The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Multiple Dead Ball Personal Fouls (https://forum.officiating.com/football/59261-multiple-dead-ball-personal-fouls.html)

john_faz Mon Oct 04, 2010 08:14am

Multiple Dead Ball Personal Fouls

Can you enforce more than one dead ball personal fouls against a Team? For example, A71 and A78 take cheap shots after the whistle and are both flagged. Can you march off 30 yards against Team A?

JugglingReferee Mon Oct 04, 2010 08:17am

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Originally Posted by john_faz (Post 694780)
Can you enforce more than one dead ball personal fouls against a Team? For example, A71 and A78 take cheap shots after the whistle and are both flagged. Can you march off 30 yards against Team A?

CANADIAN RULING:

Yes! Enforcing just 1 foul seems to me that other actions can go unpunished.

HLin NC Mon Oct 04, 2010 08:26am

Yep

MRH Mon Oct 04, 2010 09:05am

ALL dead ball fouls are enforced, in the order of occurence.

MD Longhorn Mon Oct 04, 2010 09:47am

Agreed - when order of occurence can be determined, walk them all off, even if you look silly. You could have USC on A, then B, then A, starting at A's 20. First foul takes you to the 10 (HTD), B's foul takes you to the 25. A's foul then takes you to the 12.5. While A, A, B would leave you at the 20, and B, A, A would leave you at teh 10.

Welpe Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 694808)
Agreed - when order of occurence can be determined, walk them all off, even if you look silly. You could have USC on A, then B, then A, starting at A's 20. First foul takes you to the 10 (HTD), B's foul takes you to the 25. A's foul then takes you to the 12.5. While A, A, B would leave you at the 20, and B, A, A would leave you at teh 10.

Not a problem for us (you and me). They just all offset in NCAA.

Rich Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 694827)
Not a problem for us (you and me). They just all offset in NCAA.

As they should in NFHS, too.

john_faz Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:15pm

Are you saying that with NCAA rules any number of deadballl fouls on Team A offset any number of Team B personal fouls? So if A had 3 flags for fighting (late hit, etc.) and Team B had 2, the fouls would offest and no yardage would be marked off?

wwcfoa43 Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:39pm

I believe the NFL only allows at most one foul to be enforced. So in the NFL if you have 11 dead ball fouls on Team A and 1 on Team B, they would offset.

Welpe Mon Oct 04, 2010 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by john_faz (Post 694848)
Are you saying that with NCAA rules any number of deadballl fouls on Team A offset any number of Team B personal fouls? So if A had 3 flags for fighting (late hit, etc.) and Team B had 2, the fouls would offest and no yardage would be marked off?

Essentially, yes, though only for USC and DB personal fouls.

Here is the actual rule reference:

10-1-5

ARTICLE 5. Penalties for dead-ball fouls are administered separately and in
order of occurrence (A.R. 10-1-5-I-VI) [Exception: When unsportsmanlike
or dead-ball personal fouls by both teams are reported to the referee and
before any of the penalties have been completed, the fouls offset, the
number or type of down established before the fouls occurred is unaffected,
and the penalties are canceled, except that any disqualified player must
leave the game (Rules 5-2-6 and 10-2-2-a)].