The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

FIU-Arkansas St. ruling

This play happened in Tuesday night's game. I am not a football official anymore so while I know the rules are different for 4th down fumbles, I don't know the specifics well. Anyways...

Team A has the ball 4th and 1 at team B's 31 yard line. A1 completes a pass to A2 who runs to B's 27 yard line, then is hit and fumbles the ball backwards to B's 35 yard line. The ball is picked up by A3 at the 35, and carries it to B's 10 yard line before being tackled. (The ball is dead at the point A3 grabs it, right?)

The ruling on the field gave the ball to team A, 1st and 10. I do not remember if A received the ball on B's 27 or B's 35 though.

I found this ruling curious, as I thought B would get the ball. Team A gets a 1st and 10 because they made the line to gain, even though they fumbled it backwards? Any clarification is greatly appreciated.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 12:07pm
Chain of Fools

Sounds to me as if forward progress was ruled, particularly if the ball was given to them at the 27.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Box score says:

Fiu 4-1 at Asu33 Carroll, Wes pass complete to Times, Wayne for 2 yards to the ASU31, fumble forced by Nelms, Nick, fumble by Times, Wayne recovered by FIU Hilton, T.Y. at ASU31, 1ST DOWN FIU.

Fiu 1-10 at Asu31 Carroll, Wes pass complete to Times, Wayne for 6 yards to the ASU25 (Young, Sterling).

If it happened ths way, I don't see the problem. But your description is very different than this
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

If it happened the way you describe, it should have been B's ball. But it sounds like it didn't happen exactly that way.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN View Post
This play happened in Tuesday night's game. I am not a football official anymore so while I know the rules are different for 4th down fumbles, I don't know the specifics well. Anyways...

Team A has the ball 4th and 1 at team B's 31 yard line. A1 completes a pass to A2 who runs to B's 27 yard line, then is hit and fumbles the ball backwards to B's 35 yard line. The ball is picked up by A3 at the 35, and carries it to B's 10 yard line before being tackled. (The ball is dead at the point A3 grabs it, right?)

The ruling on the field gave the ball to team A, 1st and 10. I do not remember if A received the ball on B's 27 or B's 35 though.

I found this ruling curious, as I thought B would get the ball. Team A gets a 1st and 10 because they made the line to gain, even though they fumbled it backwards? Any clarification is greatly appreciated.
A got the ball on B's 35 (Where the A player who recovered the fumble picked it up).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
If it happened the way you describe, it should have been B's ball. But it sounds like it didn't happen exactly that way.
Should it be B's ball even if A recovered the fumble?
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Should it be B's ball even if A recovered the fumble?
????

Should it be A's ball if they didn't achieve the LTG on 4th down?

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
I found the same statistics that TxMike quoted @ three different locations. It semms you may have gotten the yardlines wrong.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!