The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Confused on 4th down OPI (https://forum.officiating.com/football/81889-confused-4th-down-opi.html)

Refsmitty Fri Oct 07, 2011 08:32am

Confused on 4th down OPI

Situation is 4th and 10... A is called for OPI - pass is incomplete... if B declines the penalty do they just get the ball due to turnover on downs or do they also get the 15 yard penalty for the OPI.

I am thinking they just get the ball and the 15 yards and loss of down is not an issue.

What if the pass was complete for a first down and OPI was called? I think that B get the ball by declining the penalty - now a turnover on downs - correct?

I am unable to locate that sit in case book

jTheUmp Fri Oct 07, 2011 08:40am

It's not in the casebook because it's straightforward penalty enforcement. B can either accept the penalty, or decline ALL of the penalty.

For the sake of discussion, let's say the ball is snapped at B's 20 yard line, 4th and 10.

Situation 1:
OPI, pass falls incomplete.
a) accept the penalty, first and 10 for B at B's 35.
b) decline the penalty, first and 10 for B at B's 20.

Situation 2:
OPI, pass completed and down at B's 8 yard line.
a) accept the penalty, first and 10 for B at B's 35.
b) decline the penalty, first and goal for A at B's 8.

Why would B ever decline the penalty?

Refsmitty Fri Oct 07, 2011 08:46am

Opi

Damn good question!:)

I am getting myself confused with the loss of down part of the penalty - which doesn't come into play in this situation - correct?

bisonlj Fri Oct 07, 2011 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refsmitty (Post 792029)
Damn good question!:)

I am getting myself confused with the loss of down part of the penalty - which doesn't come into play in this situation - correct?

Actually it comes into play significantly. If it didn't A would get to replay the down if B accepted the penalty. Because it carries a loss of down B can accept the penatly, get the 15 yards and then get the ball.

Refsmitty Fri Oct 07, 2011 09:00am

Got it - thanks fellas!

;)

JugglingReferee Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:42am

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refsmitty (Post 792020)
Situation is 4th and 10... A is called for OPI - pass is incomplete... if B declines the penalty do they just get the ball due to turnover on downs or do they also get the 15 yard penalty for the OPI.

I am thinking they just get the ball and the 15 yards and loss of down is not an issue.

What if the pass was complete for a first down and OPI was called? I think that B get the ball by declining the penalty - now a turnover on downs - correct?

I am unable to locate that sit in case book

CANADIAN RULING:

Decline the penalty reverts to an incomplete pass, so a turnover on downs.
Accept the penalty is loss of 15 yards (unrestricted), down repeated.