The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   What is your opinion of the pants after wearing them? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/80001-what-your-opinion-pants-after-wearing-them.html)

Texas Aggie Sat Sep 03, 2011 04:03pm

What is your opinion of the pants after wearing them?

For those that have gone to the black pants -- especially those that were leery of whether they'd be hotter -- what is your opinion now after wearing them (if you have)?

I have the lighter weight Smittys. Without a doubt, they are MUCH more comfortable than the knickers. They are NOT hotter -- in fact, the opposite. They breathe a little better since they are 1) lighter and 2) away from the skin unlike most fitted knickers. Last night, I had to wear knickers and after 2 games last week with the pants, I HATED it. Keep in mind, its been hotter in Texas than usual, and hotter here than most other places.

Rich Sat Sep 03, 2011 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 785391)
For those that have gone to the black pants -- especially those that were leery of whether they'd be hotter -- what is your opinion now after wearing them (if you have)?

I have the lighter weight Smittys. Without a doubt, they are MUCH more comfortable than the knickers. They are NOT hotter -- in fact, the opposite. They breathe a little better since they are 1) lighter and 2) away from the skin unlike most fitted knickers. Last night, I had to wear knickers and after 2 games last week with the pants, I HATED it. Keep in mind, its been hotter in Texas than usual, and hotter here than most other places.

I'll never wear knickers again.

Reffing Rev. Sat Sep 03, 2011 05:28pm

In Nebraska we're only allowed to wear black pants with long sleeves. So yes, that would be hotter in September.

Thats what the NSAA says, and reminds us in emails weekly, but both NSAA games I've seen on TV in Omaha have seen officials with black pants and short sleeves. Go figure. We're due for an observation/evaluation this season, and the guys are saying as soon as we get observed, they want to go to the black pants for the rest of the year, with or without long sleeves.

jstewart Sat Sep 03, 2011 08:03pm

They are both very comfortable. The lightweight version is certainly cooler.

PA-28-181 Sat Sep 03, 2011 08:17pm

In Iowa we can ware them, our crew will not go back to the white knickers. My wife likes them WAY better also.

Tom.OH Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:07pm

I like the black pants. My crew decided to wear them this year (will be manditory in Ohio next year). We have worn them the last 2 weeks. Last night I was a little worried as I do not have the light weight pants and the temp at kickoff was 95 degrees. They were not any hotter then the old knickers. I will order a light weight pair but can live with the heavier version.

Texas Aggie Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:09pm

Quote:

temp at kickoff was 95 degrees
That was probably our temp last night at 10 as we left the field, and last week, I doubt it got down that low.

Texas has been brutal this year. Anyone up north have a summer rental for next year?

JRutledge Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:22am

We have worn them the last three seasons including this one. So that should tell you my opinion of them. My high school crew already said we are not wearing knickers again. And as a college official this is not a debate.

Peace

Tom.OH Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 785436)
That was probably our temp last night at 10 as we left the field, and last week, I doubt it got down that low.

Texas has been brutal this year. Anyone up north have a summer rental for next year?

My wifes brother and his wife live in the Waco area and they have told us how hot it has been. Both were born in Michigan and lived in Ohio before moving to Texas. Sure not ready for the weather down there.

Forksref Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 785436)

I have one in ND. In ND, summer means 3 months of bad sledding.

PS - The Honig's lightweight pants are great. We'll use them all year for varsity games.

Texas Aggie Sun Sep 04, 2011 01:15pm

Forks -- winter down here means I only wear shorts 3 times a week instead of 7!

CT1 Sun Sep 04, 2011 01:28pm

We have been wearing the light-weight Smittys, and we like 'em. I particularly like that we can wear regular socks, instead of the calf-cutting old ones.

As far as temperature, I can't tell much difference. They're surely not any hotter than the knickers.

mbyron Sun Sep 04, 2011 02:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forksref (Post 785562)
I have one in ND. In ND, summer means 3 months of bad sledding.

I thought it meant you had just 2 seasons: July 15 and winter. ;)

parepat Mon Sep 05, 2011 02:32pm

I love the knickers. This is the last year in Ohio to wear them, and our crew vowed to use them til the bitter end. VIVI LA KNICKER!

bisonlj Mon Sep 05, 2011 04:07pm

I was pretty hot in the lightweight pants yesterday but it was nearly 100 degrees throughout the game. I don't think it made much of a difference. In the long run I think I will like them. I'm a traditionalist though and I like the knickers.

footballref Mon Sep 05, 2011 05:24pm

I have loved the pants since we first put them on last season. I am glad knickers are now a thing of the past for us.

Welpe Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:16pm

As soon as I tried on the lightweight pants I was sold and I haven't even had a chance to wear them in a game yet. I'll be a bit nostalgic for a bit but I won't miss the knickers.

HLin NC Tue Sep 06, 2011 06:25am

It has been so nice not to have to come home and spray socks and knickers with Shout or Greased Lightning and immediately throw them in the washer.

I still prefer the Gerry Davis model due to the gripper waist band and the slider adjustments. You can get a perfect fit and your shirt stays put. I have the original Honig's pants so the weather has not yet been foul enough to wear those.

The Smitty's mimic the Honig's with the tunnel belt loops but minus the "H" logo. I was also disappointed to have a hem come loose after the first game and had my dry cleaner go back over both legs. This wasn't the manufacturer's fault but the seller as they come unhemmed.

BktBallRef Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:55am

Had my Smitty's hemmed locally. No problems.

For years, I've always taken my basketball pants in and had an stitch put in the seat. It's a good idea to do this with the football pants as well.

IAUMP Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:01pm

Not True

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA-28-181 (Post 785417)
In Iowa we can ware them, our crew will not go back to the white knickers. My wife likes them WAY better also.

This is not a fully accurate statement. I spoke to Todd Tharp, Head of Officials in Iowa, before the season and he stated that the black pants are authorized for inclement weather and bad fields. This was also made very clear in the online rules meeting. Therefore, we are only authorized to where the knickers unless the weather/fields are bad.

umpirebob71 Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by parepat (Post 785793)
I love the knickers. This is the last year in Ohio to wear them, and our crew vowed to use them til the bitter end. VIVI LA KNICKER!

Skeets, We're just going to have to drag you kicking and screaming into the 21st century, aren't we? :D

Canned Heat Tue Sep 06, 2011 02:01pm

Wore the heavier "cold weather" version of the Smitty's black pants here in WI on Friday night with short sleeves for a game that started at 7pm and around 73 degrees and light rain at the start....still was not a problem. I think the opening at the leg cuff gives you some breathing and I think they look much better than knickers.

I'd like everyone's take on how much lighter or cooler the warm weather version is than the standard cool/inclement weather model...for those who have both.

We also have permanantly done away with white shorts, now that black shorts are fully accepted (for FR/JV high school games)....thank goodness.

Texas Aggie Tue Sep 06, 2011 03:29pm

Heat, the lightweight version vs. the knickers aren't like stepping into an AC building (pants) after being out in the Texas August sun (knickers). I'd say its similar to when I was in school -- I'd get home and take my jeans off and put my shorts on (mild/warm day). Mainly more comfortable and less hot.

For those that still like the knicks, is it the look? The fit? I can sort of understand the former but not the latter.

BktBallRef Tue Sep 06, 2011 06:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canned Heat (Post 786005)
I'd like everyone's take on how much lighter or cooler the warm weather version is than the standard cool/inclement weather model...for those who have both.

The heavier pants are no thicker than the beltless slacks we wear for basketball.

The lighter pants are are almost see through when you hold them up to a light. Very thin material.

I haven't worn the heavier pants prior to October 15th, so it's a bit difficult to compare them. But obviously, the lighter pants are going to be a little cooler in hot weather.

The big thing is both are far more comfortable than the knickers I used to peel off after every game.

Tom.OH Tue Sep 06, 2011 07:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by parepat (Post 785793)

I had heard there was still one crew in Ohio wearing knickers.

Line_Judge Tue Sep 06, 2011 09:54pm

Black Pants

Our crew just started wearing the black pants. They seem cooler and more comfy.

I think we are converted.

Most of all, I will not miss those socks that go with the knicks!

JRutledge Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Line_Judge (Post 786058)
Most of all, I will not miss those socks that go with the knicks!

This is probably the biggest reason I hated Knickers. Not only did you have to have those socks, you had to have socks that fit. After a while these socks would not always be white and they would not stay up very well. I got tired of always having to pull them up when those socks would get older. No problem with the black pants, I just wear black socks. Life is good. :)

Peace

HLin NC Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:59pm

Yeah and you don't have to worry about rolling the sock and the knicker leg just so anymore either.

Texas Aggie Wed Sep 07, 2011 06:33pm

My biggest problem with the socks is that I like to wear tights underneath the pants and pulling the socks up is brutal.

BuckeyeRef Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom.OH (Post 786049)
I had heard there was still one crew in Ohio wearing knickers.

My crew will wear them all year. Good weather or bad. I'm old school and think the knickers look better.

Rich Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAUMP (Post 785986)
This is not a fully accurate statement. I spoke to Todd Tharp, Head of Officials in Iowa, before the season and he stated that the black pants are authorized for inclement weather and bad fields. This was also made very clear in the online rules meeting. Therefore, we are only authorized to where the knickers unless the weather/fields are bad.

Who gets to decide if the weather is inclement? The crew chief? Well, then, it could rain every Friday night. Pants it is.

Rich Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeRef (Post 786333)
My crew will wear them all year. Good weather or bad. I'm old school and think the knickers look better.

What does the rest of your crew think?

BuckeyeRef Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 786336)
What does the rest of your crew think?

Entire crew is in agreement.

Texas Aggie Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:16pm

That's fine -- there's no accounting for tastes. My goal in this topic was to eliminate any myths about the pants by getting actual experiences. There's nothing wrong with favoring the knickers but I think too many thought they would be hot or not look good. I think they look terrific, especially with the wider stripes and, dare I say it, shoes with white on them.

JRutledge Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeRef (Post 786337)
Entire crew is in agreement.

Well maybe you can take up the rest of the inventory of the vendors. They really need help getting rid of those pants. :D

Peace

Tom.OH Thu Sep 08, 2011 08:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 786346)
Well maybe you can take up the rest of the inventory of the vendors. They really need help getting rid of those pants. :D

Peace

Honigs has knickers on sale real cheap.

JRutledge Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom.OH (Post 786559)
Honigs has knickers on sale real cheap.

They will be free in a few months.

They told me they cannot give those things away and this was early August when I had that conversation. That is over a 50% mark down if I remember.

Peace

Rich Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:35am

I have some Northwestern stripe socks I'll never wear again. Maybe I should try to sell them.

The knickers have already been tossed in a pile to be discarded after the season. Tomorrow will be a wonderful night for the lightweight pants. High of 72, which means it will be in the mid 60s by kickoff and probably in the low 60s/upper 50s by the end of the game.

umpirebob71 Fri Sep 09, 2011 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 786594)
I have some Northwestern stripe socks I'll never wear again. Maybe I should try to sell them.

The knickers have already been tossed in a pile to be discarded after the season. Tomorrow will be a wonderful night for the lightweight pants. High of 72, which means it will be in the mid 60s by kickoff and probably in the low 60s/upper 50s by the end of the game.

I have eight pair of northwestern stripes that still have the tags on them. :(

Texas Aggie Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:26pm

We're still stuck - at least this year - with knickers being the "default." My crew wears black pants and we'll probably wear them all year for varsity, but subvarsity we work with a bunch of guys and coordinating a uniform is all but out of the question.

So next question: what states/orgs have gone black pants always or as the default?

Rich Fri Sep 09, 2011 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpirebob71 (Post 786646)
I have eight pair of northwestern stripes that still have the tags on them. :(

I think I have 4 or 5.

JRutledge Fri Sep 09, 2011 02:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 786697)
So next question: what states/orgs have gone black pants always or as the default?

Like I said this is a crew decision. There is no default for us. We can only wear black pants or knickers for varsity "night" games.

Peace

Reffing Rev. Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:45pm

Knickers!!!

Its so nice to watch Michigan and Notre Dame and see knickers...I wonder why we got ride of those hats? & I wonder how long it took Nebraska to catch up...

mbyron Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. (Post 787002)
Its so nice to watch Michigan and Notre Dame and see knickers...I wonder why we got ride of those hats? & I wonder how long it took Nebraska to catch up...

You can have the knickers, but I want me one of those lids!

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-conte...at-105x105.jpg

The poor R had to wear a boring black hat with piping.

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-conte...n-referees.jpg