The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Punt into the Endzone.... (https://forum.officiating.com/football/6065-punt-into-endzone.html)

Smoke Mon Oct 21, 2002 04:34pm

High School Rules...
I know if a Kickoff goes into the endzone it is a touchback but what about a punt that goes into the endzone. The other night Team R ran the ball out of the endzone up to the 15 to 20 yard line. Correct Call??

jfurdell Mon Oct 21, 2002 04:41pm

No, it should have been a touchback as soon as it crossed the goal line.

SWFLguy Mon Oct 21, 2002 04:54pm

Federation High school rules------

ball crosses the goal line---- dead ball--- touchback !
NCAA--- R can run the ball out of the end zone--
was at college game Saturday and a fan asked me why
it was so in most states for high school-- my guess was
for safety reasons -------
anyone know that for sure ???

Smoke Mon Oct 21, 2002 05:07pm

That is what I thought,but because Team R was offsides it gave Team K a first down, so I forgot about intill later watching it on film it reminded me.

Mike Simonds Mon Oct 21, 2002 05:10pm

Good question.

Not sure about the origin of the rule. Safety reason sounds good to me.

I wanted to make a point about field goals going into R's endzone. Punts and field goals are both scrimmage kicks.

Rules 4-2-2d, 6-3-1, and 8-5-3 covers this. Nonscoring scrimmage kicks become dead when they break the plane of R's goal line.

A field goal attempt falls under the exception. It becomes dead when it has crossed the plane of R's goal line and has failed to score.

I was watching a game recently when the field goal attempt hit the upright and rebounded into the field of play and R advanced it about 35 yards. It should have been blown dead when it hit the cross bar and was rebounding towards the field of play.

The kicking game is where a lot of strange things can happen!

STEVED21 Mon Oct 21, 2002 06:46pm

Smoke, what state are you in? If R was in the neutral zone, the play should have been killed. Encroachment is a dead ball foul. FED does not have offsides.

snrmike Tue Oct 22, 2002 01:16pm

Endzone dude, endzone.

STEVED21 Tue Oct 22, 2002 01:21pm

His second post said R was "offside". That's what my post refers to.

Smoke Tue Oct 22, 2002 05:09pm

Yea I am not sure why they did not stop the play. only after Team R was tackled did they talk about the offsides.

BoBo Wed Oct 23, 2002 02:04pm

momentum? on scrimmage kicks

I agree with the above but do not get in too big of a hurry to blow the play dead. You could always have a momentum ruling on R whether it be a punt or a field goal attempt.

STEVED21 Wed Oct 23, 2002 02:08pm

BoBo,

Where would momentum come into play in this example?

BoBo Fri Oct 25, 2002 10:47am

In the above example momentum does not exist, but the comment of whenever the ball breaks the plane of the goal line it is a touchback can be misleading. We had a green horn one night and he was our back judge. Punt is caught by R at his 2 yard line and his momentum carried him into the endzone. He remembered that when ball crosses plane it is a touch back. Blew whistle and called touch back. Not a good situation.

STEVED21 Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:52pm

The original play was that a KICK croosed the plane. It's always a touchback when a kick crosses the goal line. In your play and for the momentum exception to apply the kick must end by R gaining possession. These two rules are mutually exclusive and should never be confused.