The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Adding Weight to Flag (https://forum.officiating.com/football/78314-adding-weight-flag.html)

MRH Mon Aug 15, 2011 03:10pm

Adding Weight to Flag

I purchased one of Honig's white ball flag a year ago and quickly discovered it is too light.

Has anyone ever added weight to their flag? What material did you use? How much? Any special instructions?

Thanks.

HLin NC Mon Aug 15, 2011 03:40pm

Fishing sinkers, embed them in the existing sand. Available at your friendly neighborhood Walmart fishing & hunting dept.

jTheUmp Mon Aug 15, 2011 03:54pm

Or order some Long Toss Flags

BktBallRef Mon Aug 15, 2011 09:03pm

Better be sure you don't throw an altered flag and injure someone.

BIG UMP Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:26am

Athletic tape will add weight but not create any foreign particulates that might injure a player.

In the past prior to the lawsuit epidemic I did use fishing sinkers.

FTVMartin Wed Aug 17, 2011 08:21pm

A little tape works good. We use black ball flags with the black pants and electrical tape seems to work great. Long toss flags are the best thing out there (especially for backjudges)

tjones1 Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTVMartin (Post 781597)
A little tape works good. We use black ball flags with the black pants and electrical tape seems to work great. Long toss flags are the best thing out there (especially for backjudges)

Agree.

I know several people who use the long toss flags that don't work as backjudge.

jchamp Thu Aug 18, 2011 06:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 781805)
Agree.

I know several people who use the long toss flags that don't work as backjudge.

Count me in that group. I've got scrawny little arms and need all the help I can get to get the flag to the right spot for fouls from the LJ spot.

tow Thu Aug 18, 2011 07:10pm

All one needs is the yard line foul occurred on. Why you need to rifle it 30 yrds?

BktBallRef Thu Aug 18, 2011 08:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tow (Post 781932)
All one needs is the yard line foul occurred on. Why you need to rifle it 30 yrds?

Because as a back judge, you could be 30 yards from the yard line.

JRutledge Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tow (Post 781932)

A BJ might have a hold/clip/BIB near the LOS and they are very far away.

Peace

JugglingReferee Fri Aug 19, 2011 04:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 781967)
A BJ might have a hold/clip/BIB near the LOS and they are very far away.

Peace

If in fact you're flagging an infraction that close to the LS, why do you need to mark the spot of the foul with your flag? You should already know that the foul was (as an example) 1 yard beyond the LS.

InsideTheStripe Fri Aug 19, 2011 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 782033)
If in fact you're flagging an infraction that close to the LS, why do you need to mark the spot of the foul with your flag? You should already know that the foul was (as an example) 1 yard beyond the LS.

Taken to the extreme: Why throw a flag at all? You know what foul occurred and where it occurred.

In a case like this, I launch the flag to the spot/yard-line of the foul, so everyone else knows that a foul occurred and where it took place. The players know, the coaches know, the fans know and my crew-mates know.

I'd rather not be asked, "where?" after I've answered, "what?".

JRutledge Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 782033)

Near the LOS could be more than 5 or 10 yards away compared to where a BJ might be during the play. And if a hold frees a play to go for big yards, the spot matters. And no you may not be totally aware of the exact spot in relationship to the LOS from that perspective.

Peace

InsideTheStripe Sun Aug 21, 2011 01:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 781087)
Better be sure you don't throw an altered flag and injure someone.

Really?!?!? I feel bad for people that live in fear of the legal boogeyman.