The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   What is your opinion of the pants after wearing them? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/80001-what-your-opinion-pants-after-wearing-them.html)

Texas Aggie Sat Sep 03, 2011 04:03pm

What is your opinion of the pants after wearing them?

For those that have gone to the black pants -- especially those that were leery of whether they'd be hotter -- what is your opinion now after wearing them (if you have)?

I have the lighter weight Smittys. Without a doubt, they are MUCH more comfortable than the knickers. They are NOT hotter -- in fact, the opposite. They breathe a little better since they are 1) lighter and 2) away from the skin unlike most fitted knickers. Last night, I had to wear knickers and after 2 games last week with the pants, I HATED it. Keep in mind, its been hotter in Texas than usual, and hotter here than most other places.

Rich Sat Sep 03, 2011 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 785391)
For those that have gone to the black pants -- especially those that were leery of whether they'd be hotter -- what is your opinion now after wearing them (if you have)?

I have the lighter weight Smittys. Without a doubt, they are MUCH more comfortable than the knickers. They are NOT hotter -- in fact, the opposite. They breathe a little better since they are 1) lighter and 2) away from the skin unlike most fitted knickers. Last night, I had to wear knickers and after 2 games last week with the pants, I HATED it. Keep in mind, its been hotter in Texas than usual, and hotter here than most other places.

I'll never wear knickers again.

Reffing Rev. Sat Sep 03, 2011 05:28pm

In Nebraska we're only allowed to wear black pants with long sleeves. So yes, that would be hotter in September.

Thats what the NSAA says, and reminds us in emails weekly, but both NSAA games I've seen on TV in Omaha have seen officials with black pants and short sleeves. Go figure. We're due for an observation/evaluation this season, and the guys are saying as soon as we get observed, they want to go to the black pants for the rest of the year, with or without long sleeves.

jstewart Sat Sep 03, 2011 08:03pm

They are both very comfortable. The lightweight version is certainly cooler.

PA-28-181 Sat Sep 03, 2011 08:17pm

In Iowa we can ware them, our crew will not go back to the white knickers. My wife likes them WAY better also.

Tom.OH Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:07pm

I like the black pants. My crew decided to wear them this year (will be manditory in Ohio next year). We have worn them the last 2 weeks. Last night I was a little worried as I do not have the light weight pants and the temp at kickoff was 95 degrees. They were not any hotter then the old knickers. I will order a light weight pair but can live with the heavier version.

Texas Aggie Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:09pm

Quote:

temp at kickoff was 95 degrees
That was probably our temp last night at 10 as we left the field, and last week, I doubt it got down that low.

Texas has been brutal this year. Anyone up north have a summer rental for next year?

JRutledge Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:22am

We have worn them the last three seasons including this one. So that should tell you my opinion of them. My high school crew already said we are not wearing knickers again. And as a college official this is not a debate.

Peace

Tom.OH Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 785436)
That was probably our temp last night at 10 as we left the field, and last week, I doubt it got down that low.

Texas has been brutal this year. Anyone up north have a summer rental for next year?

My wifes brother and his wife live in the Waco area and they have told us how hot it has been. Both were born in Michigan and lived in Ohio before moving to Texas. Sure not ready for the weather down there.

Forksref Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 785436)

I have one in ND. In ND, summer means 3 months of bad sledding.

PS - The Honig's lightweight pants are great. We'll use them all year for varsity games.

Texas Aggie Sun Sep 04, 2011 01:15pm

Forks -- winter down here means I only wear shorts 3 times a week instead of 7!

CT1 Sun Sep 04, 2011 01:28pm

We have been wearing the light-weight Smittys, and we like 'em. I particularly like that we can wear regular socks, instead of the calf-cutting old ones.

As far as temperature, I can't tell much difference. They're surely not any hotter than the knickers.

mbyron Sun Sep 04, 2011 02:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forksref (Post 785562)
I have one in ND. In ND, summer means 3 months of bad sledding.

I thought it meant you had just 2 seasons: July 15 and winter. ;)

parepat Mon Sep 05, 2011 02:32pm

I love the knickers. This is the last year in Ohio to wear them, and our crew vowed to use them til the bitter end. VIVI LA KNICKER!

bisonlj Mon Sep 05, 2011 04:07pm

I was pretty hot in the lightweight pants yesterday but it was nearly 100 degrees throughout the game. I don't think it made much of a difference. In the long run I think I will like them. I'm a traditionalist though and I like the knickers.