The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 16, 2010, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Then why to officials put their flags in their front or side belt? That is the same reasoning too isn't it?

I do not think anyone said it was a game changer or something that is a career issue. But we do a lot of things as officials that are about procedure more than it is practicality. Heck why do we shine our shoe or why to officials cover any sign of other colors on their shoes but the black parts?

Peace
I've worn mine in front...toward my right side in front of my hip as long as I can remember. As an Ump most Fridays and Ref all other times, it's easy to grab and go...and it goes nowhere..as in doesn't fall out. Nothing to do with hiding it. I think it looks better. I know guys who've taken some jabs for hiding their flags so well it was to the point the coaching staffs wonder that you may not be throwing it because you don't have it. For me, it's easy to find without thinking about it and it's become second nature. We've all seen guys in other crews or guys we've worked with that pull the back pocket hanky and then have the rabbit ear on their rear for awhile or have a heck of a time getting it out of there, which looks amusing to most. My bean bag goes thru my belt on my left in front of the hip. I use the longer, thin blue NFL-type model.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2010, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
I have black-ended for our pants and white-ended for our knickers, but keeping the white ended ones white is a battle of fruition. I do like the fact that it does get hidden a little bit. I'm with Rich on this...If I pull it...it's almost certainly going down. However...Anyone who tells you they've never reached and then backed off of a flag throw is either lying or is in their first year.

I do like the fact that the flags can be hidden to a certain degree. If you're wearing flags, bags, a Ready-Ref timer and a towel...you start to look like you're wearing Bat Man's utility belt out there.
Why wouldn't you use the black flags with your white pants also? The black flags blends in with your black belt not your white pants (3 inches below your belt).
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Why wouldn't you use the black flags with your white pants also? The black flags blends in with your black belt not your white pants (3 inches below your belt).
I don't leave enough to hang over my belt...just the ball protrudes out the top, and the entire tail section of the flag is stuffed down the front of my shorts/knicks/pants.

Could probably use either, you're right....or just go yellow. I can't handle any more verbal fist-fighting on here. :^)
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

When I first started we had a engineer on our crew who had all these eletrical tape colors & we all taped out game flags white. Sure everyone knows we have flags but life is about perception. When you come out there double barrelled first time you throw a flag for anything they are going to think "oh look at this guy". Not seeing them gives a better perception. If you don't think so, do it your way. I like the white electrical tape & I put the black tape on my lower level flag 6 years ago & now with the black pants Honigs come out with the black tipped flag. Do what you want, you always will, but there is a science to the madness
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Just got a black one today from a supply house....

Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 03:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Just got a black one today from a supply house....

The look is fine, but the main reason I use electrical tape is the weighting. None of the flags sold by the supply houses have enough weight in the ball -- especially if you need to throw your flag 15 yards or more.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

I've not had a distance issue since my flag "broke in". One of my games this year as a LJ, I threw the flag for a holding after my U had turned to follow the play and it went right past his ear and landed past middle field. There was a little tail wind but not more than 10 mph. BTW, I did over-throw the spot.

On a still day, I can get about 25 yards on a good throw. If had the weighted one, I could maybe call fouls on my HL's side of the field like coaches want me to!
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The look is fine, but the main reason I use electrical tape is the weighting. None of the flags sold by the supply houses have enough weight in the ball -- especially if you need to throw your flag 15 yards or more.
Rich...you seriously should see this thing. It's far heavier on the end than any of the other flags I have/had....the weight feels like pellets more than soft sand like some seem to be.

Check your messages in a bit.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Is it more or less conspicuous than the white capped flag? I need a new flag and am curious. I also never had a problem with the weight in any of my flags.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppaltice View Post
Is it more or less conspicuous than the white capped flag? I need a new flag and am curious. I also never had a problem with the weight in any of my flags.
I have one that I used to use....and my ump uses the same one currently, but the ball end is very, very light and feels like there's sand in it. That one is by far, lighter than this one. I don't know, maybe it's lost weight over time. This is a pic of me working a few weeks ago.....not looking too sharp with how my flags hang out....I can't imagine the black one wouldn't be less noticeable. And yes...that shirt has been retired, too.

For everyone's entertainment and "research purposes", at some point in the next day or two, I will weigh each of my flags on our digital scale here at work and post the results......I should probably get back to work.

Last edited by Canned Heat; Thu Nov 04, 2010 at 08:24am.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 08:48am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
not looking too sharp with how my flags hang out...
I think it looks fine. It is no surprise to anyone that we have them. Just my $0.02.

I like the grey collar... I bet that shirt still has some life as a foul weather shirt though.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I think it looks fine. It is no surprise to anyone that we have them. Just my $0.02.

I like the grey collar... I bet that shirt still has some life as a foul weather shirt though.
It does....but I have had that for quite some time. Not a big fan of wearing a coat, and we were awarded the AAYFL Youth Championship this weekend in WI...so I'd like to look a bit more sharp. Another on field pic from that same weekend in the playoffs, the collar looks like hell, even from the press box. I have to admit, I am a solid proponent of any collar that doesn't scream Elvis or Wayne Newton. There are some new shirts now with collars that aren't quite as large and don't look like a hand me down from Mason "Red" Cashion....but to each his own.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to stevegarbs Send a message via AIM to stevegarbs Send a message via Yahoo to stevegarbs
Oh good grief

This might be the silliest conversation on here since the A11 debates. The Honig's long toss flag (F71L) is my flag of choice as it is very heavy- easy to throw 20+ yards as necessary for those spot fouls.

Tape, don't tape, hide, don't hide, let's get back to some more helpful sharing of information!
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegarbs View Post
This might be the silliest conversation on here since the A11 debates. The Honig's long toss flag (F71L) is my flag of choice as it is very heavy- easy to throw 20+ yards as necessary for those spot fouls.
Had a partner with one of those once. Boy, when a facemask or personal foul made you mad, you could sure take it out on the offender with this flag. Like getting hit with a bag of ball bearings! He threw it straight up on a foul at the snap once and took it on the head - and we never saw it again.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 03:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegarbs View Post

Tape, don't tape, hide, don't hide, let's get back to some more helpful sharing of information!
If you don't like it, there are ways to ignore the thread. Or users. Or maybe you could just ignore it and remember we're not here to meet your demands.

And some sharing you've done. 23 posts in 9 years. Don't strain yourself.