The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jeffsr17
Question

I was wonder on a NFL football game. Does anyone watch the officials during the game to check on calls they made ? Do they get graded on their game? I now there is a lot going on during the game and I respect the job they do but, some calls seem a little strange to me. I have been asking this question for many years but, I never seem to get a answer. Any answer would be nice. Thank you
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffsr17
I was wonder on a NFL football game. Does anyone watch the officials during the game to check on calls they made ? Do they get graded on their game? I now there is a lot going on during the game and I respect the job they do but, some calls seem a little strange to me. I have been asking this question for many years but, I never seem to get a answer. Any answer would be nice. Thank you
An NFL official (Doug Rosenbaum #67) lives in my home town and spoke at one of our officilas meetings. He spoke about the scrutiny NFL officials go through.

Officials in the NFL are graded on EVERY call they make on the field. They are given the grades, "good', "marginal", or "incorrect". These totals are then used to determine playoff games as well as retention of that official.

Their physical fitness is also scrutinized. NFL officials are REQUIRED to be in good physical shape. As a matter of fact, the NFL sends the EKG information to a teacher at Johns Hopskins University for him to read and he has detected things that the officials own private doctor missed. One official immediately went in for triple by-pass surgery and missed the season. Another official was diagnosed with the same condition that killed STL Cardinal's pitcher, Darryl (sp??) Kile.

Not only this, but the officials must tape their games and watch their performance sometime during the following week.
The NFL also sends a tape of all instant replay reviews with voice-over comments as well as a tape of many of the "good calls" and "bad calls" during the past week.

Bottom line: Officials in the NFL are graded much tougher than we will ever realize.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Good call Mike!

Anybody interested in reading about how hard officials work at their craft should pick-up Jerry Markbreit's book "Last Call"...

Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Post Check out this article

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/columns/...irstripes.html
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Post More reading material

http://www.espn.go.com/ncf/s/2002/1023/1449913.html

http://www.espn.go.com/ncf/news/2002/1028/1452210.html

[Edited by BoBo on Oct 29th, 2002 at 03:35 PM]
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jeffsr17
Thumbs up

Mike, I just would like to say a BIG thanks, now I know.
Old Wed Oct 30, 2002, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

"Showing Their Stripes" is one great article for all football officials; a must-read to be sure. As the rookie on my highschool crew, I related to the rookie on Carey's NFL crew.