The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 21, 2011, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

QB goes in motion

Fed Rules:

QB lines up over the center, but does not put his hand underneath. Then, goes in motion parallel to the LOS. The QB does not get set for one sec while the ball is long snapped to the tailback. What do you have?
Old Wed Sep 21, 2011, 03:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalStripes View Post
Fed Rules:

QB lines up over the center, but does not put his hand underneath. Then, goes in motion parallel to the LOS. The QB does not get set for one sec while the ball is long snapped to the tailback. What do you have?
Based purely on the rule this is a foul for illegal shift/motion. In reality I would not go crazy over the QB being totally set as other players so when they get in position. In other words, this is a HTBT situation.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 21, 2011, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

I originally thought this was illegal motion, but after researching the rules/case book I think this is legal in FED rules. The QB can go in motion and does not have to get set for a second or be 5 yards deep at the snap.

7-2-7 ...... Except for the player "under the snapper" a outlined in Article 3, the player in motion shall be at least 5 yards behind his line of scrimmage at the snap if he started from any position not clearly behind the line and did not establish himself as a back by stopping for at least one full second while no par tof his body is breaking hte vertical plane through the wasitline of his nearest teammate who is on the line of scrimmage.

2-32-3 ... A back is any A player who has no part of his body breaking the plane of an imaginary line drawn parallel to he line of scrimmage through the wasit of the nearest teammate who is legally on the line, except for the player under the snapper, who is also considered a back.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2011, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fed Rules:

If A has come set properly before the back went in motion, then this motion is legal. 7-2-7

If all 11 did not come set prior to the back going in motion, then you would have an illegal shift. 7-2-6
Old Wed Sep 21, 2011, 03:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Of course the QB can go in motion or shift, that is not the issue. A QB is technically a back and has all the rights of a back. My point was that I am not going to nitpick them being set if they are calling signals or directing their team when their feet or still and would allow some minor movement because they are about likely to receive the snap.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 21, 2011, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Of course the QB can go in motion or shift, that is not the issue. A QB is technically a back and has all the rights of a back. My point was that I am not going to nitpick them being set if they are calling signals or directing their team when their feet or still and would allow some minor movement because they are about likely to receive the snap.

Peace
Quite irrelevant to the OP. This is a question about the provision in 7-2-7 that specifically permits the QB to go in motion without being 5 yards behind the NZ.

Being "technically a back" (is there any other way?) is equally irrelevant to this special provision.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2011, 04:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Quite irrelevant to the OP. This is a question about the provision in 7-2-7 that specifically permits the QB to go in motion without being 5 yards behind the NZ.

Being "technically a back" (is there any other way?) is equally irrelevant to this special provision.
You totally missed the point of my post. People often try to hold the QB to a similar standard as other players for being set (meaning being totally still) when they are turning to their teammates and giving signals and split hairs if the QB is "set" or not. Actually this was an issue about a week ago in one of my games where a QB in my game would put their hands under the center and a teammate was in motion. I wanted to make clear that the reality is that this happens often and I would not go crazy if they are actually not completely still but use common sense that we expect a QB to look around or to move their hands to get ready to receive the snap.

Also there is no player definition of a Quarterback under definitions so I was making it clear they have the same rights as any back on the field. It sounded to me that he wanted to not allow them the same rights so "technically" they are a back by rule despite the football slang terminology that we use to describe a player.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 21, 2011, 05:06pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Typically we extend this courtesy to all players. If lineman are rotating on their hips and pointing or talking, we let that slide (if they have a hand down, they need to keep it there, but otherwise we let them rotate).
Old Wed Sep 21, 2011, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I originally thought this was illegal motion, but after researching the rules/case book I think this is legal in FED rules. The QB can go in motion and does not have to get set for a second or be 5 yards deep at the snap.
All 11 players must be set for one second.

As for his hands, whether he puts them under cneter or not is immaterial.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Sep 21, 2011, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You totally missed the point of my post.
On the contrary, I understood your post thoroughly and completely. And that's how I know it was utterly irrelevant to the discussion in this thread.

Merely posting a true statement does not make you relevant.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2011, 06:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
On the contrary, I understood your post thoroughly and completely. And that's how I know it was utterly irrelevant to the discussion in this thread.

Merely posting a true statement does not make you relevant.
Well I was not talking to you in the first place (funny how that happens like that) and if you might be thinking one thing, someone else might be thinking another. If the poster was not talking about that, he can clarify what he was trying to understand. That is what happens here and it really do not matter what you find relevant or not.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 21, 2011, 06:52pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
CANADIAN RULING:

I have nada. Legal play.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2011, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well I was not talking to you in the first place (funny how that happens like that) and if you might be thinking one thing, someone else might be thinking another. If the poster was not talking about that, he can clarify what he was trying to understand. That is what happens here and it really do not matter what you find relevant or not.
You weren't talking to the OP either, since your comment was irrelevant. And if relevance is irrelevant, why have threads at all?

And: it happens here only because people post comments in threads that are irrelevant to the OP.

New and pertinent: that's the name of the game. So far, you've mastered only 50%.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2011, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You totally missed the point of my post. People often try to hold the QB to a similar standard as other players for being set (meaning being totally still) when they are turning to their teammates and giving signals and split hairs if the QB is "set" or not. Actually this was an issue about a week ago in one of my games where a QB in my game would put their hands under the center and a teammate was in motion. I wanted to make clear that the reality is that this happens often and I would not go crazy if they are actually not completely still but use common sense that we expect a QB to look around or to move their hands to get ready to receive the snap.
This is why the pro rules don't call it a shift unless a player moves to a new set position by moving one or both feet. I don't know whether the NFL has the older rule in that regard and the other codes changed it, or vice versa.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2011, 11:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You weren't talking to the OP either, since your comment was irrelevant. And if relevance is irrelevant, why have threads at all?

And: it happens here only because people post comments in threads that are irrelevant to the OP.

New and pertinent: that's the name of the game. So far, you've mastered only 50%.
You are right, I have no idea what I was referring to or why I said what I did. Thank you for letting me know professor. I will keep that in mind the next time I comment on something. Once again, I was not talking to you so why do you really care?

Peace