The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Line of Scrimmage Rules? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/58997-line-scrimmage-rules.html)

Official Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:24am

Line of Scrimmage Rules?

I'm a starting official and I know some of the basics rules. I'm wanting to find out more about the line of scrimmage. I know you must have atleast 7 or more men on the line of scrimmage. What all rules are out there? Thanks in advance.

tjones1 Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:48am

7-1 and 7-2 is a start.

JRutledge Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:48am

What you just described was not LOS rules, but formation rules. I think it is better if you start off with Rule 2 and work your way through the rules with that rule as the starting point. It would take too long to cover every situation you might be looking for without leaving something you. Or ask a more specific question about something involving a play that would be better.

Hope that helps some.

Peace

Official Thu Sep 02, 2010 01:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 690962)
What you just described was not LOS rules, but formation rules. I think it is better if you start off with Rule 2 and work your way through the rules with that rule as the starting point. It would take too long to cover every situation you might be looking for without leaving something you. Or ask a more specific question about something involving a play that would be better.

Hope that helps some.

Peace

So if more than 7 guys are on the line of scrimmage only the 2 outside guys on the line are eligible to catch a pass. Is this correct?

JRutledge Thu Sep 02, 2010 02:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Official (Post 690963)
So if more than 7 guys are on the line of scrimmage only the 2 outside guys on the line are eligible to catch a pass. Is this correct?

Yes if they have an eligible number.

Peace

Robert Goodman Thu Sep 02, 2010 09:17am

In all major codes, team A's line of scrimmage is the vertical plane parallel to the end lines and passing thru the point of the ball as RFP closest to team A's end line. In all American codes, team B's LOS is likewise for their point of the ball; in Canadian football it's 1 yard behind there. The neutral zone is the space between those planes.

However, a player can be "on" his team's line of scrimmage without literally touching that plane. In all major American codes now to be "on" it for team A, you need to have some part of your head (or helmet) beyond the vertical plane parallel to the end lines and passing through the waist of the snapper, and to face approximately forward (i.e. perpendicularly toward the opponent's end line) as judged by the shoulders. (Notice that the snapper merely by touching the ball and facing forward will have his head past the plane of his own waist.) The various codes have little differences regarding the add'l requirement of whether you can lock legs or in some way overlap with other players on the line. The codes also have slight differences regarding team B players being on their LOS.

tjones1 Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:29am

Official:

This is a pretty good thread on eligible/ineligible recievers.

http://forum.officiating.com/footbal...recievers.html

Official Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:35pm

So basically the way I understand it. You can have seven or more guys on the line. To be an eligible receiver you can't have a number 50-70. The two outside receivers on the line are eligible. Anyone on the line inside the two ends are ineligible. What about this formation. I would say WR4 is elible since he's on the end. WR1 is eligible since he's on the end of the line. WR3 is eligible since he's of the line. I'm confused about WR2 and TE1 can somebody explain their status?

WR4----------OOOOOTE1---WR2------WR1
-----------------O--------------WR3

Rob S Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:08am

Well, you basically answered your own question. "Anyone on the line inside the two ends are ineligible." TE1 and WR2 are inelegible in this formation. Typically they'd both line up as backs so you'll have 7 on the line and 4 in the backfield resulting in 6 elegibles. In this case, the offense is reducing their number of eligibles to 4.

Official Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:12am

oh okay. so only 1 guy on the line on each side of the qb is eligbile then?

JRutledge Mon Sep 06, 2010 04:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Official (Post 691227)

If the number is eligible.

Peace

bisonlj Mon Sep 06, 2010 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Official (Post 691227)

The location of the QB is irrelevant. Replace "QB" with "line" and you are correct. Also, any backs are eligible. And all of this assumes they have an eligible number. Players are eligible by number and position.

Also note it's possible for the snapper to be eligible if he's on the end of the line and wearing an eligible number.

Official Mon Sep 06, 2010 02:14pm

probably a dumb question. but to be on the line you have to have some body part on or near the line? - a foot, or hand? what if a linemans hand is off the line but his helmet is near the line?

With_Two_Flakes Mon Sep 06, 2010 03:26pm

Dude - you really need to get reading Rule 2.

I dont do High School much, but pretty sure your question will be answered in Rule 2-33 (or nearby) which contains the definition of a lineman.

Official Mon Sep 06, 2010 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes (Post 691290)
Dude - you really need to get reading Rule 2.

I dont do High School much, but pretty sure your question will be answered in Rule 2-33 (or nearby) which contains the definition of a lineman.

I don't have a rulebook. How do I get access to one?

JRutledge Mon Sep 06, 2010 04:16pm

Go to the National Federation website and order a Rulebook, Casebook and Simplified & Illustrated Rulebook. You are asking so many basic rules and do not know the other factests to the rules you will just get confused by what we say or get the rule wrong not realizing other rules.

I think you need to start there and then ask us questions. Nothing wrong with questions but I am afraid your lack of knowledge you do not understand the answers we are giving you.

Peace

HLin NC Mon Sep 06, 2010 04:41pm

Quote:

My spider senses are tingling!

Official Mon Sep 06, 2010 04:58pm

lets not confuse ourselfs. I've already learned a lot here in my short time. I'm understanding the well-explained answers. May be my question wasn't clear enough. I understand eligibilty of receivers. I'm wanting to know if you have to have a body part physically touching the line to be considered "on the line". I'm borrowing a rule book by the way and will read it cover to cover and ask more questions after that. I've got out on the playing field a couple times and reffed and learned loads out there. I'm just soaking up knowledge anyway I can in the mean time.

JRutledge Mon Sep 06, 2010 05:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Official (Post 691297)
lets not confuse ourselfs. I've already learned a lot here in my short time. I'm understanding the well-explained answers. May be my question wasn't clear enough. I understand eligibilty of receivers. I'm wanting to know if you have to have a body part physically touching the line to be considered "on the line". I'm borrowing a rule book by the way and will read it cover to cover and ask more questions after that. I've got out on the playing field a couple times and reffed and learned loads out there. I'm just soaking up knowledge anyway I can in the mean time.

If you read the rulebook cover to cover, then you would know what the definition of being on the line of scrimmage is as there is no such reference to touching the line. And if you are having a hard time visualizing the words, that is why you get the Simplified and Illustrated book so you can physically see examples of what the rules are saying and what they mean. And your questions are so elementary that something must not be sinking in yet if these are the nature of the questions you are asking. We have all been there and which is why these other tools I am suggesting might help you in the long run.

Peace

Official Mon Sep 06, 2010 05:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 691298)
If you read the rulebook cover to cover, then you would know what the definition of being on the line of scrimmage is as there is no such reference to touching the line. And if you are having a hard time visualizing the words, that is why you get the Simplified and Illustrated book so you can physically see examples of what the rules are saying and what they mean. And your questions are so elementary that something must not be sinking in yet if these are the nature of the questions you are asking. We have all been there and which is why these other tools I am suggesting might help you in the long run.

Peace

I have not yet read the rule book. Would you like to direct me to the simplified and illustrated book on nfhs website. I can't seem to find it. Thank You.

JRutledge Mon Sep 06, 2010 05:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Official (Post 691299)
I have not yet read the rule book. Would you like to direct me to the simplified and illustrated book on nfhs website. I can't seem to find it. Thank You.

National Federation of State High School Associations - Football

And I would recommend the Rules by Topic book as the information puts the Rules and Casebook plays together. Good resource.

Peace

Official Mon Sep 06, 2010 05:46pm

$10 for shipping - :/

jemiller Mon Sep 06, 2010 05:52pm

check with your local officials association. If you are just interested they might be able to get you some books from last year. If you are a registered official, part of your registration should get you your books. Talk to another FB official, they should have some old books to get you started. Local FB coach too.

Official Mon Sep 06, 2010 06:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemiller (Post 691303)
check with your local officials association. If you are just interested they might be able to get you some books from last year. If you are a registered official, part of your registration should get you your books. Talk to another FB official, they should have some old books to get you started. Local FB coach too.

unfortunately I didn't register this year. I didn't realize registering would get me books. I guess next year I'll have a couple sets.

Official Mon Sep 06, 2010 06:07pm

So I'm getting the Rules by Topic book and the simplified and illustrated book. Shipping is $10 so is there another book I should throw in? If I want to order something later I'll have to pay shipping again. Might as well do it right the first time.

BroKen62 Mon Sep 06, 2010 06:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Official (Post 691291)

I don't know about you guys, but I smell a RAT!

Official Mon Sep 06, 2010 06:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroKen62 (Post 691307)
I don't know about you guys, but I smell a RAT!

explain yourself!!! I didn't know where to the get the rulebook?

BroKen62 Mon Sep 06, 2010 06:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Official (Post 691309)
explain yourself!!!

Your questions are too . . .well, questionable. :confused:
You happen to know about the numbers on the clip, but you have no idea how the chains work?
These questions about the LOS are questions my wife could answer, and she's never played or officiated.
You claim you are a new official, but you are not registered? C'mon, dude!

Official Mon Sep 06, 2010 06:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroKen62 (Post 691310)
What happened to the coin toss thread you posted last week?

I'm learning. I've been making a lot of threads - so I deleted the coin toss one. Hopefully keeping the board clear of better discussion :rolleyes:

BroKen62 Mon Sep 06, 2010 06:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Official (Post 691312)
I'm learning. I've been making a lot of threads - so I deleted the coin toss one. Hopefully keeping the board clear of better discussion :rolleyes:

How thoughtful of you.:rolleyes:

Official Mon Sep 06, 2010 06:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroKen62 (Post 691310)
You happen to know about the numbers on the clip, but you have no idea how the chains work?
These questions about the LOS are questions my wife could answer, and she's never played or officiated.
You claim you are a new official, but you are not registered? C'mon, dude!

If you aren't doing varsity you don't need to be registered.

JRutledge Mon Sep 06, 2010 06:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Official (Post 691318)
If you aren't doing varsity you don't need to be registered.

What state or jurisdiction is that?

Peace

Official Mon Sep 06, 2010 06:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 691319)

Peace

kansas - btw JRutledge do you recommend any more books I get than those 2? I could get another since I'll have to pay for shipping if I want another later on. Thanks

JRutledge Mon Sep 06, 2010 06:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Official (Post 691321)
kansas - btw JRutledge do you recommend any more books I get than those 2? I could get another since I'll have to pay for shipping if I want another later on. Thanks

How do you get to work varsity if you have never read or studied the rulebooks? I would think that would be apart of your association or state license. Never heard that or remember hearing that. Maybe you need to join a local official's association because a lot of these things should be covered in meetings and trainings I would think.

I recommended 4 books for you already. I guess you could get a Handbook. This usually gives a more in-depth description of certain rules and the history of why a rule was changed or how it should be called.

Peace

Official Mon Sep 06, 2010 07:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 691322)
How do you get to work varsity if you have never read or studied the rulebooks? I would think that would be apart of your association or state license. Never heard that or remember hearing that. Maybe you need to join a local official's association because a lot of these things should be covered in meetings and trainings I would think.

I recommended 4 books for you already. I guess you could get a Handbook. This usually gives a more in-depth description of certain rules and the history of why a rule was changed or how it should be called.

Peace

I said if "You aren't doing varsity games you don't need to be registered" I thought you recommended to me 2 books?

JRutledge Mon Sep 06, 2010 07:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Official (Post 691323)
I thought you recommended to me 2 books?

Look below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 691293)
Go to the National Federation website and order a Rulebook, Casebook and Simplified & Illustrated Rulebook. You are asking so many basic rules and do not know the other facets to the rules you will just get confused by what we say or get the rule wrong not realizing other rules.

Three books.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 691300)
National Federation of State High School Associations - Football

And I would recommend the Rules by Topic book as the information puts the Rules and Casebook plays together. Good resource.

One book. That would be four together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Official (Post 691323)
I said if "You aren't doing varsity games you don't need to be registered"

Here is why that is hard to understand. Why would someone give you varsity if you have never been trained in that sport? And that would be very unusual across the country as you have to be registered, licensed or have some association with some organization to just work any high school level game. And we have had people here over the years from Kansas, never heard that one before.

Can someone from Kansas shed some light on this?

Peace

HLin NC Mon Sep 06, 2010 07:44pm

http://www.daiwasports.co.uk/media/c...otors-3751.jpg

HLin NC Mon Sep 06, 2010 07:45pm

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/r...Feb11_0005.jpg

Robert Goodman Mon Sep 06, 2010 07:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Official (Post 691284)
probably a dumb question. but to be on the line you have to have some body part on or near the line? - a foot, or hand? what if a linemans hand is off the line but his helmet is near the line?

Didn't you read my explanation above?

Robert Goodman Mon Sep 06, 2010 08:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 691319)

The organiz'ns that publish the rules have no control over what organiz'ns use their rules. Those organiz'ns don't have to be affiliated with them. The League of Mutt & Jeff could use Fed rules without requiring officials to register with anybody.

JRutledge Mon Sep 06, 2010 09:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 691333)
The organiz'ns that publish the rules have no control over what organiz'ns use their rules. Those organiz'ns don't have to be affiliated with them. The League of Mutt & Jeff could use Fed rules without requiring officials to register with anybody.

I am fully aware of the first part of your comments. I was not even thinking there was a requirement by the NF and know there is no such requirement in the first place. I am very aware of how member states have their relationship with the NF as our state has gone through a recent transition from one level of membership to another. That was not what I was asking at all. I am surprised that you can work a high school game and the state does not provide the opportunity to have rulebooks and other training material to work high school games or to have a license. Most places if you want to work for the high school association you have to pay dues and they give you books or the opportunity to buy books. This guy claims he has no access (or knowledge) to that and this is why I found that odd. Even if you do not have to belong to an association, you likely have some avenue to purchase these books. The rulebooks and casebook come with our dues and we have to pass a test every year. I am not saying that is not the case in Kansas, but never heard that. And I found it odd that the requirement is if you are working varsity. Then what if they need a fill in and you are available, you cannot work. I am not like others I am not calling this BS just because it is farfetched, just found it odd that is all.

Peace

Official Mon Sep 06, 2010 09:21pm

jrutledge I am not registered therefore I can't do hs varsity games. i did get some rulebooks for free though. so i'll read those. and sorry robert goodman i completely missed your post somehow. I went back and read it - THANK YOU. someone answered my question. good day all.

JRutledge Mon Sep 06, 2010 09:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Official (Post 691337)
jrutledge I am not registered therefore I can't do hs varsity games. i did get some rulebooks for free though. so i'll read those.

You can do high school games but not varsity?

Peace

Official Mon Sep 06, 2010 09:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 691340)

Peace

junior varsity

waltjp Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by official (Post 691220)
to be an eligible receiver you can't have a number 50-70.

50-79

Official Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:01pm

typo

Official Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:55am

which do i read first? football - rules by topic. football case book. football rules book. football officials manual?

JRutledge Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Official (Post 691348)
which do i read first? football - rules by topic. football case book. football rules book. football officials manual?

All of them.

Peace

parepat Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:29am

Can't apply the rules (case book) until you lear them (rule book). My advice is take a rule and study it. Then, go to the case book to prove to yourself how very little you learned. Rinse and repeat.

mbyron Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Official (Post 691348)

The rules by topic book is a collation of the rule book and case book around common topics (hence the title). In some ways it's a more straightforward trip through the entire rule book than rule 1 to rule 10.

It's what I use to review the rules before each season.

Eastshire Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 691340)

Peace

I moved out of Kansas 3 years ago, but to the best of my knowledge registered officials are required for all KSHSAA member contests regardless of level.

There is almost certainly shenanigans of one sort or another here.

Robert Goodman Tue Sep 07, 2010 04:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 691335)
I am fully aware of the first part of your comments. I was not even thinking there was a requirement by the NF and know there is no such requirement in the first place. I am very aware of how member states have their relationship with the NF as our state has gone through a recent transition from one level of membership to another. That was not what I was asking at all. I am surprised that you can work a high school game and the state does not provide the opportunity to have rulebooks and other training material to work high school games or to have a license. Most places if you want to work for the high school association you have to pay dues and they give you books or the opportunity to buy books. This guy claims he has no access (or knowledge) to that and this is why I found that odd. Even if you do not have to belong to an association, you likely have some avenue to purchase these books. The rulebooks and casebook come with our dues and we have to pass a test every year. I am not saying that is not the case in Kansas, but never heard that. And I found it odd that the requirement is if you are working varsity. Then what if they need a fill in and you are available, you cannot work. I am not like others I am not calling this BS just because it is farfetched, just found it odd that is all.

S/he hadn't even written that s/he worked HS games. That was why I answered as per various codes. But this could be youth football, adult, etc.

Robert Goodman Tue Sep 07, 2010 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 691390)
The rules by topic book is a collation of the rule book and case book around common topics (hence the title). In some ways it's a more straightforward trip through the entire rule book than rule 1 to rule 10.

It's what I use to review the rules before each season.

In the NY Public Library the oldest book with American football rules they had, from the late 1880s IIRC, presented the rules in rearranged form, saying the author's ordering made it easier to follow. It gave the official numbers for reference, though.

JRutledge Tue Sep 07, 2010 06:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Official (Post 691341)
junior varsity

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 691433)
S/he hadn't even written that s/he worked HS games. That was why I answered as per various codes. But this could be youth football, adult, etc.

Well they said they worked JV games. Still that is unusual to not have any access to these books even if you are working those levels.

Peace