The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Defensive Holding (https://forum.officiating.com/football/59656-defensive-holding.html)

EEE Mon Nov 08, 2010 09:01am

Defensive Holding

A80 is lined up wide on the LJ side and goes down field for a pass. B1 grabs his jersey and holds. The pass goes to the opposite side of the field. Do you call the defensive holding in this case?

Robert Goodman Mon Nov 08, 2010 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EEE (Post 699932)
A80 is lined up wide on the LJ side and goes down field for a pass. B1 grabs his jersey and holds. The pass goes to the opposite side of the field. Do you call the defensive holding in this case?

Sure. The passer might've looked in that direction, or might've gotten a signal from elsewhere that that receiver wasn't open. The only argument for a mere warning would be a case where the pass happened so quickly at the snap that it's obvious the play could not have been to that receiver.

jTheUmp Mon Nov 08, 2010 09:49am

If the hold happens prior to the pass being thrown, the flag will be thrown.

If the hold happens after the pass is thrown, and the pass is obviously away from the hold, then my flag will probably stay in my pocket, unless the contact rises to the level of a personal foul.

Substantial benefit of the doubt, however, will be given in the direction of "throw the flag".

Canned Heat Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 699941)
If the hold happens prior to the pass being thrown, the flag will be thrown.

If the hold happens after the pass is thrown, and the pass is obviously away from the hold, then my flag will probably stay in my pocket, unless the contact rises to the level of a personal foul.

Substantial benefit of the doubt, however, will be given in the direction of "throw the flag".

Agreed. I would have my wing or ump follow up with some sort of dialect with the offender and mention that the same maneuver will be penalized next time. They get a clear signal that you're seeing everything...IMO, and probably will not attempt it again.

EEE Mon Nov 08, 2010 06:44pm

Thanks guys.

Welpe Mon Nov 08, 2010 07:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canned Heat (Post 699946)
Agreed. I would have my wing or ump follow up with some sort of dialect

Sorry, I can't let this one pass...I blame mbyron.

Which dialect? Cajun, New York, Bavarian?

It is a good thing I'm perfect. :o

Canned Heat Tue Nov 09, 2010 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 700043)
Sorry, I can't let this one pass...I blame mbyron.

Which dialect? Cajun, New York, Bavarian?

It is a good thing I'm perfect. :o

I'm half Irish...half German....so something that sounds like you're inebriated.

Dialect: The language peculiar to the members of a group, especially in an occupation;

Hence...whatever terms the guys in my crew felt like telling the young lad.

Thanks for the lesson....now get back to your homeroom class, Mrs. Welpe. :)