The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Crazy play in youth game (https://forum.officiating.com/football/60989-crazy-play-youth-game.html)

bossman72 Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:25am

Crazy play in youth game

Found this on youtube. Looks like the officials got it right. Momentum!

YouTube - Make the Call! Where is the proper spot for the ball after this punt?

footballref Sat Jan 22, 2011 01:56pm

Looks like they are going to put the ball in play at the 1 foot line. I don't think I would do that. Nobody in the place is going to know whether possession was gained at the 1 foot line and if not, once the ball crosses the goal line it is a touchback.

InsideTheStripe Sat Jan 22, 2011 09:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by footballref (Post 720365)
Looks like they are going to put the ball in play at the 1 foot line. I don't think I would do that. Nobody in the place is going to know whether possession was gained at the 1 foot line and if not, once the ball crosses the goal line it is a touchback.

+1

I'd have a hard time ruling possession at the 1' line on a play like this. I've got a touchback.

Welpe Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe (Post 720459)
+1

I'd have a hard time ruling possession at the 1' line on a play like this. I've got a touchback.

Agreed. This was close enough IMO to go by philosophy and make this a touchback.

waltjp Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 720472)
Agreed. This was close enough IMO to go by philosophy and make this a touchback.

Wouldn't that be bailing R out from their own bone-headed play?

ljudge Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:10am

I have been told numerious times to always make plays this close a touchback.

HLin NC Sun Jan 23, 2011 02:51pm

Quote:

Wouldn't that be bailing R out from their own bone-headed play?
Its youth ball, Walt. "Bone headed plays" are par.

Robert Goodman Sun Jan 23, 2011 03:01pm

Even from this bad angle it was pretty clear possession was gained about the 1.5 yard line. And it wasn't a boneheaded play for him to reel the ball in with his right hand there, considering that he'd previously touched the ball and was liable to have a player of K recover, not having eyes in back of his helmet to see how close they might be.

BktBallRef Sun Jan 23, 2011 05:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 720707)
Even from this bad angle it was pretty clear possession was gained about the 1.5 yard line.

+1

His knee goes down short of the goal line after he clearly has possession. No problem at all putting this down at the 1 yard line.

bossman72 Mon Jan 24, 2011 01:52am

I love the crowd booing and yelling for a safety! haha!

I would also go with the on-field ruling. I think it's pretty clear, even from the bad angle we have that the runner definitely possessed the ball in the field of play, then his momentum took him into the end zone. I say good call by the officials in this play!

Rich Mon Jan 24, 2011 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 720749)
+1

His knee goes down short of the goal line after he clearly has possession. No problem at all putting this down at the 1 yard line.

I agree with this post. No way am I manufacturing a touchback on *this* play.

STEVED21 Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 721014)
Under which rule would you do that?

Saw the play wrong... post deleted

Welpe Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:36am

Gotcha, removed mine as well. :)

Sonofanump Mon Jan 24, 2011 04:43pm

I think I would put the ball at the 2 yard line.