The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Jack Del Rio - NFL Officials Should Use Common Sense (https://forum.officiating.com/football/59084-jack-del-rio-nfl-officials-should-use-common-sense.html)

grunewar Tue Sep 14, 2010 09:54am

Jack Del Rio - NFL Officials Should Use Common Sense

Jack Del Rio: NFL officials need to use more 'common sense' - The Huddle: Football News from the NFL - USATODAY.com

MD Longhorn Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:01am

Is it possible he's half right?

Personally, the notion that the refs should throw out the book and use common sense instead is flat out stupid... everyone's "common sense" differs - asking for this is asking for anarchy.

I do believe the rule on the catch seems to defy common sense, but the rule is the rule. Go complain to the rules committee if you want.

However, I've thought the NFL celebration rules have been progressively more insane each year and nearly every year. They need to simplify. Either get rid of it a la NCAA ... or allow anything that is not directly taunting the opponents or delaying the game. This "can't use a prop", "can't touch the ground" stuff is ludicrous.

HLin NC Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:23am

Quote:

I'd like to see a little common sense injected into the officiating, allow our referees to use judgment.
And then when judgement comes back to bite him on the @$$, he'll be screaming that the official used poor judgment.

The NFL has it like they need it to be-its hard but its fair as an old coach of mine used to say.

This too, shall pass-another saying from an old co-worker.

Mike L Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:24am

How about the players/coaches showing some common sense by not doing stupid stuff to cause the problems in the first place?

bisonlj Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:34am

You can thank instant replay for making this rule too technical and removing a lot of the common sense and judgment.

JRutledge Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:44am

I love the common sense part of this. Yes they should use common sense like they did before and coaches complained they were not getting the right calls. Rules are there because the rules before did not work. If you allow officials to decide what is or is not based on "common sense" and not some hard fast rules or judgments (which also must be stated has been reviewed visually in the NFL as well) then you will not have consistency which coaches claim they want the most. They cannot have it both ways.

Peace

cdoug Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 692214)
I love the common sense part of this. Yes they should use common sense like they did before and coaches complained they were not getting the right calls. Rules are there because the rules before did not work. If you allow officials to decide what is or is not based on "common sense" and not some hard fast rules or judgments (which also must be stated has been reviewed visually in the NFL as well) then you will not have consistency which coaches claim they want the most. They cannot have it both ways.

Peace

Not to mention that the coaches are the ones that help come up with the rules, I believe. :eek:

JRutledge Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdoug (Post 692217)
Not to mention that the coaches are the ones that help come up with the rules, I believe. :eek:

Yes they do especially in the NFL. If they do not like the rule they can change it. But do not be surprised when the next controversy is about what they came up with.

Peace

movingthechains Wed Sep 15, 2010 03:04am

Im glad Osgood scored in his first game in JAX, I know him personally and we miss him in San Diego already, as for the rule not going to the ground to celebrate that is retarded but the officials enforced the rule properly

RadioBlue Wed Sep 15, 2010 08:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 692211)
you can thank instant replay for making this rule too technical and removing a lot of the common sense and judgment.

+1

JugglingReferee Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:55am

Jack Del Rio clearly didn't use common sense when he said that officials should use common sense.