The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 05, 2010, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Basketball has a rule that makes artificial noise makers illegal. And they are illegal during live ball play, not during dead ball. If that was the case the band could never play.
Not to get into a basketball scenario but that's incorrect.

Under NFHS baksetball rules:

Artificial nosiemakers are always illegal (with the exception of cheerleaders using non-amplified megaphones).

Bands can only play during timeouts and between periods.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 05, 2010, 07:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Not to get into a basketball scenario but that's incorrect.

Under NFHS baksetball rules:

Artificial nosiemakers are always illegal (with the exception of cheerleaders using non-amplified megaphones).

Bands can only play during timeouts and between periods.
Well the band has artificial noisemakers too but we do not get rid of the band now do we? That was the point I was making. Also most football officials might not understand what live ball and dead ball periods are in basketball rules and it was not the point of the response. Also depending on your state they might define what items those are specifically and how they are to be used and never used (in basketball). In football the band was outlawed to do a lot of things long before there was any consideration of the NF Rules in any sport that I am aware of. Also cheerleaders cannot use (non-amplified) megaphones in my state by interpretation and we never see them (at least I have not in years).

Peace
Old Sun Sep 05, 2010, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9redskin4 View Post
On a side note, after this topic had already been posed, I was doing a game where a fan had an air horn. A player for the team this guy was rooting for picked off a pass and this guy went nuts with the air horn. The player promptly stopped and looked around for the origin of the sound and dropped the ball on the ground (he must have thought it was the horn for the scoreboard and didn't know to play through the end of a quarter). The other team picked it up and nearly ran it back for a score. (great job by the crew not to have an IW)
He probably thought it was a fire alarm or some other emergency signal. Couldn't you have "found" an IW? Doesn't letting that play stand offend anyone's sense of spectator vs. participant?

Last edited by Robert Goodman; Sun Sep 05, 2010 at 08:53pm.
Old Sun Sep 05, 2010, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well the band has artificial noisemakers too but we do not get rid of the band now do we? That was the point I was making. Also most football officials might not understand what live ball and dead ball periods are in basketball rules and it was not the point of the response. Also depending on your state they might define what items those are specifically and how they are to be used and never used (in basketball). In football the band was outlawed to do a lot of things long before there was any consideration of the NF Rules in any sport that I am aware of. Also cheerleaders cannot use (non-amplified) megaphones in my state by interpretation and we never see them (at least I have not in years).

Which is why my post says "Under NFHS Rules." Nobody can address all the screwy things different states come up with.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Sep 06, 2010, 05:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Which is why my post says "Under NFHS Rules." Nobody can address all the screwy things different states come up with.
You are right, but people may need to review their state rules or policies and interpretations so they know what to do. The rulebook can always say one thing, but the things you do in your state is another thing. This is a situation that clearly has some local application because the punishments might be different from one place to another.

Peace