The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   First game EVER on Monday... Advice? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/79577-first-game-ever-monday-advice.html)

jeschmit Sat Aug 27, 2011 07:24am

First game EVER on Monday... Advice?

Hey all. I have my first tackle game ever this upcoming Monday night at back judge. I'm a fill-in this year for a crew as they find a more permanent crew member (I know a lot of them from basketball refereeing). However, I don't want to totally mess up for them, so what basic advice would you have for me working the back judge position? Tips and tricks of the trade would be very helpful!

BktBallRef Sat Aug 27, 2011 08:49am

1-Work between downs. Don't just stand back there. If the ball goes into the side zones, run in, work the triangle and get the ball in.

2 - Know where you're supposed to be no matter the play. Don't let players get behind you.

3- Review Rule 6 and know it inside out.

HLin NC Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:31pm

Ach- BJ! My very first assignment in JV's after I had been working the wing on 4 man middle school crews. I stayed so far back that the WH finally "invited" me to join the rest of the crew:o

I rarely work it now but when I do, I always have the feeling my rear end is hanging out of my shorts for some reason.

Try to talk with experienced BJ's for insight. You won't hear much out there but if there is ever a screw-up, its in the kicking game. Also if you are dealing with passing teams, go over PI scenarios.

Also make sure you and your wingmen are up on your keys and responsibilities for pass plays at/near the sideline.

jTheUmp Mon Aug 29, 2011 02:48pm

Relax and have fun.

If you think you saw a foul... you didn't. Don't throw the flag unless you KNOW you saw a foul.

After the game, identify (either by yourself or ask one of your partners) 1-2 things that you should try to improve upon for next time.

Relax and have fun. (Yes, I'm saying it twice)

Let us know how it goes.

BoBo Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:16am

Keep the whistle out of your mouth!

You do not want IW in your first game.;)

jstewart Sat Sep 03, 2011 08:24pm

Best position on the field. Know rule 6.

Start deep, play deep, don't get beat. The goal line and end line are yours.

Make sure DPI and OPI are big. No cheap interceptions or receptions.

Know your key on scrimmage plays. Read the play.

Watch the punt receiver. You have kick catch interference. Bean bag the end of the kick in the event of a PSK foul.

Know the last play and clock status so you can help the R during foul enforcement.

When the play goes to the sideline or side zones, get there and help out with keeping the players separated.

Help with ball rotation.

Have fun. Good luck.

PA-28-181 Sat Sep 03, 2011 08:46pm

Like others have said, read rule 6 & know it.
Here is a link for the 2011 Aloha Clinic Videos 2011 Aloha Clinic Videos watch them. You will get a lot out of them

buckrog64 Mon Sep 05, 2011 02:39pm

I suggest not blowing your whistle unless you are really covering the play and have the primary call like on a deeper pass or maybe a punt return that doesn't get far from you. If the play is up by the LOS, don't bother with the whistle unless you really need to. I probably don't use mine on 2/3 of the plays during a game. Also, for many crews, the BJ keeps track of timing for 25 seconds along with time outs. Most of all, have fun. It gets in your blood and is almost always fun.

golfdesigner Mon Sep 05, 2011 03:14pm

Not Like Basketball

Remember, football is not like basketball, a foul and a penalty flag doesn't mean blow the whistle and stop the play. You will have plenty of time after the play is over to figure out what happened and what you need to do next. Also good points from previous posters, don't use your whistle unless the action stops right in front of you.

Good luck have fun, and welcome to the fraternity.

footballref Mon Sep 05, 2011 05:25pm

Relax, have fun, and don't blow the whistle if you can't see the ball.

UmpJM Mon Sep 26, 2011 02:35am

jeschmit,

1. Don't suck.

2. Have fun.

(They're related.)

JM

JugglingReferee Mon Sep 26, 2011 03:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 789801)
jeschmit,

1. Don't suck.

2. Have fun.

(They're related.)

JM

The game was 4 weeks ago. :eek:

jeschmit Mon Sep 26, 2011 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 789806)
The game was 4 weeks ago. :eek:

FWIW, the game went really well! I had a lot of fun, and I didn't mess up too much :rolleyes:

However, I have had 6 games since this post... Learned something new in every game I've done so far!

Suudy Mon Sep 26, 2011 04:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeschmit (Post 789974)
FWIW, the game went really well! I had a lot of fun, and I didn't mess up too much :rolleyes:

However, I have had 6 games since this post... Learned something new in every game I've done so far!

Any chocolate whistles yet?