The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 05, 2011, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

I have loved the pants since we first put them on last season. I am glad knickers are now a thing of the past for us.
Old Mon Sep 05, 2011, 11:16pm
Archaic Power Monger

As soon as I tried on the lightweight pants I was sold and I haven't even had a chance to wear them in a game yet. I'll be a bit nostalgic for a bit but I won't miss the knickers.
Old Tue Sep 06, 2011, 06:25am
Chain of Fools

It has been so nice not to have to come home and spray socks and knickers with Shout or Greased Lightning and immediately throw them in the washer.

I still prefer the Gerry Davis model due to the gripper waist band and the slider adjustments. You can get a perfect fit and your shirt stays put. I have the original Honig's pants so the weather has not yet been foul enough to wear those.

The Smitty's mimic the Honig's with the tunnel belt loops but minus the "H" logo. I was also disappointed to have a hem come loose after the first game and had my dry cleaner go back over both legs. This wasn't the manufacturer's fault but the seller as they come unhemmed.
Old Tue Sep 06, 2011, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Had my Smitty's hemmed locally. No problems.

For years, I've always taken my basketball pants in and had an stitch put in the seat. It's a good idea to do this with the football pants as well.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Sep 06, 2011, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Not True

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-28-181 View Post
In Iowa we can ware them, our crew will not go back to the white knickers. My wife likes them WAY better also.
This is not a fully accurate statement. I spoke to Todd Tharp, Head of Officials in Iowa, before the season and he stated that the black pants are authorized for inclement weather and bad fields. This was also made very clear in the online rules meeting. Therefore, we are only authorized to where the knickers unless the weather/fields are bad.
Old Tue Sep 06, 2011, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
I love the knickers. This is the last year in Ohio to wear them, and our crew vowed to use them til the bitter end. VIVI LA KNICKER!
Skeets, We're just going to have to drag you kicking and screaming into the 21st century, aren't we?
Old Tue Sep 06, 2011, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Wore the heavier "cold weather" version of the Smitty's black pants here in WI on Friday night with short sleeves for a game that started at 7pm and around 73 degrees and light rain at the start....still was not a problem. I think the opening at the leg cuff gives you some breathing and I think they look much better than knickers.

I'd like everyone's take on how much lighter or cooler the warm weather version is than the standard cool/inclement weather model...for those who have both.

We also have permanantly done away with white shorts, now that black shorts are fully accepted (for FR/JV high school games)....thank goodness.
Old Tue Sep 06, 2011, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Heat, the lightweight version vs. the knickers aren't like stepping into an AC building (pants) after being out in the Texas August sun (knickers). I'd say its similar to when I was in school -- I'd get home and take my jeans off and put my shorts on (mild/warm day). Mainly more comfortable and less hot.

For those that still like the knicks, is it the look? The fit? I can sort of understand the former but not the latter.
Old Tue Sep 06, 2011, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
I'd like everyone's take on how much lighter or cooler the warm weather version is than the standard cool/inclement weather model...for those who have both.
The heavier pants are no thicker than the beltless slacks we wear for basketball.

The lighter pants are are almost see through when you hold them up to a light. Very thin material.

I haven't worn the heavier pants prior to October 15th, so it's a bit difficult to compare them. But obviously, the lighter pants are going to be a little cooler in hot weather.

The big thing is both are far more comfortable than the knickers I used to peel off after every game.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Sep 06, 2011, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
I love the knickers. This is the last year in Ohio to wear them, and our crew vowed to use them til the bitter end. VIVI LA KNICKER!
I had heard there was still one crew in Ohio wearing knickers.
Old Tue Sep 06, 2011, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Black Pants

Our crew just started wearing the black pants. They seem cooler and more comfy.

I think we are converted.

Most of all, I will not miss those socks that go with the knicks!
Old Tue Sep 06, 2011, 10:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line_Judge View Post
Most of all, I will not miss those socks that go with the knicks!
This is probably the biggest reason I hated Knickers. Not only did you have to have those socks, you had to have socks that fit. After a while these socks would not always be white and they would not stay up very well. I got tired of always having to pull them up when those socks would get older. No problem with the black pants, I just wear black socks. Life is good.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 06, 2011, 10:59pm
Chain of Fools

Yeah and you don't have to worry about rolling the sock and the knicker leg just so anymore either.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2011, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

My biggest problem with the socks is that I like to wear tights underneath the pants and pulling the socks up is brutal.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2011, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH View Post
I had heard there was still one crew in Ohio wearing knickers.
My crew will wear them all year. Good weather or bad. I'm old school and think the knickers look better.