume that the officials were wrong. Realize "I didn't know that!" ;)

stiffler3492 Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 795312)
My point is don't assume that the officials were wrong. Realize "I didn't know that!" ;)

I've already run into a case where two different varsity crews called the same exact play two different ways. I'd love to assume that all officials are correct, no matter what. Missed calls happen in every sport on every level. We're human. We're wrong sometimes. Not assuming, just asking.

MNBlue Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 795288)
Watching my local high school's game tonight. Quarterback throws a fade to his receiver in the end zone. Official calls OPI on the play.

The officials penalized 15 yards AND loss of down. Never seen that before. Is that the correct rule?

You wouldn't happen to be from Chanhassen, MN, would you?

My crew had the exact same thing happen on Wednesday night.

We were right. Coaches were wrong.

stiffler3492 Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlue (Post 795319)
You wouldn't happen to be from Chanhassen, MN, would you?

My crew had the exact same thing happen on Wednesday night.

We were right. Coaches were wrong.

No sir. Chicago area

BktBallRef Sat Oct 22, 2011 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 795314)
I've already run into a case where two different varsity crews called the same exact play two different ways. I'd love to assume that all officials are correct, no matter what. Missed calls happen in every sport on every level. We're human. We're wrong sometimes. Not assuming, just asking.

Actually, unless you KNOW they rules, you should assume the officials are correct.

If you see the same play called two different ways, then that would be a reason to question the situation.

stiffler3492 Sat Oct 22, 2011 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 795325)
Actually, unless you KNOW they rules, you should assume the officials are correct.

If you see the same play called two different ways, then that would be a reason to question the situation.

I didn't assume they were wrong. I was just asking.

Theisey Sat Oct 22, 2011 03:38pm

Stiff..
Officials can and do screw up enforcements, it's just one of those things.

So, just for your benefit, here are all NFHS LOD situations that can occur. I'll let you look up all those that are auto-first down (there are five as well).

LOD:
  1. OPI
  2. Illegal forward pass
  3. illegal forward handing
  4. Intentional grounding
  5. Illegal touching of a forward pass

Robert Goodman Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:13am

Quote:

Yes. NCAA & NFL formerly had the loss of down too, but first NFL and then NCAA eliminated it.

Go farther back and it was loss of ball.

JugglingReferee Sun Oct 23, 2011 07:07am

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

CANADIAN RULING:

OPI is 15 yards, no loss of down, but unrestricted.