The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

KWH, you're sure right about that low pay. I always thought we were bad in Michigan.

Good Luck!
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

survey game fees

In Louisiana our officials are broke down in to 3 categories certified , approved , registered . A certified official gets $55.00 a approved gets $45.00 and a registered gets $40.00. The referee get $5.00 dollar more and we use a 5 man crew in every game. JV game ar $20.00 per official plus travel. Travel is .60 a mile and we all travel together so the driver get the travel but he buys the drink for the ride home
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Arkansas has 5 man crews for all levels Jr High (7,8,9) JV and Varsity in all classifications AA-AAAAA (A does not play football).

State Recommended Fees:
JR High, JV - $40 per official
Varsity - $60

Northwest Arkansas usually pays $35 per official on multi-game nights, $40 on single game nights for Jr High and JV. $55 for Varsity. 1 official receives mileage.

With increase of the spread offense in our area we are experimenting with 6 man crews for AAAAA games and the officials split the total game fees 6 ways. Next year we will probably have a school paid 6 man crew on AAAAA Varsity games.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Illinois

I concur with i011763 regarding Illinois using 5 officials for the state series. In the Southwestern portion of the state, a few crews use 6, but most crews try to have five officials the entire year. However, due to the decline in the number of officials (down 396 from 2002 statewide), it is sometimes difficult to have a 5 man crew.

The schools in the St. Louis metro East and south of Interstate 70 vary in compensation. As an athletic association, we have tried to get all the local schools to pay the same, if not across the board, at least within same conference. No luck so far.

Typically a single varsity game is $45.00-$57.00 per man for five man crew. Some AD's, especially those schools with strong playoff histories, will give a 6th offical the same pay, others take the total compensation that would have been paid to a five man crew and divide it up for 6.

Soph/Frosh/JV (maximum 4 man crew):
Individual game $37.50 - $40 per person,
Back-to-back $65.00-$70.00
Eighth Grade/Seventh Grade (3 man crew):
Individual $35.00 - $37.50
Back-to-back $60.00 to $65.00

(AD's tell us that they do not double the amount becuase we are already there, and do not need compensation for driving twice. Advise them that if we left it would cost them the full amount to bring in another crew or not have a game. The arguments so far have always fallen short mainly because our officials' association has not really stood solid on the matter.)

Pee-Wee, Pop Warner, Pony Leagues (3 man crews) - $25.00 - $35.00 a game. Most leagues around here have a mandate that at least two Licensed officials must be officiating the game.

No travel pay in the Southwest Illinois either.

Thanks for posting info. I am making copies to present to our association board for further discussion of how other states compensate teir officials.
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Minnesota:

Minnesota uses a crew of 5 officials for all varsity games with the exception of some 9-Man schools (4 officials). Pay is between $60-$70 per official.

Lower level ball utilizes 3 officials in Soph/JV games and 2-3 officials in Freshmen games($42-$50 per official).

Our back judge was crucial this year with teams that frequently passed the ball. Also one extra pair of eyes to clean up the dead ball crap.
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Having seen responses on another thread, how do most states officials evaluate the performance of their officials? I know in Illinois it is the head coach or Athletic Director of a varsity game worked by the officials. However, we do not know who submitted an evaluation, so that the performance or alleged lack thereof can be discussed with the evaluator, nor are they required to tell what they believe needs to be done for improvement. In addition to school officials, Certified officials (Illinois has three levels of officials Registered, Recognized and Certified, your level along with the coaches' evaluations actually filed determines your playoff possibilities)can evaluate an official one time per season. However, it is rarely done, unless officials on your crew are certified, because typically all officials are working somewhere due to the shortage of officials in Illinois.
I also saw on the other thread where Indiana is also evaluated by officials, but am unaware if the official is made known as to who evaluated them or if know why coach evaluated them (i.e. tips for areas of improvement).
Please respond as this has been as issue the past couple of years as to whether officials in our State are being evaluated fairly and competently, so as to improve their individual and crew performances on the field.

Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Smile pay scale for survey

Indiana--5A--4A--3A--2A--1A

All varsity games $50-$60 each for 5 and 6 man crews..
JV $40-$45 for 4 man crews
Frosh $35-$40 for 4 man crews
JH $35-$40 for 4 man crews

With the players getting bigger and faster, how can you call a game [at any level] without the proper number of officals?The passing game itself is still tough to call with 5 man crews.We may call a game with 300 to 400 fans one night, then the next week we may have up to 10 thousand.You better know what you are going, even with a full crew.Even in High School the game has risen to the highest level.

Old Sun Nov 10, 2002, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Indiana, 5-man crews for all varsity games.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 10:40pm
Small Business Owner

Unhappy Update; but I still need your input!!!

We have had several meetings with coaches, AD's and the OSAA. The OSAA (Oregon School Activities Association) who has the final say has tabled the issue until February. I provided the info I recieved from this discussion board and the NFHS discussion board. The question was asked why I didn't provide all 50 states and IT WAS IMPLIED that I did not include all the states that are using 4 officials and paid less money than Oregon. While there were many things I would like to IMPLY back at the OSAA, it is probably best that I just do my home work and provide them the info they require.

So I am asking again if your state has not responded if you could provide:
A) Number of officials used at highest level of high school football. (Not including playoffs)
B) Pay rate used at highest level of high school football. (Not including playoffs)

A hugh THANK YOU to all who have responded thus far!

I will keep this updated...
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
New York, but can only speak for our section (Section V)

5 man for all varsity games - 61.75

The home team plays 3-4 home games per year, so their expense in having the 5th man is at most ~250 PER YEAR! What's the overall athletic department budget? In the hundreds of thousands? What's the school's overall budget? In the millions? Sheesh, turning on the lights at the damn meeting to discuss it will set them back a comparable amount.

Oh, and .30/mile for travel, but we usually ride together so only one guy gets the mileage. Big money!

Where is Section V?

In Section XI (Suffolk County, Long Island)

Varsity -97
JV - 77
JH - 59.50 plus 20% for 5-period game and 25% for extra quarter to a 4 quarter game

We don't travel more than 50 miles one way.

Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Ed,

How do you guys get that money consistantly from contract to contract? We fight to get $ 1-2 dollars a game! I negotiate the officials contract in Section I (Westchester Co.). Every time we try to get parity with Long Island and they don't go for it. Do your guys have any tips?

Happy Holidays, enjoy the snow.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 01:23pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Interesting. Up here in the Great White North, we use 4 person crews for high school. (R, U, HL, LJ.) Out county finals and provincials finals use 6-person crews.

Keep in mind that our dimentions are 110x65 and 20 yard EZs.

I think it amounts to a 43% bigger field.

Mike