The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   3rd and 60! (https://forum.officiating.com/football/59256-3rd-60-a.html)

grunewar Mon Oct 04, 2010 05:46am

3rd and 60!

Local HS game Friday night.

A has a first down on B's 20 and going in. TWEET, holding penalty on A. 1st and 20. Ball now on the 30.

Next play, A is in shotgun. A's center snaps the ball over the QB's head. Mad scramble. Ball is now set at B's 49. 2nd and 39!! Nice! :o

Next play, A is in shotgun. The center AGAIN snaps the ball over the QB's head! :eek: QB gets to this one, tries to recover and double back. WHAM! Ball is now at his own 30. 3rd and 60!

A Coach then called a run for a gain of 3. PUNT! And, it was a good snap to the punter seeing how the center was apparently snapping for punts when he tried the shotgun snaps to the QB anyhow! :rolleyes:

Anyone have a nice, long, down and distance like this before?

JugglingReferee Mon Oct 04, 2010 08:16am

Anything past 30 or 35, our PAAs use "area code" or "postal code". :p

MD Longhorn Mon Oct 04, 2010 09:49am

Miami vs Texas in the Cotton Bowl had a 3rd and 55 - AND CONVERTED IT. Jerks. :) (3 USC's on 2nd down)

Worst I ever had was peewee - something like 2nd and 70 after a kid got scared of the tacklers and ran the wrong way, ALMOST getting a safety. Still not sure why the B kid tackled him before he reached the EZ - but they were 8 or 9 year olds, so go figure.

mbyron Mon Oct 04, 2010 09:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 694809)
Still not sure why the B kid tackled him before he reached the EZ - but they were 8 or 9 year olds, so go figure.

Oh, that's easy: to boost his tackle stats! :D

grunewar Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:28am

Bwahahaha!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 694809)
Worst I ever had was peewee - something like 2nd and 70 after a kid got scared of the tacklers and ran the wrong way, ALMOST getting a safety. Still not sure why the B kid tackled him before he reached the EZ - but they were 8 or 9 year olds, so go figure.

OK, this is OT for the OT, but mb - you reminded me of this.

My sister-in-law told me she was at a youth baseball game (probably sub-8 yr olds). These particular fields sit head to head....so, the first base line of Field A leads right into the third-base line for Field B.

Apparently, a little boy hit the ball into left field and just kept running.....right past first base and onto the next field toward third - he hadn't mastered rounding the bases. He may have even scored (ruling?) if he wasn't tracked down by a coach who ran after him! :p Classic.

Robert Goodman Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:53pm

That's nothing, I just saw video of a double field goal: football thru the posts and then swishing thru the basket in the adjacent court where kids were playing basketball.

mbyron Mon Oct 04, 2010 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 694855)
That's nothing, I just saw video of a double field goal: football thru the posts and then swishing thru the basket in the adjacent court where kids were playing basketball.

Couldn't be double: the ball became dead after passing through the uprights. :D