The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Coffin corner punt mechanic

K is punting from the 50. It lands on the 10 and goes bounding out of bounds inside the 5 on the line judges sideline. How do you guys handle responsibility for that spot? Back judge or line judge? And now lets say its right at/over the pylon, what is the proper handling of that one?
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 12:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

5 man mechanics.

The BJ and LJ are the ones that are typically going to be deep on most mechanics. The only way to really handle it is if the ball is kicked there, they have to decide where the ball went out if the ball first hit the ground. If the ball went over the sideline in the air, then they can get help from the Referee if they can get a look (you might want to discuss when that happens). The bottom line, you have to do your best to get in position to make a call even when you do not have the officials to be in a better spot.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

5-man crews are not the best for covering a punt like this. We would want our back judge to move toward that side of the field. Even as fast as he is, we would not want him all the way to the sideline. Therefore, the line judge needs to hustle down to assist. We release our line judge as soon as the ball is snapped so I would hope he would at least get a decent look.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2011, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
5-man crews are not the best for covering a punt like this. We would want our back judge to move toward that side of the field. Even as fast as he is, we would not want him all the way to the sideline. Therefore, the line judge needs to hustle down to assist. We release our line judge as soon as the ball is snapped so I would hope he would at least get a decent look.
In our association BJ lines up slightly behind the deepest returner(s) 3-5 ydsThe LJ lines up even with the returner on his sideline. HL has sole responsibility for LOS and wether the kick crosses NZ

Our Mechanic if the LOS is the 40yd line or less going in we both lineup at the pylons. Havent had any close bouncers by the pylon in 3 years but based on our mechanic it seems we are in good position to make an accurate ruling.