The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
In my opinion, this is the definition of being not-too-bright.

We measure the chains every week (using a few 10-yard line differences), but the lines may not be exactly in the right place. If we start at the 20 after a touchback (or on any major yardline) and we come up any distance short of the line on the field, IT'S SHORT. No, coach, we won't measure -- you need to get to the 30 yard line and you're an inch short of that. End of story.

I'd love to see a video of this.
This game was on Fieldturf...line are pretty good there! He was short by almost a yard.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 10:09am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
This game was on Fieldturf...line are pretty good there! He was short by almost a yard.
On Field Turf? Well, then we'd rarely have to measure in a lot of cases.

We'd start each series on a yardline when possible and would use the lines on the field. Even if we're 6 inches short, if I know we have to get to a yardline, I'm not measuring unless we're in a sidezone and I bring the chains out specifically to move the football to the hashmark.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On Field Turf? Well, then we'd rarely have to measure in a lot of cases.

We'd start each series on a yardline when possible and would use the lines on the field. Even if we're 6 inches short, if I know we have to get to a yardline, I'm not measuring unless we're in a sidezone and I bring the chains out specifically to move the football to the hashmark.
Series started with a touchback...ball on the 20 yard line.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 11:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Series started with a touchback...ball on the 20 yard line.
Oh, good gravy.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In my opinion, this is the definition of being not-too-bright.

We measure the chains every week (using a few 10-yard line differences), but the lines may not be exactly in the right place. If we start at the 20 after a touchback (or on any major yardline) and we come up any distance short of the line on the field, IT'S SHORT. No, coach, we won't measure -- you need to get to the 30 yard line and you're an inch short of that. End of story.

I'd love to see a video of this.
I have this Tivo'd yet on my Directv DVR...unless the wife or kids deleted it. I usually have a Thursday night game (I was in Campbellsport that night for a FR game). Not sure if or how you can get it off of there without video taping your TV screen...don't have it hooked up to a CPU. It was WELL short of the 30...even the analysts (using term VERY loosely) were discussing why they would even be measuring. Yowza.

We (my HL and LJ) check the lines versus the yard marks. If there's a discrepancy, we'll figure out whether it is the chains, the paint..or both. I have heard of guys that bring a non-stretch rope that is exactly 360" long. I don't have that.....yet.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh, good gravy.
You know what I meant...
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 03:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
You know what I meant...
I'm not sure. I was referring to the practice of measuring when it's clearly short on the field based on the lines we're given.

(I know I'm repeating myself here....)

I trust the lines. Always. If we start on the 20 after a touchback and the ball is one inch short of the 30, it's short. I *will not measure*. I *will not* move the ball in that situation using the chains, either, because if I bring the chains out that one inch short could be a first down by the chains and that would be a problem.

Using the lines, IMO, is the only way everyone has a consistent frame of reference. The offense knows it needs the 30 and the defense knows it needs to hold the 30.

And since we start every new series (after a kickoff or punt) on a major yard line (actually, we don't, but we sure try to) we use the lines a lot. I'm not going to bring the chains out when we're a foot short so the chains prove the lines are off and we actually have a first down. The defense's coach would have a cardiac and I wouldn't blame him.

Last edited by Rich; Mon Oct 18, 2010 at 03:58pm.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

"good gravy" comments + CANNED heat posts + game in Campbellsport =

?
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
"good gravy" comments + CANNED heat posts + game in Campbellsport =

?
1) I assumed Rich was picking on my choice of words regarding the touchback...and yes, I work plenty of games on turf. I also referenced that the video I saw showed they were well short of the 30. I know guys handle the chains different and I also can show you yard lines that are f-ing terrible...by like a foot. (Algoma, WI two Fridays ago...enter joke CC)

2) Good to see some guys still have a sense of humor.

3) Can't imagine how pissy fits get going on this site between guys. I referenced C-sport for my fellow WI-nites....Do us a favor, call one of the Kennedys and look for the real shooter of JFK if you want a pissin' match or better yet...go debate with some of your locals how Manhattan clam chowder is in NO WAY better than your New England version.....Jesus. Can you redeem those labels for some class....? Thought so.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 10:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
1) I assumed Rich was picking on my choice of words regarding the touchback...
Actually, I wasn't. I have a friend who says "good gravy" and I picked it up for some reason.

I'm down to 4 dates (5 games) left in my season. Where did it all go?
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 11:06pm
Archaic Power Monger

I hear you Rich, football season goes too fast. I lost the last three weeks of my schedule thanks to work so my season essentially ended on Saturday. That was rather abrupt.

Thankfully basketball season is just around the corner.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

And it all started because the terminal did not do what he should, come in and mark the spot on a close situation...I pregame this each game and I am not a yeller at all, but I have been known to raise my voice at a terminal to "COME IN AND MARK IT!"
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1) I assumed Rich was picking on my choice of words regarding the touchback...and yes, I work plenty of games on turf. I also referenced that the video I saw showed they were well short of the 30. I know guys handle the chains different and I also can show you yard lines that are f-ing terrible...by like a foot. (Algoma, WI two Fridays ago...enter joke CC)

3) Can't imagine how pissy fits get going on this site between guys. I referenced C-sport for my fellow WI-nites....Do us a favor, call one of the Kennedys and look for the real shooter of JFK if you want a pissin' match or better yet...go debate with some of your locals how Manhattan clam chowder is in NO WAY better than your New England version.....Jesus. Can you redeem those labels for some class....? Thought so.
wait.....what?

did you think I was trying to start a pissing match with you? or taking a shot at wisconsin or something??

I was goofily pointing out the "hidden theme" of the last couple posts:

gravy...can...campbells

get it? (It's like Password. Or $20,000 Pyramid.)

If you thought that there was a dig at you somewhere in there, trust me, there wasn't!

Add: I suppose it's possible that you're just goofing around, too. In which case:

1. LBJ was obviously the real shooter (it was a body double who got sworn in on the plane).
2. Manhattan Clam Chowder is an abomination. It should be called Tomato and Clam Soup Eaten in a Region Whose Baseball Team is About to Lose the ALCS 4-1.
3. Brewers suck, too

Last edited by chymechowder; Tue Oct 19, 2010 at 11:04am.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

OK, this is just absurd. I've read some idiotic things on this website, but this one takes the cake. I can't see how you can even look at yourself in the mirror. Put away the keyboard and stop posting such drivel. My God.

There is NO debate as to which chowder is better... New England, obviously. Manhattan isn't chowder, it's soup.

Good grief!!!

( )

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 22, 2010, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
CANADIAN RULING:

At minimum, 10 yards for OC. My preference is the 0-yard DQ.
Bingo. Did this exact thing last week....coach watched from the parking lot and there was no penalty to his team...he just needed to be not there anymore.

The rest of us sane coaches, players and officials went on and finished a real fine game too....my only regret is that I shoulda done it sooner.