The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

How many of umpires out there signal a touchdown when the ball is at the three or less and the ball carrier goes straight up the middle?
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

I don't umpire a lot, I'm usually the linesman. But, when I do umpire, I don't signal a touchdown unless the ball is rignt up the middle, with the ballcarrier's back to the wing, so that the umpire is the only ref with a clear view of the ball. When it's the wing's call, let them call it.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

We teach that the "U" or anyone else does not signal a score unless he is standing on the goal line and the ball is exposed to him. Typically for the "U" this means that the ball was snapped from the 4,5 or 6 yard line.
There is no hurry in signaling a TD. Years ago I was the "R" in a game where the ball was snapped from the three and the ball carrier slipped momentarily and his knee hit the ground. He popped right up and bulled his way into the endzone. The umpire and the back judge signaled a score while the linejudge marked his progress at the 1 and 1/2 yard line. That is where we ruled the play dead. The score would ahve won the game and the TD signals caused us a lot of conternation. Needless to say the fans and the coaches from team A were not happy. They fumbled and lost the ball on the next play.
This just goes to show, we cause most of our own problems by the use of poor mechanics.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

We teach that the "U" or anyone else does not signal a score unless he is standing on the goal line and the ball is exposed to him. Typically for the "U" this means that the ball was snapped from the 4,5 or 6 yard line.
There is no hurry in signaling a TD. Years ago I was the "R" in a game where the ball was snapped from the three and the ball carrier slipped momentarily and his knee hit the ground. He popped right up and bulled his way into the endzone. The umpire and the back judge signaled a score while the linejudge marked his progress at the 1 and 1/2 yard line. That is where we ruled the play dead. The score would ahve won the game and the TD signals caused us a lot of conternation. Needless to say the fans and the coaches from team A were not happy. They fumbled and lost the ball on the next play.
This just goes to show, we cause most of our own problems by the use of poor mechanics.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Here in So. Cal. we teach the same. It is important in a pre-game meeting that you tell your crew that only the flanks can call the goal line toucdown. It is embarrasing to have one set of officials call a touchdown and the flanks come in to show progress.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Where do you guys place the umpire on kick-offs?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
On kickoffs, the umpire hands the ball to the kicker and then sets up 10 yards behind the ball.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

In So. Cal. our umpire in five man mechanics line up between the 10-15 yard line, the same side of the press box at the side line. The goal line is the refs. responsibility. Our back judge gives the ball to the kicker.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Does your umpire count the defensive players on every play and if so what is your signal?
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Smile

In Southern Oregon, our U's do not give a touchdown signal. Typically, if the wings cannot see where the ball carrier goes they will wait. If no one has a signal, the U will say to the R, "I have the ball in the end zone." The R may give a signal or it may come from the LJ or H.

On kickoff, we work a 4-man. Then umpire is back with the R. In a five man, H and L are up. B, U and R are back.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2000, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

As Ray Lutz has said in his reply, we do not like the Umpire to signal touchdown. I prefer my two wing officials to signal touchdown in all situations, not just within the three yard line. If your Umpire comes up with a touchdown signal the same time one of your Wings come in with a spot, you as the Ref are going to have to make a difficult decision. I like the mechanic that the Umpire says, "We have a ball in the endzone", or "The bread is in the oven", or whatever to let the others know where the ball is. If the wings do not have the runner down prior to going over the goal line, then TD.