The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Sometimes you wonder why we do this job.

Fight breaks out at youth football game after player tackles referee | HeraldTribune.com

I didn't see this posted yet. I apologize if it is already here somewhere, but it makes you wonder what is wrong with people today.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 12:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

You beat me too it. I was just about to post this.

This why I tell people to stop doing many of these youth or non-sanctioned leagues. But when you say that the reaction is, "You are trying to be bigger than the game."

Peace
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
I hope no referees stayed and finished that game. They should all get together and just quit the league. Let the parents referee if they want to keep playing. I know I would have walked to my car and drove away.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

This is certainly a good reason why I don't work at this level. Coaches and players all out of control. Why? Over some perceived bad calls.

I think everyone forgets why the games are played. And the young man who tackled the official, his year needs to be over with.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

The article says that the team has been suspended, four individuals have been expelled, and they may expel the entire Gators group.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Video: Referee attacked at youth football game: MyFoxTAMPABAY.com

Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like video wont embed - just follow the link below it, its shown there.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

I hope that the authorities prosecute to the fullest extent of the law. Unfreaking belivable!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
The article says that the team has been suspended, four individuals have been expelled, and they may expel the entire Gators group.
The ones that will plead out to avoid felony assault charges are probably good candidates for expulsion.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 02:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You beat me too it. I was just about to post this.

This why I tell people to stop doing many of these youth or non-sanctioned leagues. But when you say that the reaction is, "You are trying to be bigger than the game."

Peace
I will work some youth football, but I'm very picky. It's only at smaller, rural towns where the teams/parents/coaches are thrilled to have you. I've gone to some other places once only to think to myself "never again."

But in the end, I do these games for one reason only -- the paycheck. I'd be lying if I said otherwise. And, truth be told, I haven't done one of these in 2 years now.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 03:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I will work some youth football, but I'm very picky. It's only at smaller, rural towns where the teams/parents/coaches are thrilled to have you. I've gone to some other places once only to think to myself "never again."

But in the end, I do these games for one reason only -- the paycheck. I'd be lying if I said otherwise. And, truth be told, I haven't done one of these in 2 years now.
I do not realistically think that everyone is going to not work these games. That is silly to even expect that. But I hate it when you tell someone you do not want to work those games is for the money, then you get the self-righteous rants about we have a bigger responsibility to the game.....blah....blah.....blah!!!

Peace
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 05:44pm
Official & ***** Member

Each individual has his own motive for officiating, whether it's youth ball or the NFL.

I've worked games for a very organized youth league for the past 7 or 8 years. We use only HS certified officials, the games are played at HS stadiums with limited field access, and the team officers know that they are subject to severe fines and/or suspensions for any trouble caused by their program during a game.

Fortunately, we've had only one or two incidents during my tenure, and certainly nothing of the scale shown here.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 08:56pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
The official has been doing games for 14 years. The school dept in Sarasota County banned the league from using ANY of its schools' fields. There is a felony assault on officials law here in FL. I hope that any officials in that league refuse to work unless there is law enforcement present. If that video had not surfaced, it would have been almost a "he said, she said" situation. The coaches should get lifetime bans and the kid should not play for a good long while. He may not get charged as an adult, but hopefully, this will stick with him through HS. It is not in FHSAA jurisdiction, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them discuss it.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 09:27pm
Chain of Fools

Just another in the myriad of reasons not to call youth football.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

I coach my son's Featherweight team (11U and below 100#) here in a suburb of Chicago. The crews we see working our league are really good. The guys hustle, make the calls (though we may not agree) and act professionally. I respect the heck out of those guys because they help the next generation of football players and coaches develop.

The video was sent out to all of our coaches yesterday. Every forward included quips like, "I hope the kid gets banned from FHSAA ball when he is ready for it." or "Did you see the guy join the fight while holding an infant in his arms? Disgusting!". Most youth coaches and players get it.