The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Game Reports (https://forum.officiating.com/football/74185-game-reports.html)

raider Thu Jul 07, 2011 06:15pm

Game Reports

Our association is starting to require game reports of all fouls called during varsity games. The information will be collected electronicaly and a copy made available to coaches on the Monday following their game.

I'm wondering if other associations use something similar and what uses you make of the data.

Thanks!
Raider!

mbyron Thu Jul 07, 2011 07:34pm

Sounds like an association will be calling a lot fewer fouls this season!

SC Ump Thu Jul 07, 2011 08:05pm

We report the fouls in a game report, but I do not know who the information is or is not provided to. We each give our fouls to the HL at end of game and he does the reporting. Some HLs just note the fouls themselves throughout the game.

By the way, now that we are talking about it, we actually just report the penalties, not the declined fouls. At least that is what I do. I wonder if anyone wants the declined ones. I've always assumed not.

Texas Aggie Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:34pm

We've done this in the past and are actually going away from it as a group, but I think I'm going to keep track for my crew. I had a guy the last 2 years who, in my view, would get overly technical in some areas and also rush things -- both led to him throwing more flags. But I didn't really have any documentation.

Jim D. Thu Jul 14, 2011 02:45pm

We did it, but after a year they realized no one was really using the reports. They were mildly interesting, but no one could answer the question "What do you need this for?" Thankfully, they had the wisdom to end it then.

footballref Thu Jul 14, 2011 06:17pm

Who is going to be responsible for doing this? IMO, if it the crew on the field many fouls may not be recorded. Is the association going to send someone with the crew to do this? I guess it is possible for the ECO to do it, if he is provided by your association.

JasonTX Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by footballref (Post 772616)
Who is going to be responsible for doing this? IMO, if it the crew on the field many fouls may not be recorded. Is the association going to send someone with the crew to do this? I guess it is possible for the ECO to do it, if he is provided by your association.

For college we have our alternate keep up with it. In high school, most of our back judges carry a voice recorder and keeps track on that. Then after the game we will play the recorder and fill out the report.

Jim D. Fri Jul 15, 2011 07:42am

The BJ can do it IF the referee gives him time. If you want to seriously tick off a BJ, ask him to record fouls, and then chop it in 2 seconds after the ball is placed at the end of a penalty.

HLin NC Fri Jul 15, 2011 09:55am

I'm sorry but I see no useful application as a HS official. This isn't a full time job and in my area we are not set crews so every Friday I'm going to be working with 4 different guys. While you might get a feeling that maybe you had a lot of holding calls one particular night but come next Friday, you might have one guy with you that you worked the prior week.

The only video we are likely to have is what a particular school sends in to the assignor and its probably just clips of calls they question.

We record major fouls and ejections on our game cards and that's it. This falls under the law of diminishing returns. Its not worth the work IMO.

BIG UMP Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:08pm

I understand college crews being required to do this but I don't believe many HS coaches would use the report. If they had a question about a call they know when it was and will review it and send it in if they see fit.

I don't keep up with mine but I can tell you the time and Qtr if I want to review something for myself.

FTVMartin Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 772763)
The only video we are likely to have is what a particular school sends in to the assignor and its probably just clips of calls they question.

We show up with a couple of blank DVDs and self addressed stamped envelopes. most teams will happily make us a copy of their film for our own training purposes.

HLin NC Sat Jul 16, 2011 08:35am

Quote:

We show up with a couple of blank DVDs and self addressed stamped envelopes.
I do the same. If I get a 50% return rate, I consider it a success. Several schools I've given up on. They're sitting on too many blank DVD's of mine as it is.

The DVD's are mailed back to me and then I copy and send to the rest of the crew. When I have time, I review them and prepare a script on Excel. I will cut clips and post to a private YouTube link and e-mail the link to that game crew. I do a voice over sometimes or just attach the Excel script.
A foul report might be handy but most times the videographer doesn't catch the R's signal nor do they shoot the game time very often.

parepat Tue Jul 19, 2011 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 772988)
I do the same. If I get a 50% return rate, I consider it a success. Several schools I've given up on. They're sitting on too many blank DVD's of mine as it is.

The DVD's are mailed back to me and then I copy and send to the rest of the crew. When I have time, I review them and prepare a script on Excel. I will cut clips and post to a private YouTube link and e-mail the link to that game crew. I do a voice over sometimes or just attach the Excel script.
A foul report might be handy but most times the videographer doesn't catch the R's signal nor do they shoot the game time very often.

Question. What software do you use to cut out clips for a full length DVD?