The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 26, 2002, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Question

This is my second year as a football official. Last night I was working as LJ and had been warned that one of the assistant coaches has a reputation of playing "stump the ump".

Situation: A, visitors, is driving down the field late in 1st half, inside the 20, about to score and go up 28-0. B, home, has been screaming about the tackle moving on every play. What I see is a tackle in a 3-point stance, looking at feet and pointing to his block. This movement causes his hind end to wiggle. This has been going on all night. My crew discussed in pre-game and agreed that this was not motion, therefore not a flag. This particular play the tackle moves more than this, his entire body is moving, and I flag for illegal procedure. I tell my white hat what I got, and he overrules and waves off. (I admit I was keyed in on the tackle because of the comments coming from the coaches) B coach asks what was flagged off, I tell him illegal procedure, he asks why? I say because we didn't have it. His comment was "why'd you throw it"? I ignore the comment and go about my business.

Throughtout the remainder of the game, the head coach is making comments, the usual kind of stuff you hear when a team is getting shelled, all rather stupid, but some were personal. I also call baseball and if a coach said some of these things on a baseball field, I would have ejected him. What I am trying to get to is. . .At what point is enough, enough and do you flag, tell the white hat, eject?

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

"This particular play the tackle moves more than this, his entire body is moving, and I flag for illegal procedure." Don't you mean FALSE START?

"I tell my white hat what I got, and he overrules and waves off." Dumb move by ref.

Bob