The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Uniform for a new official?

Hi All,
I was convinced to become a high school football official this year as our area is running short and I work basketball (played football in college) so they thought I would be a good candidate to help out.......

I am working a scrimmage next week and need to order a uniform so please help me out with what I need and where you guys order from. I am starting with nothing.....

I'd love recommendations on everything (pants, shirts, shoes, jackets, accessories, etc...) as I'd like to place an order sometime tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 09:15am
TODO: creative title here

If you have a local sporting goods store that sells officials gear, that'll be your best bet, since you can try stuff on and whatnot.

Otherwise, Honig's has usually been good to me.

Couple of things to consider:
Buy yourself a sturdy tupperwear-type container to store all of your small items (whistle, flag, bean bags, down indicators, game cards, etc) in.

Get an extra down indicator or two, because if you're like me they'll get lost (I go through about 2-3 per season). Same thing with whistles.

Consider buying both a blue and a white bean bag... some crews use white, some use blue, and you'll want to match up with what everyone else is using.

Black pants: Check with your local people to see if you'll need these eventually or not. (you probably won't for the scrimmage... in these parts at least, we all wear gym shorts at our scrimmages.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post

Consider buying both a blue and a white bean bag... some crews use white, some use blue, and you'll want to match up with what everyone else is using.
Unless you're in a state like Ohio, where blue is required. Otherwise I agree with j.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 11:01am
M.A.S.H.

Remington,

What state are you in? This will help in pinning down some of the details.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 04:07pm
Chain of Fools

You really should run this by your local association- some are still wearing knickers, some are wearing only black pants, some both. Some use white bean bags, some blue. Some require all black shoes, others may not be so strict. Will they be wearing shorts for warm weather- white or black?

Your safest bet is to check with your local folks first.

Honig's is good, Gerry Davis is good, there are many online suppliers. Some offer package deals. Just google football officials supplies, equipment, uniforms, etc.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Couple of things to consider:
Buy yourself a sturdy tupperwear-type container to store all of your small items (whistle, flag, bean bags, down indicators, game cards, etc) in.
I'd be careful with this one. Flags, bean bags, down indicators, and lanyards get wet and retain moisture, especially if you seal them in an air tight container.

Otherwise, HLinNC is correct. You really need to speak with others in your local association to determine what your needs are and to avoid spending $$$ on unneeded items.

I've started using Umpire & Referee Equipment & Uniforms in Louisville. They've never been out of anything I've needed, they ship promptly, and prices are reasonable. I ordered 2 pairs of black pants and a cold weather shirt last Friday. The package was on my door step on Monday and they're a couple of states away.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
I use plastic shoe boxes. One for all the loose stuff and one for hats. They're just the right size and are sturdy enough to last.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. I am in ND so I will need some decent cold weather gear underneath. I have bounced this past some of the guys in my local association, but I get such good info on the basketball forum I thought I'd try you guys as well.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Most companies have starter packages - so look for those in their catalogues and websites. It's a good start. Get the basics now, and start adding to it as you need to. Get a fitted hat (or the new fitted stretch hat), not an adjustable hat. It helps to call their 800 number to order, you'd be amazed at the customer service you can get when talking to them in person.

Oh, and have fun. After 29 years, I can still say this football stuff is a blast!!!!!!!
Old Fri Aug 12, 2011, 08:57am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
Thanks guys. I am in ND so I will need some decent cold weather gear underneath. I have bounced this past some of the guys in my local association, but I get such good info on the basketball forum I thought I'd try you guys as well.
I'd suggest Honig's starter package.

Others mileage may vary.