The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Then what are the other 4 officials doing? Part of the reason I see we signal is to clarify we have no issues on the play. And I used to do this as a WH and I never took my eyes off the players when something was going on. I often did it when players were have clearly stopped playing. But we take our eyes off of players in many situation (like to go chase a ball on a long play or pass). I do not find that as a viable reason either way. If you do not want to do it I am OK with that, but not just because we take our eyes off the players when we have to do that a lot in this sport.

Peace
+1
We should signal the press box when the score is official. They should not change the score until they see the R signal to them. (PS - the idea that you're taking a look away from the play is silly - you have crew out there, and additionally, it's not like you're in a rush to make this signal ... signal it when it's clear the play is over and you have no fouls).

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 04:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
+1
We should signal the press box when the score is official. They should not change the score until they see the R signal to them. (PS - the idea that you're taking a look away from the play is silly - you have crew out there, and additionally, it's not like you're in a rush to make this signal ... signal it when it's clear the play is over and you have no fouls).
When I chop in the RFP on the try they know the score is official. On top of that, I really don't care about the scoreboard. Eventually, the points will go up there regardless of whether or not I signal.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
When I chop in the RFP on the try they know the score is official. On top of that, I really don't care about the scoreboard. Eventually, the points will go up there regardless of whether or not I signal.
I do signal as the R. But I wait till the players have cleared each other. I also don't look right at the press box. I keep my head turned to the players when I signal.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Signal it, but be smart. The guys on my crew know what we're doing. First, the goal post guys know to hold their signal as I'm watching the players (on a FG/try) and more or less waiting for them to clear. I turn pretty late compared to many others.

While watching the players is important, don't use it as an excuse to stop doing something we need to do. Figure out a way to do it all.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Is a fist (with or without thumb up) signal by subsidiary officials no longer an allowed mechanic?
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

While I no longer work the field for ECAC games... the mechanics still are clear.. do not signal TD if there is a foul that would negate the score.

That's the way it should be for high school ball too. The team-B coach wll find out the results of the play, etc. by using standard official/coach communications as for any other foul.